Critical illness

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi I've been diagnosed with grade 2 high soft tissue cancer I've been off work after my operation but had to return to work after 2 weeks as I can't manage pay my mortgage and bills if I'm off, I've put a claim in with aviva but got wait 17 days for my answer and I don't know what the out come will be if I'm covered or not any help with this as I start radiotherapy next week and I will have to go back to work if I'm well or not ?

• Hello

Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and your concerns about managing financially when you are off work.

As you’ve discovered, critical illness claims can take a number of weeks for a claim to be looked at and during this time, the insurer will be assessing whether the cancer meets their criteria of a critical illness (for example, some less advanced cancers and ‘chronic’ or long-lasting conditions might not be covered). They will also look at the information given at the time the insurance policy was taken out to make sure it was all accurate.

It may also help to chase the medical team, as delays can sometimes be due to medical reports taking time to be returned.

If you’re concerned about making ends meet whilst the claim is assessed, have you spoken to a benefits adviser at all? We have advisers available on the Support Line 0808 808 0000, Option 1, then 2, then 2 again. They’re available Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, or at the weekend between 9am and 5pm. They can also talk you about your utility bills.

It’s also worth speaking to your mortgage lender if you think you might struggle with your usual payment. Explain that you are dealing with a cancer diagnosis and you are making a claim on your insurance for critical illness. They may be able to offer you some flexibility temporarily until your Aviva claim is assessed.

And please feel free to speak to us on the phone or on webchat if you prefer, by clicking ‘Chat to Us’ at the bottom right of the screen.

Kind regards.

Julia

Financial Guide

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.

The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of buying, selling or cancelling or making a claim on a specific financial product from any company or otherwise provide you with any regulated services . As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice or carry on other activities that are regulated and we are not authorised or regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity. 

The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell, cancel or make a claim on specific financial products or to obtain any other type of financial services, you should speak to a financial adviser or company who is permitted to provide you with those services. You can find a local financial advice firm or other type of firm who provides regulated services on the Financial Conduct Authority's website - https://register.fca.org.uk/directory/s/.

The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information or services obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.

If you need more details on your rights, please contact a financial, legal or other appropriate adviser.

• I don't understand if my sarcoma is covered it said it is but only if it is non invasive or in situ then they don't pay don't understand what a sarcoma is