My father has multiple myeloma and is 90 years old. He has recently come off a drug trial (ixazomib lenalidomide dexamethasone) due to the appearance of new lesions (he's no longer eligible as a result). Two consultants at his hospital disagree and have given Dad different options for treatment leaving it to us to decide/consent. We have to send back the forms asap - no later than Monday really.
Option 1 is to take Bortezomib/Velcade and Darzalex/Daratumumab in the day unit once a week (I've been told this is half a dose as it would normally be twice a week). The staff at the Day unit think this is quite a lot to handle for a man of Dad's age and why would we put him through it?
Option 2 is a gentler option of Cyclophosphamide with Prednisolone and can be managed with tablets at home. Of course, the gentler option seems more appealing, to go for quality of life rather than what might technically be greater results on paper but I want to make the best possible decision for him.
I worry that with option 1 and his decreasing mobility (he has osteopenia in his pelvis and has just had palliative radiotherapy) we might put him through the mill make him feel rotten and still find that despite the length of time it might give him he will have other life limitations and decreased mobility.
However, I also worry that going for the gentler option 2 is easier for me as his carer too and that I am giving up on him if we don't throw everything but the kitchen sink at his Myeloma!
Perhaps it's better to feel good albeit potentially for a shorter span of time. Does that make sense? I've told Dad it has to be his decision but if I could get a sense of how the treatments might make him feel I'd know if we were doing the right thing or at least we've sought a second opinion before just going with a gut decision.