Green Hands

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Now that's an interesting title!

So last week the veins behaved & let me b cannulated at the 1st attempt. But 2day was a completely different story. Every nurse on the unit had a go. I lost count 6,7,8 - I'm not sure how many attempts. Vein after vein "blew". National shortage on elastoplast! That's cos it was all attached 2 me! No spare anaesthetists- they were all in theatre or A&E. No plebotomists - all finished 4 the day (I was there 3 hours in total 4 an infusion that lasts 5mins....)

They mentioned those dreaded words again - how about "a line"? Aaaggghhh no thank u. Bn there, had the t-shirt, don't want 2 go there again.

Gonna 4get about it & enjoy my hols - we leave on Tues although teenager is whining about her sore knee. Hope I don't have 2 weeks of that... Good news is she hasn't torn her ACL but she thinks the ligament damage should get fixed instantly with a magic wand. FFS! She doesn't appreciate the private consult & private MRI scan we forked out 4. I could do with a magic wand 2 grow some money.

Oh well. Off 2 bed 2 clart on the Arnica

Night folks

WB x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Button

That's a bugger about the scan results. How do u feel in urself? As mentioned in another post my scan results were good & bad. Now have my appt 2 c the surgeon but that will b on Mon.

My Onc has stopped the Eribulin after 1 & 1/2 cycles as it wasn't working. Now due 2 start "EC" a week Friday, unless the surgeon says otherwise.

I tried the cold cap but it didn't work 4 me this time (it did 4 years ago). The Eribulin caused the hair 2 start coming out again & on Sunday j just hacked away at it as I was losing big handfuls everytime I touched it. Bn told the "EC" will cause it 2 fall out anyway....

Holi-bobs were fab. Almost a distant memory already. Daughter now packed & we drop her off at the airport 2morrow (at silly o'clock) 4 her 9 weeks at US summer camp.

Good luck 4 2morrow- - let us know how it goes.

TTFN

WB xx

• FormerMember

I've been in a lot of pain which is only going by taking lots of pain killers so I think they are going the chemo will help the pain. My onc doesn't think the cold cap will be effective so I guess I'll just have to rock the 'Cancer look'

Good luck with the surgeon. I know you were undecided about it. 

Oh 9 week holiday sounds great lol x

• FormerMember

Sorry to hear your news   hopefully eribulin is the wonder drug for you.  I am also on it.  Had 2 cycles along with radio at the same time.  Haven't found it too bad, still working and managing with the kids etc.  I hope they get your pain under control. Xxx

Sorry to hear Eribulin didn't work for you WB, but glad they have found something else for you.  How did they decide it wasn't?   These horrible cancers certainly seem to be annoying with finding the right drugs.  I don't think I have had more than 4 months on one!

Sending hugs to you both x

• FormerMember

Thanks . I'd love a long stretch on a drug that doesn't have to many side effects!

Can I ask a question.... how is your child care? Calli is 2 and I try and have her with me as much as possible but I'm finding with the pain I need to have more help.  It's catch 22 I don't want to be away from her but at the same I need breaks lol. Any advice is appreciated. 

Good luck on the eribulin I hope it lasts for ages xx

• FormerMember

Thanks.Daisy Doo. I was able to tell the Eribulin wasnt working by the continued growth of alien boob & also baby alien boob. They look a right mess now & though the tumours haven't broken the skin (yet), theres bn chaffing right were the underwire of my bra sits - have reverted to wearing sports bras & crop top thingys. I also have an enlarged lymph node under my arm.

It's funny how u know urself things aren't working despite the medics saying "give the treatment time..."

Not sure about the next one - all depends on wot the surgeon says. I have a depressing feeling he'll say no but wot else will I do?

Abs knackered now as we were up at 4am & took child 2 airport & back by 8am. A 120 mile round trip 

#lazyday #sofawednesday #matchsticks4myeyes

Ciao all

WB xx

• FormerMember

Yuck early starts are never fun.  Afternoon nap time?!!

I also call mine an alien boob!  Seems to be similar in description and intelligence. Stupid things.   Will have everything crossed that they just move on down the list of things to try.  Doesn't seem right that they shouldn't. 

my littlest goes to nursery 3 days a week while I am at work/or having treatment!  He loves it there - is great for learning,  confidence, friendships etc.  I think it also helps them when they start school.  I then try to do fun things etc on my.days with him.  Sometimes depending on circumstances you are entitled to funding for free childcare from 2 years or you may get help with tax credits  (the childcare element)   I don't think she is quite old enough for pre schoold yet as I think that is 3 but even if she went 1 day a week that would give you a break and hopefully give you the energy/time on the other days.  Have a little look round your area, there are big chain nurseries, smaller ones as well as childminders

• FormerMember

Thanx daisydoo. She does 1 day a week at the mo at the local nursery which she loves. I tried getting her im after chemo day but they are fully booked. 

• FormerMember

Maybe speak,with your doc.  I originally had chemo on a Friday.  I explained that that was one of my days at home with LO + it affected my weekend.  She asked what day I'd prefer and they moved it all for me from the next cycle.   I'm sure they will be able to accommodate to make your life better xx

• Yes, mine were accommodating too. I had a few clashes and logistical issues with kids and they always accommodated me. Was very grateful. Worth asking. 

Hope you're coping okay with the treatment, I think being sick and having to look after a small child should be classified as torture. No matter how lovely they are and how much you want to be with them, being really unwell is hard around tiny humans. Hoping you have lots of help so you can just enjoy the cuddles.