Something to ponder

3 minute read time.

Just having a muse after hearing from a friend, that a mutual friend was asking after me and asking how things were going for me. So I thought I'd turn here to ponder and muse, and maybe make others think too.

Why do we as a society, ask people how other people are doing instead of asking the person themselves how they are?

I mean, think about it. In this day and age with all sorts of communication devices and apps and such, it is the easiest it has ever been to be in contact with people. Facebook, Facebook messenger, WhatsApp, Skype, text, email, Instagram, Twitter, phone calls, letters, Snapchat, and who knows how many other things are out there. It can take 30 seconds to grab your phone, open your means of communication, and drop a minimum of two words. "How's you?"

If the person you're messaging doesn't want to go into detail, or chat - at that point then they can come back with another two words. "Fine thanks" and it can end there. However, the person on the receiving end has had some human contact and knows they're being thought about, and someone cares. Or if they're struggling with something, or need someone to chat to - you've just given them a lifeline, someone who cares and is reaching out. Because sometimes, making that first approach when you're not feeling great or are needing to ask for help is the equivalent in your mind of climbing Everest.

However, from experience, this isn't what happens. You hear from this person or that person that x, y, z were asking after you and sending their best. Or sometimes, you never hear people were asking after you. So you're dealing with whatever you're dealing with, and weeks can go by with 0 human contact. You feel alone, abandoned by everyone, like they don't care, you're not important to them, and you've been forgotten. Cancer, and other issues that change your life dramatically have that effect, and patients often feel less than they were. This is partly because of what the disease does to us, but also because of how our friends and family then act around us.

I don't for a minute believe there is any maliciousness meant in this behaviour. I think people genuinely do care when they ask after you to others. However I would love there to be a bit more thought behind those words. Your friends and families lives have been turned upside down. Sometimes for a short amount of time, sometimes more prolonged, and sometimes forever. They can no longer do what they did, go where they want, see whomever they wish.

Taking myself as an example, I worked every day and I was a part of an amateur theatre group. I went out with friends, I took walks, I browsed markets for as long as I wanted, and I could catch a bus anywhere I wanted to go. Now, I sit on the couch and go to and from medical appointments by taxi, because the bus stops are too far away. I can manage to be out of the house for a couple of hours max, before I need to be back because I'm sore and exhausted. And I think I can count on one hand the number of people - friends and family, and I have a BIG family - who get in touch first and regularly. So for me, if those people who keep asking after me to others, actually messaged me directly - immediately I'd have at least double the human contact I do now, and I'd feel like people actually gave a stuff.

So have a think. If there's someone out there you know is having a tough time - don't ask someone else how they are doing. Go to the source directly and ask them how they are doing. Give them that contact, show them you care, and actually be there for them rather than just paying the relationship lip service to make yourself feel better.

Think about it, and put yourself in their shoes.

Anonymous
  • <p> got to love cats! I&#39;ve 3 of them myself. I&#39;m not sure I&#39;d still be here without them, as I got them when I felt my own mental health was suffering from sitting alone in my house all day every day. Now, I have 3 lunatics who keep me busy and entertained. Lol</p> <p></p> <p>I&#39;ve got something like over 100 recipe books here. LOVE to cook, and am a professionally trained baker. Just can&#39;t do it as much as I&#39;d like because of the spinal mets I&#39;ve got. Bugs the he&#39;ll out of me, but I&#39;ve got plenty of drugs and alcohol, so cooking will be happening again this year. Just because it&#39;s healthier And I know exactly what has gone into it.</p>
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    <p>Oooh I have 3 cats too-a grumpy old one who lives in the kitchen on top of the boiler and sheds fur everywhere, a timid rescue we&rsquo;ve had a year who lives in a bedroom and never goes outside, and a big grey boy who is brilliant for cuddles. I would be lost without them. I tell my little rescue cat everything! And she listens and licks my tears away if I&rsquo;m upset.&nbsp;</p> <p>i wish I enjoyed cooking, but I don&rsquo;t! I&rsquo;m very impressed that your are a professionally trained baker. My limit is banana loaf and a Victoria sponge!&nbsp;</p>
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

A very close friend was recently diagnosed with salivary gland cancer (parotid), maybe cup. I find your musing very helpful as I am at a loss how to support him best, and so are many of his friends. Quite a few contact me to ask about him! I have to admit, sometimes when friends asked how he was I did tell them to maybe not overwhelm him with messages and calls as he is suffering from side effects of radio- and chemotherapy and is often very tired. He is hardly eating so that doesn't help either. I now will tell mutual friends to contact him directly, even if it is just a quick text. I call or text every 3rd day ish and have kept friends updated. As his family life is quite busy with two young boys and as he is driving back and forth to his daily appointment in hospital 30 miles away I thought I was doing him a favour but now I see my mistake. Thanks for that!

• I have an identical twin sister, and it's surprising how many people have contacted her to ask about me, but not then got in touch with me. It's so hard for her to talk about, or know how much or how little to say. Right up there with 'you know where I am' one of the most meaningless things to say to someone having a difficult time. When I'm struggling, asking for help is too bloody hard!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm like everyone else, I think I have the answer but don't. To make you think a little bit more try this. We all do or say things just to be polite. "it's a nice day" "hope you're well". Learning a mutual friend/acquaintance is ill no one will say ok, didn't like him anyway.! "Give him my best wishes" is a much easier response for our souls. And what I have learned is the people who do make personal contact, a text, a card, a phone call, these are the true friends, these are the people who care. But never stop being polite, yesterdays "give him my best" is todays "I must give him a call" and tomorrows "hey mate I just found you was unwell so thought I'd call round". Hope you followed this, I got lost on the way myself.

Keith1155