Meet up in York on Saturday April 6th from 12 noon.

• 58 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I hope that it is convenient for most of you as I have arranged the meet up for Saturday April 6th starting at 12 noon at The Windmill in York where we had our last meet up.  As with previous meet ups if people can indicate their interest on this thread that would be great.

If people want to spread the word onto the other groups that they are members of I would be grateful if they could ask if people could express their interest via this thread.  I will ask those attending to send me friend requests so I can send any info and contact numbers to them directly nearer the time. I have made a reservation but the venue has asked me to call them shortly before the date to clarify how many people we are expecting to attend.

Although previous meetings have been booked from 12 to 2pm they have continued long beyond this as people got talking to each other and enjoyed the company.  Friends and family have been made welcome previously but please make sure they are aware that the common factor in those attending is cancer and it is likely to be a significant topic of conversation.  Also last time one or two people were staying over on their own on the Friday night beforehand and we arranged for people to meet up (if they wanted to) so that they weren't wandering the city on their own.

The venue is a public house called the Windmill on Blossom Street less than 1/4 of a mile from York Railway station.  On the map attached it is the junction above where it says YORK in bold print. The venue has a website ( Windmill Inn ) and serves food and real ales as well as all the usual beverages.  It has level access for anyone in a wheelchair although the main entrance is over a few cobbles.   It is on a junction opposite Micklegate Bar (pictured below) which is one of the entrances through the city walls.  It has a Premier Inn hotel on one side of it and a taxi firm (Fleetways) on the other.  It is about 100 yards from a York City Council run car park on Nunnery Lane, Council run car parks in York are free to disabled badge holders without time limit and not restricted to disabled parking bays.

To walk from the railway station leave via the main exit and the city walls are in front of you.  Stay on the same side of the road and walk over a bridge and up a slight hill and the venue is the white building on your right on the junction of Queen Street and Blossom Street.

I hope to see lots of you there. Gragon xx

• I wouldn't mind one of those spaces if that's ok hop? I have a blue badge too if you don't, so possible free parking in return! Lol

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

That's fine Lass , will send you my contact via personal message.

• Hi ,

I'm not sure how well you know York but the nearest car park is on Nunnery Lane, YO23 1AA.  Free parking at all times with a blue disabled parking disk.  You can use any space but there are dedicated disabled spaces at the left hand end of the car park as you enter.  From these spaces you can see the venue diagonally across the crossroads.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Gragon x

• Hi , and ,

I've sent you a friend request so that I can share my mobile number and you can contact me directly if you have any questions.

For everyone else,

you are more than welcome to attend and can just turn up on the April 6th if you don't know that you will be able to make it until then.  It is nice to be able to give to venue an idea of numbers attending so we do not cause them any problems but I don't expect the venue to be full at that time.  You should recognise me from my profile picture but I will have some balloons on the tables as well.  I have some Macmillan balloons left if only I can remember where I put them?

I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.

Gragon x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Thanks, I have made a not of all the directions

• Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that the meet up in York is next Saturday and if you are able to attend all are welcome.  If you are at all anxious about attending on your own then you are more than welcome to bring a friend or family member along with you but in the previous meet ups I have attended everyone has been very welcoming.  Although the meet ups were advertised as a couple of hours most people ended up staying for about four or five hours.

I hope to see you on Saturday.

Best wishes,

Gragon xx

• Thanks again for organising this Gragon. You seem to have thought of everything! I'm looking forward to meeting you and anyone else who can make it. xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Tinalay

Hi 

I hope you have a wonderful meet up and that virtual friends turn out to be as delightful in person as they are in the ether. I  am so sad not to be able to join you. 

Have a drink for me 

xxxx

• Hi Daloni

I can't make it either, just too expensive for travel Disappointed relievedI bet they'd rather you had written "Have a drink ON me" lolJoy

Have a drink for me too, all who go. Enjoy the day.

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • Hi and ,

To be honest I'd rather be hearing you both saying have a drink with me but perhaps some other time.  I will happily raise a glass to you both on Saturday.

All the best,

Gragon xx