Is there an expert out there who might be able to help me?

1 minute read time.

PRIMARY PERITONEAL CANCER I would love to hear from an expert who understands this rare cancer.  I was diagnosed six weeks ago with terminal cancer of the omentum poorly differentiated and assumed to have been generated by a primary breast cancer I had exactly a year ago, but following further investigation of the biopsy, which I am told was sent "all over the place" I have now had a confirmation that it is instead a Primary Peritoneal Cancer.  It is, I am told, still terminal and particularly as it looks like I am not a candidate for debulking, although there is someone in Preston who might be persuaded to have a go - but nevertheless I am much happier than I was as previously I had been told max life expectancy was six months with least time being four weeks, whereas now, if if if the new chemo works - Paclitaxel combined with three weekly Carboplatin - had my first combined infusion today - I might have a year?   Does that sound feasible?   It feels rather lonely having a rare cancer, so is it really that rare?  No-one has talked about trials to me do they exist?   Although I would rather not have a placebo if that is what a trial involves as I have a lot I would like to get done before I die, and would rather not forfeit that time.   My husband is being heroic and incredibly supportive but he is suffering more.  As others who have been told it is terminal may know you are given a strange inner strength to cope with it and it is much much worse for the closer other family members. 

Twicebitten

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

DS thank you. HIPEC looks pretty scary. And I found an entry which was condoning it for giving an extra five years of life expectancy as a procedure which used to be referred to as "A cancer therapy, which has been likened to having patients “filleted, disembowelled and then bathed in hot poison”, is buying time for some patients with advanced cancer in the abdomen". But yes I remain hugely grateful to you for starting me again in the direction of The Christie as I know I will find out as much as can be found out. These peritoneal cancers are so hard to diagnose it would seem. I will let you know how I get on and again thank you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yes HIPEC is scary. It's a big ig operation. No getting around that. But thousands of people have had it and survived with improved outcomes. People can and do get through this. Google isn't always the best source of cancer information. Even if you don't have PMP you might find the information on HIPEC on the Pseudomyxoma Survivor website helpful. Suggest you check them out. Best wishes