Derailed, update.

• 17 replies
  • 49 subscribers

When my husband of 25 years told me last year that he was seeing someone else, a woman 25 years younger that he'd had a fling with once  before I was devastated. We'd had some difficult times, but he said he wanted to be there for me after my incurable diagnosis. 

This is where I came for support, and to a large extent this support is what got me through. Some had experienced similar and worse situations, so many people rallied round. 

I kicked him out, and did not recognise the man that came to the house throwing his weight around and insisting he'd done nothing wrong. He even looked different physically, so angry and it seemed to me, cruel. 

And then one day my husband walked back in the door. All I know is that he'd spoken to our youngest son a few days before hand, but the man I married came back. 

Maybe he had some sort of break down or mid life crisis, but since my terminal diagnosis I have chosen to be guided by how he treats me and how he makes me feel, rather than try and make sense of what happened.

We have talked and talked, more in a few months than in the 4 years since the cancer came back. His biggest fear is not being strong enough for our sons. We have not talked about what happened last year or the other woman. 

My councillor says he shows by his actions how much he cares, and I agree. He's frankly amazing! 

I'm glad he's home. xx

• First off Tina, you know there's no such thing as TMI in this group. Lol. Anything and everything is fair game to be shared and talked about. I think it would take a LOT to make us think 'whoah, too far!' lol

Then secondly, are you going to Kefalonia too, you're just missing off the list so I wasn't sure? If so, ooooooooooo! Very jealous! Fingers crossed health holds up and you have an amazing time!

I look forward to hearing all about it! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Tinalay

Hi

I am glad that my sharing my nightmare and how I coped helped you. I feel as though I am in a good place now and that I have reached it fairly rapidly, all things considered. August 6 would have been our 20th wedding anniversary and I didn't remember or even think about it until my mother in law (well ex mother in law I suppose but let's leave it at MIL) sent me a whatsapp at 11pm. 

I think your holiday sounds lovely. Will you be able to let everyone look after you? I can highly recommend it. My family looked after me on holiday so I could put what energy I had into the fun things. I think they enjoyed it and it made them feel needed; I certainly enjoyed it once I had managed to let go. 

Your son sounds like he's one of the good ones. You must be very proud

Lots of love

xx

• Tinalay and Daloni, you’ve made me realise how lucky I’ve been to have my wonderful husband throughout  all of this. Perhaps I should tell him more often. 

• You're right Lass, this group is pretty resilient and not easily shocked.

Yes, me too! One of my better ideas.Smile We have an apartment on the beach with an outdoor pool overlooking the sea, 5 mins walk to the nearest bar & restaurant, 10 mins walk to an underground lake and a mile away from the nearest town.

I've had to cancel 3 weekends away at the very last minute since May because of complications from this chemo, and have a review with the Oncologist the week before, so just have to stay out of trouble for a few more weeks...

Daloni, I'm so glad you had such a good holiday and were able to let the family look after you. You are incredible. I couldn't have coped with a marriage and new baby, and you handled it all with such grace and dignity. Your ex's chickens will come home to roost.

Enough of him. You deserve every happiness with your family and friends, and to be in a good place for a long, long time.

Maybug, it's good to know you have a wonderful husband. Yes, tell him as often as you can! 

Love to all xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • Well, now I know how much he has changed! I'm so pleased he put alcohol behind him so that he could have his family and his "life" back!  Early on in our marriage my husband started staggering home at all hours! Part of the trouble was, he had an expense account for entertaining but if he didn't use it he couldn't have the cash equivalent! Our children were one and four at the time and were in bed early, so that was me in for the night. I let it go for a while until one night the police brought him home, saying they picked him up when he was staggering in the middle of the road on his way home. The policeman in charge was a neighbour or he'd have spent the night in jail!  Next day, I phoned my sister and asked if the children and I could stay with her for a bit, I was in such a state she came over right away. My husband was at work, so I left him a message saying if he continued to get drunk, he could live on his own as I wasn't willing to bring our children up not knowing if he had been run down by a bus when he didn't arrive at his usual time! We stayed with my sister for four or five days and he came over pleading for us to come home. I told him actions speak louder than words and was he willing to go to AA so that I knew he was serious!

That was 42 years ago and he has been T-total since that day because he realised how much he had to loose! I know exactly what you mean when you say you got the man you married back! We celebrate our 48th Wedding Anniversary on 2/10 and apart from that one time we have been a very happy family and still are!  I'm so pleased for you Tinalay and glad your son feels he can now move in with his girlfriend because he has no need to worry about you any more! That's fantastic! Daloni, I'm so sad things didn't work out for you and your ex but if his mum hasn't seen his new son, to me that says it all! Sounds like you and your gorgeous girls are doing just fine. They obviously take after their mum!

Oh so sorry for rambling on, I blame this ridiculous time in the morning, when I've nothing to do but think and reading your post brought back the memories! I hope everyone else is asleep and you rest up until you go on your holiday to save your strength for that!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Morning Annette,

Sleep deprivation is a from of torture, how do you survive? Hope you got some sleep last night

48 years of marriage, mostly very happy, is an amazing achievement, congratulations! Your husband made a life changing decision when he went T-total, and put his family first. There's such a drink culture in this country and in some professions. My father was an alcoholic, so I know something of the trials and tribulations. You saved yourself and your family a great deal of heartache.

Thanks you for your encouragement. It feels like a new chapter, and it's lovely to see both my sons settled and happy with their partners.

They have chosen to stay in the York area because of my diagnosis and prognosis so I'm very lucky.

Have a lovely Bank Holiday Weekend everyone, can't wait to try out my new sun loungers Sunny xx 

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • Hi Tinalay, Yes I know how lucky I've been! Poor you having to grow up with your dad drinking. You see I think the problem with me was my mum & dad weren't drinkers except maybe a glass of wine at a special occasion etc but all my husband's family drank and were drunk quite a bit. I just wasn't used to it!

Yes it is a new chapter, a new beginning for you all! You never know, the next thing you'll be telling us MIGHT BE you'll be grandparents soon! How good would that be! It's terrific when your family live close to you! Our daughter and family live on the same drive, 8 doors downwind our son and family are less than a ten minute drive away! We see them all regularly!

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend! It's our son's birthday tomorrow, so we are all going out for a family meal! Last Friday it was for my birthday tomorrow it's his birthday! The children love it when there's birthday cake about!

Take Care 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!