Financial help

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

I was diagnosed with breast cancer last December and have been trying to seek if there is any help out there , I'm self employed and live with my partner but after several attempts , I have been told im not entitled to any benefits,  this us so harsh when I have worked all my life , I have just given up now the system is too hard to get around . I will just have to struggle on with just my partners wage coming in 

• HI

Thank you for contacting us here at Macmillan.  My name is Rachel and I am a Work Support Advisor on Macmillan’s National Support Line.  My team provides guidance on your rights at work when you are affected by cancer.

I’m so sorry to read that you have found exploring financial support challenging following your diagnosis. These discussions can feel complicated, but it is so important that you have them, especially if you are unable to work and money is a worry.  

You mention in your message that you have been told that there are no benefits available to you.  I would encourage you, if you have not done so already, to get in touch with our team of Welfare Rights Advisors here at Macmillan.   They can talk to you about the discussions you have had so far about financial support and make sure every avenue has been explored. The team is not currently represented on the Ask an Expert forum but can be contacted on 0808 808 0000, options 1, 2 and 2.  They can also be contacted via LiveChat and by Email.  Their opening hours are 8am until 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am until 5pm on Saturday and Sunday  It’s handy for them if you have ready when you make contact, details of your household income, main outgoings (such as council tax or rent/mortgage) and details of any savings and investments.  They will be glad to support you.

I thought it might also be useful given that you are self-employed, to let you know that we produce a booklet called “Self-employment and cancer. It includes practical information about cancer and treatments, balancing your health needs and your work, deciding who to tell and what to say to them, keeping the business operating, and managing finances.

I also wanted to make you aware of our team of Information and Support Advisors on our Support Line who can be contacted every day of the year between 8am and 8pm on 0808 808 0000, options 1, then 1 again.   They can provide you with space to talk and can advise on accessing emotional support if you felt it would help you.

I hope this has helped but please do contact us again if there is anything else we can help you with. You can either reply to this message, email us, or contact us on the Macmillan Support Line directly. We are available on LiveChat or via phone from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday. To call us, our number is 0808 808 0000 option 1, then 2, then 3.

Kind regards

Rachel, Work Support Advisor 

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.