The Cheering Squad

• The Cheering Squad - how friends helped me through treatment.

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Next week sees the 2nd anniversary of my diagnosis, an appropriate, if long overdue, moment to celebrate life and the friendships that have been vital in getting me well and back living life.

Diagnosed a week after Donald Trump shocked the world by being elected as President of the United States, it quickly became apparent that, for many, my leukaemia diagnosis came as even more shocking news. 

My husband and I had a sense…

• Hair We Go Again! Learning to live with cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It’s been a while since I felt compelled to write, but 6 months in to a 2 year maintenance programme designed to keep me in remission from leukaemia I feel the urge.

Maintenance means I am still at the hospital most weeks for blood tests where I share a waiting room with so many people with head scarves, wheelchairs, pale skin etc, a reminder of what I’ve been through. I’m still taking chemo tablets at home every…

• Motherhood and Cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So let’s start by being very honest. As a parent have you ever moaned about the school play or begrudged the school run? Have you wished you were child free just for a few hours?  Have you chatted on your mobile at the school gate, or used technology while your child is trying to talk to you. I’ve done all of those things, until the day I was told I had leukaemia and wasn’t allowed home for 6 weeks. By the time I got…