Nourish - eating well with cancer

• Recipes from Jane - Mushroom soup with crunchy croutons

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I think wholemeal or granary bread makes the tastiest croutons, but white can be fine too, especially as you already have some fibre in the soup.

Mushroom soup with crunchy croutonsMushroom soup with crunchy croutons

Preparation time: 10 minutes

Cooking time: 25 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients

500g mushrooms
    2 tbsp olive oil
    6 shallots, chopped
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    2 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 litre chicken…

• Making the most of the autumn harvest

FormerMember
    FormerMember

September has to be one of my favourite months, as so often we are blessed with a late Indian summer (fingers crossed we have one this year). I love this time in my garden, when bright, blousy dahlias fill the borders, runner beans take over the raised beds, and butternut squash sit majestically among their big green leaves.Butternut squash on toast

I enjoy roasting my crop of squash in a little coconut or cold-pressed rapeseed oil; these are…

• Recipes from Jane - Roasted aubergines with tahini

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It is an antioxidant called nasunin, which has been found to protect the lipids in the brain, that gives the skin of an aubergine its gorgeous purple colour. But this wonderful vegetable is rich in lots of other nutrients, too – vitamin K to strengthen capillaries, vitamins B1 and B6 for energy and to help prevent heart disease, and essential copper and magnesium. Aubergines soak up fat when they are fried. Roast them…

• Recipes from Jane - Broad bean and pistachio hummus

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hummus is a real favourite, great for a snack or to serve as a side accompaniment to a salad or something simple like a buffalo mozzarella. Whilst the traditional chickpea-based hummus is delicious, I like this one because the broad beans feel lighter on the gut, and the protein from the pistachios provides us with a great source of protein.

Broad bean and pistachio hummus

Broad bean and pistachio hummus

Preparation time: 5 minutes 

Ingredi…

• Recipes from Jane - Bright pea green soup

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Bright green and full of nutritious goodness, this soup is comforting and satisfying, without being too heavy. This soup is delicious also served slightly chilled. Peas are a great source of fibre yet gentle on the gut when cooked and pureed in this soup.

Bright pea green soupBright pea green soup

Preparation time: 15 minutes 

Ingredients

Splash of olive oil 
    1 small leek, finely chopped 
    1 carrot, finely chopped 
    1 stick of celery, finely…