Critical illness claims

• 2 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Just got rejected from a critical illness claim payout, even though my medical report states progression of disease to terminal and prognosis of months. Apparently this doesn't fit my insurers criteria of 12 months or less. Has anyone been through a similar experience and has advice to offer. This is with Aviva.

• Hello

Thank you for your message.  Sorry to hear your terminal illness claim has been rejected. Although you’ve been declined this time, there are likely to be some further steps you can take.

It’s true to say that insurance companies will be careful when assessing claims for a terminal illness. The ruling about having less than 12 months’ life expectancy is strict and therefore, if the insurance company feels that the medical evidence doesn’t confirm this specifically, a claim can often be declined. However, the Financial Guides deal with this issue regularly and can help with an appeal if required.

It would definitely be worth you speaking to us on the phone so that we can help you with your next steps. We’re available on 0808 808 0000  between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday.

In the meantime, it’s important that you continue to pay your premiums to make sure your cover doesn’t lapse.

Please consider giving us a call – we’d be happy to hear from you and hope we can support you with this.

Kind regards.

Julia

Financial Guide

Remember you can also speak with the Macmillan Support Line team of experts. Phone free on 0808 808 0000 (7 days a week, 8am-8pm) or by email.

• Hi

Thanks for your message. After taking the decision back to the companies appeals team I am pleased to say that they reviewed the case swiftly and agreed to pay out- which is such a relief. I would encourage anyone in a similar position not to give up and to open up a dialogue with the insurers as they did listen and took on board all of my comments.

Best wishes Scarlet Flo