The Cheering Squad

• Motherhood and Cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So let’s start by being very honest. As a parent have you ever moaned about the school play or begrudged the school run? Have you wished you were child free just for a few hours?  Have you chatted on your mobile at the school gate, or used technology while your child is trying to talk to you. I’ve done all of those things, until the day I was told I had leukaemia and wasn’t allowed home for 6 weeks. By the time I got…

• I'm not brave....

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Since I was diagnosed with leukaemia so many people have told me that I’m ‘really brave’, and whilst I’m touched by their comments, I always dismiss them, I don’t see myself that way. But I wonder if I’m right to be dismissive.

A few weeks before diagnosis I started some online CBT, I was mentally struggling with a long term back problem. I explained how I wasn’t coping with the situation, and questioned how…

• Does my head look good in this?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

One of the cruelest side effects of chemotherapy is hair loss. Your hair is a truly personal thing, part of your identity, so whilst it doesn’t physically hurt to lose it, mentally it can. 

I was warned straight away that I would probably lose my hair, not a shock, it’s something that most people associate with cancer, and initially it seemed the least of my problems. 

The Marsden funds a free wig for inpatients…