WALKING MIRACLE

1 minute read time.

In October 2015 I was diagnosed with HER2 positive carcinoma & DCIS but no spread to sentinel nodes. I'm normally  fit & super healthy, no one in my family has ever suffered from breast cancer, in fact both of my grandmothers are still alive, so the news came as a massive shock. As the area of micro-calcifcation was very large 4.5x2.5cm I was told that the best option for me would be mastectomy with immediate reconstruction followed by chemo & radiotherapy. 

The idea of mastectomy scared me almost as much as the cancer itself, so my surgeon & oncologist allowed me to have neoadjuvant chemo prior to the operation. I have tolerated the treatment extremely well, with help of cold cap I've managed to keep all my hair &  go to gym throughout the whole treatment . After 8 gruelling session & yet another scan I've learnt that my cancer is no longer detectable but DCIS is still visible. 
My wonderful surgeon agreed to perform a wide local excision but warned me that mastectomy is still very much on cards if post op histopathology report shows any signs of cancer or DCIS. 
Post op report proved that I've had complete pathological response to chemo. 
Throughout the whole process I've managed to stay focused & with help of mindfullness meditations I've stayed positive & calm.
It has been incredibly difficult journey & I don't know what my future brings but today I am grateful. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Nic1976, Welcome to the Community. I suggest you join our Breast cancer forum (Group) group and post your question in there. Just click the group's name and then the 'Join this group' link at the top of the page. You'll then be able to post your question to the members.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jazmine
    Online Community Officer
    Macmillan Cancer Support

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

TO my knowledge mastectomy or lumpectomy are the most common treatments for DCIS. If you are lucky enough to have large breasts you may be able to get away with lumpectomy.

The spread of your DCIS is also important.