The Work & Cancer blog - advice for employers and HR professionals

• Managing the performance of people affected by cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Here are a couple of case studies to get you thinking: can you spot what the employers should have done differently in the two case studies below?

Case 1: 

A friend of mine, relatively new in a senior role, was diagnosed with cancer. Keen to keep on working during her chemo and with no real knowledge of what chemo was like, she committed to going into work for a couple of days a week. This worked well for a couple of cycles…

• Is your long-term sickness policy fit for work and cancer?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

If you read my blog in March you’ll recall I wrote that, ‘returning to work is not a sprint, it’s more like a marathon and sometimes there need to be pauses along the way to draw breath. It’s not a seamless progression, but a long and winding road. The reason for this is because many cancer treatments have significant, long-term consequences. Some side effects do not become apparent until after treatment has finished…

• Working Carers- The Lost Tribe?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I remember it distinctly. It was just another rather mundane day at the office when I left a meeting to take an urgent phone call. One of our employees had recently become a dad but now – just a few weeks later – a routine blood test had revealed that his wife had acute myeloid leukaemia. She would need to spend many weeks in hospital in isolation and would be unable to care for their new baby. Shocked and floundering…

• Managing someone coping with the long term side effects of cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

If you read my last blog you’ll recall that I wrote, ‘returning to work is not a sprint, it’s more like a marathon and sometimes there needs to be pauses along the way to draw breath. It’s not a seamless progression but a long and winding road’. In most cases this is a journey which can be managed but it is one which needs support, encouragement and reassurance from managers and colleagues.…

• WORK AND CANCER: THE STORIES THE NEWSPAPERS DON’T COVER

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m sure you will have noticed how many stories there are in the press these days about cancer. Sometimes they are about celebrities and sometimes they are about ordinary people who are coping with, living beyond and dealing with varying cancer diagnoses.
    These are always inspiring stories of human resilience and emotional strength in the face of gruelling treatment and often terrible uncertainty about outcomes…