Carer for parent with bowel cancer

• 4 replies
  • 4 subscribers

My mum who lives on her own has just been diagnosed with bowel cancer that has spread to her liver. I live 40 miles away with a young family. I will be caring for mum at her home , can i/mum apply for any financial support to help with my childcare, fuel etc?

• Hi Snazzy 01, my mum has also been recently diagnosed with bowel cancer and the scan will probably show it has spread too. I am interested to see how you get on as I am more than willing to give up my job to care for her. 

• Hi Snazzy 01, my mum has also been recently diagnosed with bowel cancer and the scan will probably show it has spread too. I am interested to see how you get on as I am more than willing to give up my job to care for her.

• Hi

Thank you for contacting us here at Macmillan.  My name is Rachel and I am a Work Support Advisor on Macmillan’s National Support Line.

I am sorry to hear of your mum’s diagnosis and would like to provide you with some information which might help you plan who to talk to next. 

Our team provides advice to people about their rights at work.  We do have a team of Welfare Rights Advisors however, who can explore any financial support which might be available to you or your mum following her diagnosis. The team would be glad to help you but is not currently represented on the Ask an Expert forum and can be contacted on 0808 808 0000, options 1, 2 and 2.  They can also be contacted via LiveChat and by Email.  Their opening hours are 8am until 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am until 5pm on Saturday and Sunday.

I  can see from your message that you plan to care for your mum at her home and wanted to let you know that we have a team of Information and Support Advisors on our Support Line who can be contacted every day of the year between 8am and 8pm on 0808 808 0000, options 1, then 1 again.   They can help you explore any additional care support that might be available for your mum, as well as providing you with space to talk and can advise on accessing emotional support, if you felt it would help you.

I’m not sure from your enquiry, whether or not you work but it might be useful for you to be aware that if you care for someone with cancer and are an employee, you do have some rights at work.  Our booklet Working Whilst Caring For Someone With Cancer provides more detail on this.

Carers have the right to ask for flexible working, providing they have 26 weeks continuous employment and when the formal process is followed, carers have the right to make 1 request per annum and this will often mean a permanent contractual change.  It is important to note, that the employer does not have to agree to this if it adversely affects their organisation. Carers also have the right to take a reasonable amount of time off for emergencies to deal with the person they are caring for (carers don't have a statutory right for this to be paid but may have a contractual one).   This is for occasions where you might have to leave work suddenly to deal with the needs of the person you are caring for, rather than for planned appointments.

Some employers have a carers' policy which is more generous than the statutory minimum required by law.  If you are employed, it would be worthwhile asking whether your employer has such a policy.  If you are in a union, you could also contact them to understand how you could be supported.

I would also like to make you aware that the Equality Act 2010, if you live in England, Scotland or Wales or Disability Discrimination Act 1995, if you live in Northern Ireland protects carers from discrimination by association, as the person they care for is disabled due to their diagnosis. 

I hope this has helped but please do contact us again if there is anything further we can help you with. You can either reply to this message, email us, or contact us on the Macmillan Support Line directly. We are available on webchat or via phone from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday. To call us, our number is 0808 808 0000 option 1, then 2, then 3.

Kind regards

Rachel, Work Support Advisor 

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.