Advanced care

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 30 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hello everyone sorry 4 yet another hard question but everyone helped me so much with my last one .....Had a appointment last week with my palliative care nurse she ask what were my wishes  4 my care .? if this is not hard enough to come to terms with......I replied idont want 2 b at home I dont think that would b fair to my children when I'm at the stage where I am unable to stay awake when I not able 2 eat when I stop washing myself when I stop eating ...her respond was it's fine if u r not ready 2 talk about it yet ... WHAT I just gave a answer .. how do I answer  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi Annette

Appointment went well a lot better than I expected 

Going to continual with chemo oncologist was very happy with my open wound she said it looks a lot better she was worried about the bit inside being black she was thinking I would have got a infection  (sepsis ) n I would not b strong enough to fight it she said going 2 increase to 6 chemo next week will b my 3rd what worried her was I mite not b able to have radiotherapy as very close 2 where i had it b4 she is going to do a scan after my 4 chemo then put me on hormone therapy  . Other questions i ask she said couldn't give me a honest answers but i should keep in mind there r lots of new treatments that come out 4 secondary breast cancer but going to do her best 2 keep me alive 4 many years to come it all boils down how the cancer responses to the chemo 

Kym 

I feel like a big weigh has been lifted I know they cant say your cancer has gone but my out look looks good I think as long as I stay as positive as everyone on this site I stand a good chance 4 a good few years to come 

xxx

• Hi KYM, I'm so pleased you had a good consultation, it makes such a difference when you know the oncologist is listening to you and answering your questions as best they can! My oncologist also spoke of the new treatments coming out all the time and that she was going to try her best for me! What more can you ask! Where there's Life, there's Hope!

Now when you said about thinking about death and funerals after diagnosis, that's normal human nature! I remember my daughter saying to me when she was pregnant that until she was pregnant herself, she hadn't noticed just how many pregnant women there were around or how many women were pushing prams! When we have something on our mind we notice everything about it more!

Now, you said about me and others here being strong! In fact I don't feel strong but just try to have a positive attitude. I've always been a cup half full person and that hasn't changed. I do think it is just that some of us here have had our diagnosis a lot longer than others, so we have come to accept it and realise we can't do the things we used to without help! I'm glad you feel you can ask now, the next thing is not to feel quilty about it, that takes a bit more effort but I'm sure you are already on your way! Good luck with the chemo, remember to rest when you need to! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi Annette

Thank you so much 4 your words of encouragement   I wanted to share with you my son came home with a present 4 me he said it was to keep me busy during the day 

I called him banjo a 10 week old cocker spaniel  

Kym x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Welcome banjo 

my dog keeps me active ,I have big family but the dog is an adored member of my family too

enjoy banjo

xxxxxx

• FormerMember

Thank you 

Xxx 

Kym

• Yes Kym

Things that you used to gloss over, now stand out like a sore thumb! Having an incurable diagnosis just turns your life upside down and you can't think straight. As Annette says, some people in this group are still alive after many years. I was diagnosed around the same time as Annette, March 2015, and I thought I wouldn't see my 60th Birthday and I wouldn't see my grandson growing up. I was very upset and had to have counselling. I am now 61, my grandson is 3, and I am making plans for at least the next 2 years! 

Keep strong Kym

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi tvman

Thank you  I can only hope I get to enjoy my grandson growning up 4 a few more years I'm pleased you have seen your grandson grow n continue to enjoy start of school I can tell u it amazing when you stand in the playground n hear NANA but in your cass grandad or what he calls u . It is all so hard time when u dont see as much of him due to school but wait till the pictures start coming your way its truly amazing. 

Thank you again tvman I will and have been very strong today n feel alot more happiness within myself 

Kym xx

• FormerMember

Hi kym66,

wow yes you’ve been the mill, I am glad you can carry on with chemo and fingers crossed that goes well. It’s a mind field with all these new drugs coming out but good. I love your pic of your new pup enjoy your cuddles.

best wishes

• FormerMember

Thank you daisy

xxx

• Hi Tvman, As you say everything changes with our diagnosis! In actual fact I am two years ahead of you, being diagnosed in 2013 when our only grandchild was just over one year old! I remember thinking I would never see her in her school uniform and it upset me terribly. Our son got married two months after dx and then in Aug 2014 our grandson was born, I couldn't stop the tears when I first held him. Our third grandchild was born in April 2015, so more flowing tears of joy. Our eldest granddaughter is now 7 and going into primary 3, her sister is now 4 and starts school next year! Our grandson will be 5 on 6/8/19 and starts the same primary school as his cousin in August!  Just being around them brings me great joy. I'm sure they have kept me young at heart and my 70th birthday is next August and we can't believe I'm still here! For my birthday we are about to book a family holiday (my husband & I will pay for all) & I can't wait! Of course it has to be within the school holidays but who cares! Im sure you will see your grandson in his school uniform in a couple years time and who can say if you will have another grandchild by then! We are so very lucky! So for all the people with recent diagnosis, please take heart, we felt the way you did! At the start it was like being on a rollercoaster of appointments, scans etc you couldn't get off! Things do get better!

HAVE  A  GREAT  WEEKEND  ALL!!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!