Travel insurance

• 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

I’m trying to get travel insurance without being totally ripped off.!

I had parotid gland cancer in July 2020 I was very very lucky and only had surgery and did not need further treatment.
I’ve been told it will probably never come back and is quite rare.

thing is I’m being quoted stupid prices for travel insurance and it’s quite stressful.

I’ve tried many different places and some won’t even consider covering me! Any ideas??

• Hello

Thank you for your message and apologies for our late response. I’m aware that you’ve had a couple of replies from other Online Community members in the meantime and hope this has helped.

Once you’ve had cancer, it can be quite challenging to get this at a reasonable price as you’ve discovered. Because we are a guidance service, we’re unable to advise you which insurance companies to try but can point you in the right direction.

Firstly, I’d suggest you take a look at the travel insurance blog on this Online Community here to see where other cancer patients are finding their cover. Alternatively, try the Travel Insurance directory on the MoneyHelper website which you can access here.

You may find that you’ll be more successful if you speak directly to the insurance company rather than try and get cover online. This will allow you to explain what the current situation is, particularly if you ask to speak to the underwriter or decision maker.

If you’d like to discuss this further, please don’t hesitate to call us on the Support Line – 0808 808 0000, Option 1, then 2, then 1 again to get through to the Financial Guides. Or of course, you can continue the conversation here or on webchat by clicking ‘Chat to Us’ at the bottom right of the screen.

I hope you find some reasonably priced cover soon.

Kind regards.

Julia

Financial Guide

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.

The Financial Guidance Service will not advise you on the merits of buying, selling or cancelling or making a claim on a specific financial product from any company or otherwise provide you with any regulated services . As a guidance service, we do not provide financial advice or carry on other activities that are regulated and we are not authorised or regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. No part of our service constitutes, nor is intended to constitute, a financial promotion within the meaning of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 nor an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity. 

The aim of the Financial Guidance Service is to provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your personal finances. For financial advice, including recommendations to buy, sell, cancel or make a claim on specific financial products or to obtain any other type of financial services, you should speak to a financial adviser or company who is permitted to provide you with those services. You can find a local financial advice firm or other type of firm who provides regulated services on the Financial Conduct Authority's website - https://register.fca.org.uk/directory/s/.

The information that we provide you is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. We are not liable to you for any information or services obtained by you from, or given to you by, a third party.

If you need more details on your rights, please contact a financial, legal or other appropriate adviser.