So long and thanks for all the fish

6 minute read time.

I joined Macmillan when I had just finished my treatment for anal cancer back in 2011. I was a bit lost and didn’t know who I was and at that point whether I had a future or not. They were tracking ‘innumerable’ liver lesions, my lymph nodes and a nodule in my lung as well as the tumour site I had lost my confidence after being positive and silly throughout my treatment and was floundering out of my depth. My friends and family somehow thought great you are better now, back to normal and I wanted to be normal and get on with my life if I had one but then what did I have? Plus a whole pile of side effects and fatigue to deal with and a looming operation to put me back together even if the cancer didn’t spread or return.

Anal cancer is rare. The anal cancer group was empty when I joined. I wrote a post and held my breath wondering if I would get a reply and would they tell me to shut up and stop being silly…but I got a lovely reply from someone who had been through it a couple of years ago. No one currently in my group. So, I wrote a blog and got some replies. They made me smile. I wrote a few posts in a few places like Dumb things people say  and found the perfect person at the perfect time. A lady called Sunny Leith.

Sunny was heaven sent (except she didn’t believe in heaven) and we chatted and joked and just found my soul mate and then we set up a thread called ‘For those with a warped sense of humour warning no punches pulled’ after we got worried that our humour and silliness would upset others on the other threads. I wrote my blog called ‘Bummer…!’ and the comments kept me going through those hard few weeks and months.

We laughed our way through the waiting for results and tough times and planning funerals and slowly we found others who found their place and joined Warped… and   we became a family.  The Macfamily and the circle closed round and we loved and laughed and shared.  I got good news in that there wasn’t bad news  'so far so good' and started to build my life back and started phasing back to work. There was a post criticising us and Sunny left the site. I kept in touch with her via email until her death a year ago this month. I still miss her.  Slowly the others got better and left the site and lived their lives and some became real friends in real life and others via email and facebook. Warped eventually ran out of steam (and the earlier posts stopped making sense when Sunny deleted all her posts when she left) and  as we recovered and started to live our lives, the posts became less about cancer and more about other things and then I knew it was time to say goodbye to it and tucked up in the background for one day someone somewhere who might need somewhere to see the black humour in cancer to help them.

I thought about leaving the site myself but then another operation kept me around for a bit longer and then I was asked to be a Community Champion so I stuck around to give something back to a place that saved my life. My ‘living life’ if you see what I mean. I was lost and Macmillan helped me find myself and my confidence and what I needed at the most vulnerable time in my life. I felt and still feel I have to give something back. I hope I have helped a little bit along the way.

But I have found myself slowly withdrawing from the site over the past few months. I am finding that cancer is not the white noise it once was and I am forgetting it in-between the check- ups and all that and as I am defying the odds and seem to be doing ok, and livers and lungs seem to be ‘freckles on the inside’ I am back at work full time and living my life in the new normal that is far better than the old normal. I am finding it hard to reply to posts some days especially the new and scared ones as I think I am getting too far away from it after a couple of years down the line you lose a connection with how it was somehow.

I now know what is important and I know this might sound off but  am grateful that I got cancer. It saved my life. It saved it in how I live it. And Macmillan and the wonderful Macfamily I met on here helped me find it. Who knows what the future might hold but that goes for all us cancer or not and I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to see what life was about before it was too late if that makes sense.

I can never quite put into words my gratitude to those people who helped me. I can't name them all and I will feel bad about naming some and not others but there are two special people who touched my heart and just 'got me' who are not here anymore so...

This post is dedicated to my two dearest of friends Sunny Leith and HilaryB who both died too soon. Others also have died along the way but most of them are out there living their lives and a few are still here helping others and giving their time and one or two still kicking that cancer up the arse good and hard. You know who you are. Thank you. Each and every one of you.

I have spent a couple of days with my ‘inside out friend’ that I also met on here. Last time we met cancer was top of the agenda. This time it wasn’t. Our lives are moving on and cancer is taking a back seat. It confirmed something I have been thinking for a while now….

It is time to go. It is time to leave.

I need to be able to forget the cancer in-between those 4 monthly check ups and I am getting too far behind to remember now to help others. I think this is the natural course of events. People get ready to leave and we wish them well on their way happy that they are going. It is right. It is how it should be. New people are here and helping  and supporting each other and that is how it should be. There are new people in the anal cancer group picking up the reins to help and I feel I can step back and let them do it and slowly fade into the distance…. With a big fat smile on my face. It is time to go. Of course there is a sadness and a wrench too.

So, I am not going to close my account and I will pop in sometimes and  will still get private messages and who knows what my next check up in December might bring and I might be right back here, but for now and today and this week and this month, I shall step back and say Goodbye. I will pop in from time to time but I won’t get emails by the dozen every day and I won’t be worrying about replying to posts and I will step down from being a Community Champion and I know that I am leaving things in the safest of hands.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart my dear dear Macfamily and thank you to each and every one of you for showing humanity at its best.

When we face the un-faceable and manage to stop to help each other along the way, that is something magical and powerful and wonderful and something to celebrate.

I wish you all courage and love and laugher.

And of course the biggest of Little My hugs

Little My x

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I don't seem to be able to see the screen. I must have some dust in my eye or something.... sniff.

My goodness, thank you. I am so touched a bit speechless and well, gosh. I am so so happy that I helped you along the way.

All we can do is try to reach out to another human being in need and walk alongside them on their path for a while. We can't make it better, we can't make the cancer or the loss or pain go away but we can stand tall next to them as they walk their path and let them know they are not alone and some one cares. That is why Mac shows the best of human nature. We are all struggling yet we all reach out to help. Humanity at its best.

Dalriada, it is nice to meet you. I was so touched by what you said. I don't think we realise the effect we have on here. You should have joined in. I don't bite. Actually I do, but I wouldn't have bitten you ;) Anyway, thank you so much. Though  I can't see the screen now...

Thank you all of you and some of you are new friends in new places and you all have helped me too. It is a two way process. I can't describe it but for example,  

Respect, helping you that night, I remember so well. I  have a warm glow in my heart when I think of you and that time. My heart grew and love grew and that is something special for me too. New Year is a hard time for us and it helped me to be spending it helping someone else too but mostly you are such a special lovely person that you deserve help - you gave it back in bucketloads.

What an honour to be able to help someone when they are in need. What an absolute honour.

I'll still pop in from time to time, I think it is hard to just turn off that screen and not come back, but I will slowly fade out. I just didn't want to fade away and leave people wondering whether I was ok or not as so often happens on this site. People stop posting and we never know if they are just doing fine or the worst. So, I'll shut up I must have used up all the words for sure now.

All I wanted to say was thank you and it has been an honour.

Little My x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You were one of the first people who 'spoke' to me on here when I found out that my dad had cancer.  You were there with us as he went down that ugly road.  You sent lots of hugs and lots of love to us both and I know that dad appreciated that too.  The peom that you sent me, I gave to dad and he was touched and said that it is so true, he said "someone once said that happiness is not at the end of any road, it is being on the road, enjoy the good and be glad when the bad is behind you" god I miss my dad.

Sending you huge massive hugs and thank you for being my friend.  You take care Little My xxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I will miss you darling, darling Little My.

You have been one of those who have been part of my "widower recovery". There's a handful of you ladies out there, exclusively ladies too, who have listened to me, read me, corresponded with me behind the scenes and without the likes of you I could not and would not have progressed.

Littly My, My Little My, I know there comes a time to move on, I did that with the Lung Cancer forum and also with the Bereaved Spouse forum. When you know the time has come, it is pointless to hang on.

I will miss you. Here's a one of my special Tim homo hugs just for you.

I have a Brief Encounter moment coming on. Somebody, wipe the soot from my eye, please.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear LM

Damn you. I can't see the stuffing screen for tears. They are just pouring down my face. But that's ok.

Once again, you tell it how it is, how it was - and you understand. You have helped so many people - I'm one of them. So perhaps my tears are also for a time that was..........  it's in the past. I think that's what you are saying. Time moves inexorably on. One season leads to another. The cycle of change, the movement of tides and all that. And no, we cannot ever forget those who have touched our lives in a special way. And no, we will probably never be completely out of the woods in that there will be wobbles, and dark days just because we can't completely forget. And neither should we. Because the remembering (not dwelling on) reminds us what is important. And makes us see that so much of what folks fret and get anxious about is nothing, insignificant and not worth head space. 

But hell - Life is here, now and for grasping. And to keep looking back, peering into that deep dark pit in which we once found ourselves is surely not what is important for us. 

Every day, new people find themselves on this site. It is a very sad fact of life. And every day, they find comfort, encouragement and support from others who are here. They learn, they pass on info, they bolster each other in the darkest moments. That's what this site is about. And in helping each other, they start to feel a little better themselves, if lucky. That's how it works. 

We learn..... we sift facts..... we gain some perspective ........  and if we are supremely lucky, and so very very fortunate, we see we have a choice......  We may indeed be blessed with choice.....

So, Good Luck, Enjoy every Day and from the bottom of my heart, Thank you....

Jen X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh you buggers, you got me crying again.

Molly, your dad would burst with pride at having you for a daughter. You make him proud every day the way you live your life and care. You do him proud.

Tim, I will pm you, but thank you. Thank you. I will miss you too. I love a Tim homo hug best of all. :)

My dearest LittleJen, you said it all so eloquently and in a quarter or the words! I don't need to say more because you know. Thank you my friend for finding me your fellow Little Person and being my inside out friend. You have helped me more than anyone. You are one in a million. And my heart sings to see you feeling your first feet into a future that might just have some light in it.

xxx