Helping my partner

• 1 reply
  • 13 subscribers

Hello my partner has cancer of the lungs 

I have never been in this kind of situation before and I feel so useless I just wish I could help in anyway please if anyone has advice or tips it would be so appreciated 

Please I am begging at. This point 

• Hello 

I'm sorry to hear about your partner's diagnosis - it sounds like such a difficult time for you, so I am glad you are reaching out. Being in a situation like this can be really hard, especially if you haven't been through this before. It sounds like you are doing everything you can at the moment, you are reaching out to find ways to help. It is natural to feel the way you are right now, but please try not to put pressure on yourself, you are doing all you can and I'm sure this is something that your partner will really appreciate. 

here at Macmillan we can support both you and your partner. We have our Support Line which is available by calling 0808 808 0000 and is open 7 days a week 8am - 8pm. We have our information and support advisors who provide a listening ear, a place to talk through how you are feeling, we also provide information around practical support - how to access practical support at home for instance as well as other support options. We also have clinical helpline nurses who can provide clarity and clinical information around your partner's diagnosis and we also have a Money and Work team who can look at financial help as well as information about work issues. We are also available on Webchat and email too. 

are you able to tell me more about your situation - how is your partner doing just now? How are you? What support do you feel you need? Just so we can tailor our guidance and support you as best we can. 

Have you seen our Support booklets @Tez? It is worth taking a look at these as can be really beneficial. I can see that you are part of the Family and Friends group on here, it is certainly worthwhile looking at this group and others for additional support.  

I would also like to let you know about our In your area search - where you can search for support through Macmillan and other organisations local to you. If you are able to please also look at the Carers Trust they specifically support carers or loved ones including wellbeing support and practical support too. 

I hope this has been helpful and please do come back to us either by replying here or contacting our Support Line. 

Take care, 

Katie, Information and Support Adviser

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.