the first 5 weeks post surgery

5 minute read time.

Hi this is my first post......well 2 failed attempts from my iphone so fingers crossed.

I hope this helps anyone going through or about the same treatment as I have struggled to find much I could relate to online and what I really wanted to know and still do is what is this going to be like, what can I expect it to look like and what helps.

I had a 2.5cm oval wound left after one round of Mohs on the bridge of my nose which was repaired using a full thickness skin graft from my neck. It a long and difficult day and one I hope never to repeat. My dermatologist told me before surgery not to worry and that I should think of this as a mild inconvenience. That's the understatement of the year so far!

After the graft was completed a bolster dressing was stitched over it. This doesn't feel as painful as it looks but once the anaesthetic wares off I took regular paracetamol for a few days as it felt quite sore.

needless to say I didn't leave the house that week! It has to be kept dry which meant no showers or washing my hair but I did manage a bath.

The dressing was removed a week later and it was quite a shock. I had no idea what to expect and wasn't prepared at all for what I saw.

I was only told to keep it clean and that I didn't need a dressing on it. There was no way I was going to leave this without covering it. I went online a researched it and found that skin grafts shouldn't be allowed to scab as this increases the chance of scarring. also they get very dry so I put bucket loads of vaseline on daily. This really helped but covering it was going to be problematic because it is very fragile and on my nose. The best thing I found was fabric plaster on a roll that could be cut and shaped to size. the sticky bits of the plaster stuck to my normal skin and not the graft. Because of the copious amounts of vaseline the plaster did not stick to the graft at all.

one week later and still just using vaseline and covering during the day.

10 days after the bolster was removed. The dissoluble stitches were irritating and had all come to the surface. I snipped of the long ends and the bits of stitches visible gently came away with cleaning.

3 weeks post surgery. A few areas still healing but it's not sore.

4 weeks post surgery. I have started using silicone gel patches as the graft is no longer an open wound, but after a few days I realise I have a slight infection in the bottom of the graft, the bit that was last to heal. Its sore and red. You can see in the photo how red it looks at the bottom. I got some antibiotics which cleared it up nicely.

Me wearing my silicone patch. I found scaraway silicone daily discs worked well on my nose but I have to put a couple of slits in them to get them to bend round.

my first attempt at cover up make up using Veil cover cream. I ordered a sample kit from them to get the colour right and them they discount any purchase with the £7.99 for the sample kit. Not sure I will go out yet though but maybe after some more healing and a bit more practice.

5 weeks after surgery and this is me today. I still have a long way to go and never imagined how tough and long this was going to be. The ridges are going down and it is a good colour match. If it just goes into a smooth patch I will be able to cope with it better. Trying to stay positive and am doing yoga, meditation and mindfulness to help me stop stressing too much. Still using the patches but am thinking of using silicone gel during the day under make up and the discs at night. Keeping up with the massage too.

it's now nearly 8 weeks post op and I am still improving. It does take some getting used to seeing yourself in the mirror and looking different but I am slowly coming to terms with the new me.

me without makeup. It's still a bit reddish around the edge and I think there is still some inflammation but it is still improving, albeit a lot more gradually now. Apparently between 3-6 months it should start to flatten, although it's already pretty smooth to be honest and the redness fades, here's hoping. I am still using silicone patches for at least 12 hours a day and silicone gel under makeup when I haven't got the patch on. Sun avoidance is tricky when it's your nose but I now have a nice selection of hats, sunglasses and don't go anywhere without factor 50 on it, even over the top of the silicone patch. I am also continuing with the scar massage twice a day. Who knows if all these things really help but at least its something I can control to some degree and feel better for having a go. Keeping the graft area out of the sun for up to a year a least and being at high risk of further cancers is a lot to take on board, but such is life and things could always be a lot worst.

me with make up last week. I'm not very good at the cover up make up and wonder if it just looks better without but think that's more lack of make up skills than anything. I have been referred to Changing Faces who will help with cover up make techniques. There is a very long waiting list, 8 months in my area, so if you feel this might be something you want it may be good to refer yourself before surgery.

Thank you for all the kind comments and I am glad this post has helped some of you going through or about to go through the same thing.  

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hang in there jsm it gets easier. I’m 6 months post surgery, back at work and feeling much better. I still have ‘why me’ days but I notice my scar much more than anyone else. In fact I have had to point it out to people who just haven’t noticed any difference. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Indie15,

Thanks for sharing the photos. I have a BCC on the tip of my nose and am very anxious about having surgery. I'm having MOHs surgery and the plastic surgeon said I'm going to have some disfigurement but not sure to what extent until the surgery. This has left me feeling pretty overwhelmed.

Seeing your photos has helped. Thanks again .

• Hi Indie15, Thank you so much for posting these photos. It has really helped seeing them. I have had a graft done on my nose tip, taken from my clavicle - 28mm. I've been seeing the hospital twice weekly, and although the wound is healing, I still have a large black scab they're wanting to get off. Somehow it hit me a bit today (you know there are layers of denial and adjustment) that I may really end up with a permanent disfigurement. Seeing your photos really helped. You look great! :-) I'd be happy to post my photos like you have done (I've taken photos at every stage). Maybe when I've got to a more presentable point (I'm four weeks in at the moment - op was 13.4). How did you do it?  Sending much love, Ilona.  :-)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,  I'm now week 14 from MOHS on my nose, and from your posts, I can really, really endorse.  It's a rough ride as you have no one to turn to in coping with the change in face!  I'd love to know how you are today and what happened please xxxxI'm at the stage where I find I am having panic attacks when going out (first time out, last week without the silicon dressing I hid my huge skin graft on my nose).    WIth regards to camouflage, I managed to do a session with a lovely camouflage makeup lady, but came out with caked on makeup and feeling more dreadful!  THe problem you have is that you have to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours, and there is no way you can remove the camouflage makeup, slap on the sunscreen and redo your makeup! I'll find something which bridges all :)  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi everyone. I can’t seem to view the pics (on my iPhone) but am amazed at how similar Indie’s experience was to mine. although my experience was just 3 weeks ago. Although my bcc that had appeared as a tiny dot, was above my lip and the skin graft extends from near my nostril and covers the top of my lip. Not much talking or chewing some lately. I have found the whole process really traumatic although have been through much more major surgeries in my life. I was surprised that once the dressing came off after 12 days my surgeon said to leave it open and lathered with Vaseline. I covered it today with micropore tape as I had to return to work and it looks raw and ugly. Very hard to get tape to stick in this area. I look forward to be able to cover it with make up though right now I can barely stand to touch it or look in the mirror. Must look in to those silicone patches soon. Appreciate the sharing. It’s a very fragile and self conscious time. I really hate it. But grateful that each day will get better than the last.