My story so far

2 minute read time.

The first step was a sentinel node biopsy. I had 3 lymph nodes removed, the cancer showed in the first, had started in the second, but wasn't in the third. Then it was decided that we would do things a little different, and next I was to have chemotherapy. This was done to buy a little time so I could have genetic testing done. I have had 6 sessions of chemo and have had FEC drugs. I also made the decision to use the cold cap/scalp cooler to try and save my hair. I feel that my age may have given me a bit of extra fight against the drugs. I managed to get through chemo quite well, my main problems were taste, sore teeth and mouth, sore arm/veins, and lack of sleep from the steroids. Also, weight gain, I have put on about a stone and a half since starting chemo. I have done really well with my hair, it was thin to start with and I have lost loads. However, I have got through without having to wear a wig. The main areas of loss were underneath, the sides near my areas, and the top of my head. This has gone completely un-noticed to many as I have just clipped up the front of my hair to cover the bald patch on top. My advice there would be give it a try.

Throughout my chemo I managed to complete a teaching assistant course, which involved a day and a half placement in a primary school. We had also recently moved home and area, and was a full time mum to my kids. People say to me rest when you can!!!!! I have a 2 year old, that was never going to happen. On reflection I think this was a good thing. I haven't had time to sit back and think, and this has meant that I have just kept going. I finished chemo last week and have been offered a job which I have already started. At the moment it is just a day and a half in the school but will hopefully lead to more. Next week I am going back to see the consultant to discuss surgery, which is pencilled in for 2 weeks time. I am desperately hoping I will be having a skin saving bilateral mastectomy. My view is I am still so young and hopefully have many years left. I don't want to waste another year of my kids lives going through treatment again, so just want to reduce as much risk as I can.

I have written this just to let people know that this happens to young women too, and young mum's. You can get through it and it doesn't have to ruin your life.

Hope this helps, xxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you Denzilpants. I tell as many people as I can if appropriate. I don't like to just announce it. However I really do think people need to know. I put a status on Facebook when I was diagnosed simply to raise awareness and the response was amazing. 2 people in their 20's ended up being checked out at the hospital. Luckily they were both ok but if it wasn't for me wouldn't have even known they had lumps. Others said they would check themselves, as they never had before. This made it all worthwhile as some good had come out of my diagnosis.  I also get lots of personal messages from people wanting me to keep them informed about treatment. Again, I think people understand more and hopefully it takes some of the fear out of cancer for people. Seeing how I have dealt with it and just got on with things. Positive, positive, positive. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yes Julie we do not give kids enough credit I touched on this a bit in my latest blog my two are 14 and 17 but have been amazing through all of it. They called me mamma smurf when my skin turned blue after i was injected with the blue dye. They have certainly help with my positivity and fight to go on xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It sure does. Also, I would have hated them to find things out from someone else, or overheard someone's conversation about me. I know they aren't scared of coming to talk to me either. They know I will be in hospital soon, my youngest who has just turned 3 keeps asking me "have you got your new boobies yet mummy?" Think he is nearly as excited as his father, lol. X