Megace is no more

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 44 subscribers

So there I was, all chemist's were saying there were shortages of this medicine (which I take for spread womb cancer). So, surgery arranges for me to pick up a supply at my cancer hospitals pharmacy. Great. Go there, duly given supply but told point blank by the pharmacist that the manufacturer has stopped making it. Tears. (Me, not him!) What a shock to my system. The nice young pharmacist took my details, said he would phone my onc then phone me. He did this, so I have found out that I am to go on to Provera. I am grateful that there is something else I can move on to, but my nerves are shattered. Hope nobody else finds things out like that. Never expected a problem such as that to arrive, out of the blue. 

I am glad I have my garden to work on tomorrow to help my sanity. 

Bless all you wee chickens on this site

Alison xxx 

• Just a note for anyone on Provera..... 

They've got another manufacturing fault, this time with the 10s. So if you're on a dose with 'bits', then you may have issues for the next month or two, depending on how long this fault lasts.

My pharmacy just called me to say they've managed to get 30 tablets for me. As I need over 450 for a month, that's a problem! They're calling all their other branches to see what they can find for me, and are delivering what they've got on Friday. 

Luckily on Monday, I'm seeing my hysteroscopy nurse for a hysteroscopy..... That'll be fun with my abdomen all sore and swollen topped with whatever added discomfort from the liver biopsy tomorrow..... So I'll be able to ask them about a dose alteration while there's a fault.

But if anyone has a prescription refill coming up, you might want to get it sooner rather than later to make sure you get enough tablets! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi Alison (Bellabongo) Well it seems you are not alone in this problem about your meds! Although I'm not on either of the drugs mentioned, I can relate to you crying in the pharmacy! There was a shortage of the drug I had been on for over a year and when I went to the oncologist and then to the hospital pharmacy to get my usual months supply, he said he had none to give me! Boy did I panic and cry a lot! He assured me as soon as he got them in, he would call me, so that my husband could go and collect them and he would put them aside until he got there! I think I was without any for about 5 days and was sure I wouldn't survive! That too was some kind of problem with the container and the info on it! I hope this gets sorted for all of you very quickly!

In the meantime, as you say, one day at a time. Oh and if you run out of weeds, I have plenty to keep you occupied!! LOL!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!