Travel insurance

• 1 reply
  • 11 subscribers

I am travelling to the states next month. In 2020 I had breast cancer and had a masectomy, radiotherapy and currently on hormone therapy. Chemotherapy was offered but due to the COViD situation and likelihood of me catching it with my immune system low,  my oncologist and I decided against it at that time. I am currently in remission and doing well.All the insurance companys I have tried all ask the question, was chemotherapy declined? It was but due to COVID. If I say no the premiums for two weeks are about £300 if I say yes it rises to over £900.Which would you advise me saying? I had all the treatment I was offered at the time. The insurance companies seem to have standard questions not taking into account a persons situation and if you say you've had cancer they penalise you. Can you help please.

Byrony

• Hi

Thank you for your message and it’s great to hear that you’re doing well.

Unfortunately, we’re unable to tell you how best to answer that question but hopefully you’ll find the below information useful.

You’ve probably already realised when applying for cover, that a lot of companies will ask you very similar or even the same questions. The medical screening systems they use are often the same, which leads to a bit of repetition with the questions. If you’re struggling to properly explain your situation with the questions asked, you can ask if it’s possible for the company to manually underwrite the policy. This is where a person would look at your health situation and decide whether to offer cover and at what price, rather than a computer making the decision. Some companies may do this as their standard procedure.

I’d also suggest you take a look at the Travel Insurance directory on the MoneyHelper website which you can access here. The MoneyHelper website states specifically which medical screening company is used by the insurer. You may get a variation of price’s if different medical screeners are looking at your application.

We also have a travel insurance blog on this Online Community here so you can see where other cancer patients are finding their cover.

You may encounter some companies that offer a policy with a cancer-related exclusion. This means you wouldn’t be covered for any claims relating to the cancer. This could affect the premium considerably, but it’s good to consider the risk of not being covered for anything relating to the cancer.

Do you have any travel insurance cover in place through your bank account or a credit card? They won’t usually automatically cover for pre-existing health conditions, but if you’ve got this cover already through a product it’s worth checking on. They may be able to offer full cover if a top-up fee is paid.

One last thing I’d like to mention is about the insurance those you’re travelling with have. Some policies may cover cancellation if something happens to a ‘close family relative’. The exact cover would be explained in your policy documents, it’s a good idea to check exactly what may be covered. Some companies may only cover cancellation due to a close relative’s illness if it was disclosed and they were told about the person’s health conditions beforehand.

The Financial Guides are here to support with questions about personal finances such as insurance, pensions, mortgages, estate planning etc. Please let us know if you’d appreciate a chat about any other personal finance matters, either by phoning, using webchat or by replying here.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Sheena

Financial Guide