All the best for Wednesday

• 40 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi Annette,

Just wanted to wish you all the best for your operation on Wednesday and a good recovery afterwards.  Hopefully it will be a complete success.  I have mild compression of the spine and at some point in the future might need a similar operation.

love and hugs,

Gragon xx

• I may have missed you, as with the early start you may be having an early night, but I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!

I hope all goes well, and you get the best outcome possible with the least side effects!

Take care and good luck!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Bon voyage, my friend . I hope the nurses are kind, the surgeons are skilful and that everyone you meet tomorrow is on the right end of a good night’s sleep. 

Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I hope the surgery went well, anndanv, and that you were able to sleep last night. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a significant reduction in pain. 

• Hi Everyone, Well we arrived at 7am to be told I was first on the list at 9am, I didn't get a proper kiss from my husband before he left!  I was taken to the Anti-room next to theatre about 8.20. The aneasthatist who came and spoke to me earlier went home sick, so all change! At 9.10 the surgeon came to the door asking what the hold up was, the aneasthatist said quite sheepishly "sorry boss, can't seem to get a vein for the cannula! He apologised to me then said he'd need to put me back on the list, so he could get started! It took them over 2 hours to get the IV set up! Then when I awoke, they had problems in recovery room, trying to control the pain. I got to the ward about 7.20! Night nurse was lovely but the shift changed and my nurse was a Bull in a China Shop, when she asked if I wanted a bedpan, I said no thanks, if you give me my crutches I'll get up to the toilet. She laughed and said I'd never make it but of course I  did. By the time the physio came, I had been up for ages and she couldn't believe it. She asked who I  had at home and what about stairs? I said I had my husband at home and a stair lift. She asked when I wanted to go home, I said NOW! So I got home about 16.30ish Thursday!

My McM Nurse phoned me and told me the Scans were clear and any problems just phone her! That was great news!

Now I have our granddaughter's 4th Birthday to look forward to on I April and getting stitches out in the afternoon! Home &a Happy!

Thanks to everyone who wished me well, by posting on a thread or by pm I really appreciated it! You guys are just amazing!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi Annette

sorry you had all the very many hold ups, but very happy at the outcome for you

lots of love and enjoy sleeping in your own bed

Gaynor

xxx

• Thanks Gaynor, I did manage to sleep a bit, in my own bed, what a difference to wake up in the morning to birds singing, instead of the hospital noises, buzzers buzzing, doors banging, the clattering of the painkilling trolley etc etc. I hadn't eaten anything since 10pm on Tuesday night until the early hours of Thursday morning when the night nurse came in with tea and toast. The Bull came clattering later in the morning and almost threw my breakfast (2 desert spoonfuls of cereal) at me! Are they trying to cut down??? No toast, roll and jam, (which you always got) and a cup of tea! I  Wonder where the rolls are going?

I've had a lovely day today! Our daughter in law popped in this afternoon, which was great as she is good company! Then tonight we all went for an early family meal! Terrific! This Tuesday we are going to school to see our granddaughter's class entertaining us as their project is History! It is always lovely being invited to the school! I'm definitely on the mend and I'm sure it's been all your prayers and good wishes that has helped! Thanks again!

I was sad to read that PhilB was moving on, I will miss him and wish him all the best!

Also I read TVman 'liked' a post, so he's back! Welcome back from me! 

I've got my next oncology appointment for September 23rd and scans etc will be before that!

Thanks again, sending you ALL  LOVE & HUGS, Whether you need them or not! BTW, I'm going to complain about that nurse as I can just imagine my wee next door neighbour (who's 84)  trembling with fear if she was spoken to like that! Her daughter lives abroad and she wouldn't argue. I've had many drains taken out but the roughness with which she did it was uncalled for! A lot of people won't speak for themselves and have no one to speak for them! I honestly don't know why she became a nurse, in the first place! The rest of the staff were friendly but she never smiled unless she made a sarcastic joke! She will not be missed! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Annette

Great to have you back again after your somewhat troubled hospital stay, and you had wonderful news that your scans are clear. I too have had incidents of hospital staff trying to find my deep veins, ending up black and blue in the process.  

Your family must be delighted that it's a case of so far so good. Your granddaughter will be 4 on the 1st April and my grandson will be 3 on the 30th April, and we'll be having a little party for him when he's over at Easter. I'm going to put up ropes in my trees across the road so he can enjoy a mini assault course. Children are lovely at that age when they are beginning to get their own identity. 

A nurse when I was in having my last elbow operation had gone AWOL, and she was in charge. Another nurse woke me to tell me that my haemaglobin was very low but as it was 3 am there were hardly any staff around. Well, I know where she was, she had nipped out somewhere to have a smoke because when she did reappear she was stinking of smoke, which is so apparent when you don't smoke. I could sense that she was feeling uncomfortable but she made up for it with her ever so pleasant manner. 

I am on your side when you say that you are going to report the Bull. We know that there are staffing problems but that doesn't change the fact that a nurse can't be well mannered in their approach to patients. Away from hospital stuff I sometimes have a problem with lack of amenities for a wheelchair user so that I can enjoy something as much as an able bodied person which is my right. The days are gone when a wheelchair user is barred from facilities and has to remain indoors. I look on poor facilities in a way that disabled like me or even more disabled will be coming behind me so I want it that they don't suffer the same problems like I had. Sometimes places really get my goat up. The main town of my region has a large square which was beautifully restored about 5 years ago . There are various businesses there, probably around 15 in total and all but one, a butcher's is accessible. The butcher's has a step around 4 inches high, they don't even possess a ramp that they can put down! What they do is send a couple of guys out to lift the wheelchair plus user in. I emailed them over 6 months ago and explained that I would like to wheel in and not have the embarrassment of bringing so much attention to myself. They replied that they are aware of the problem and are looking into it. Well, 7 months later there's no change, I think another email is due. Rant over.

Sorry for that, I was going to delete it but it is important that we bring attention to certain matters, such as your Bull, in order that others coming behind us have a better experience. 

Back to your operation Annette. You know I need a similar operation but can't have it for various reasons. I am amazed that you are back on your feet so quickly, not just that but out of hospital too! Simply amazing when you think that 20 years ago you would be setting back to enjoy, if that's the correct word, I think not lol, a stay of several weeks, especially where the back is concerned. A good friend of mine went in to have a tumour removed that was wrapped around his spinal cord and the horror of horrors happened, the surgeon nicked his spinal cord and my friend lost all power below the waist. Then it's only afterwards when you hear of the inexperience of the surgeon and so on and you wonder how things are allowed to happen. I think you're so brave to go through such a serious operation, well done you Slight smile

Keep smiling Annette and I hope that life will be a lot easier now, and long may your scans stay clear. 

Speak soon

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Good morning Annette

It's all behind you now, can't believe you were walking around so soon and then you get a bonus hearing that your scans are clear. 

The gods are smiling on you for sure, and nobody deserves it more. 

Trish x

• Hi Annette,

glad it is all over and you are home. Sorry it took so long to get a cannula in.

how are you how are you walking now ?

we didn’t make it to Porto because my husband fell out our daughters loft  ( she is moving house )

and cut his right hand badly. I took him to A@E and we were there all day Wednesday and he had a GA to suture it Thursday. It is in a Bradford sling for 10 days until he gets the stitches out .

i did get the money for the holiday back from the insurance and we hope to go to Porto another time.

good news your scan is clear.

i had my scan and eventually after emailing my oncologist managed to get the link to view the images.

The Lung mets have grown and the largest are about 3 cm so I am thinking of having more RFA while it s still possible.

i will see my oncologist in April to discuss it and meanwhile have contacted @lice Gilliam’s in Harley street who is looking at th images for me.and 

lve Ruth xxx

Ruth 

• Hi / Annette,

It's great to hear that you are up and about again so soon (and ready to give the NHS what for).  It is lovely here just now and the last place I would want to be in hospital.  All the best for your recovery.

Hi ,

Sorry to hear that your had to postpone your holiday but is it the best idea to store your husband in your daughter's loft between trips?  Surely you can find something for him to do about the house?  Hoping that he heals up soon and you can head of to Porto.

All the best, 

Gragon xx