No Balloons but Ooooh shiny things! aka appointment with a surgeon and lunch with Odin!

8 minute read time.

So Little My got up early and tried out her new shiny thing from her bruv… a sat nav and drove to the shiny new hospital somewhere in the middle of some unpronounceable middle of nowhere place  in Wales. Oooh shiny hospital… all single ensuite rooms instead of wards and shiny corridors etc. Very empty.

Got to the shiny weirdly colour coordinated waiting room of orange and grey... and only me and an old couple in the corner… oh not have long to wait then thinks LM.

“Little My to sub-waiting area 2 please” shouts the tannoy and your name comes up on the telly too OOOH! THere's posh!

Ah, it’s like those roller coaster queues that they hide round the corner so you don’t  realise how long you have to wait…

So, off to Sub shiny waiting room and nice nurses waiting to weigh you. What is their obsession with weighing you??? Anyway, I must be the only person in the country to have magically lost weight over Christmas… or Its just their scales are different from GC’s! So 1 kg lighter than Friday… sit down to wait. I didn’t sleep well last night and then drifted into weird dream territory just before I had to wake up. So I was pretty tired and wished  I could have a nap. Sat with eyes closed thinking that it would be nice to have the op here, even if no one could come and visit cos it’s in the middle of bleedin nowhere….

Saw a dippy looking registrar standing in the corridor who didn’t really look like he knew what he was doing reading notes and passing people onto SC. Hoped I didn’t get him cos I thought he would just say Oh I don’t know…

Eventually get called in and its SC. Ooooh haven’t seen you in ages he says (He was the one who gave me my diagnosis)  You’re doing really well (hoorah!) He read my notes and I tried to read them upside down cos I’m nosy like that. I like SC cos he doesn’t patronise you and he uses big words and tells you what’s what.

So he says that GC says I am doing well, and he reckons I have a lot of stenosis and maybe baggy can’t be reversed. He says they are wimps and don’t know what they are on about and he thinks he can do it. He said ‘we used to call them burners’ cos they just burn your tumours off! And to think that GC is so complimentary about him haha.

We can leave baggy as it is, convert it to an end one, repair the prolapse or reverse it and see what happens…  i.e. whether you shit yourself or not. What do you fancy? Oooh choices, choices!

I have discovered a scale of Drs  and how ‘OUCH sorry’ they are or not. FC is gentle and almost doesn’t dare and asks if you are ok constantly. GC does dare and says sorry but is quite gently. SC just makes you scream and doesn’t say sorry! The nurse asked if I was ok, he just rammed his finger up there and said, there… that’s dilated enough now  to get my finger up there… that’s all you need!

Oh really? Squeaked Little My….  Biting holes in the couch again…

So, he recommends that I try and get the bag reversed. If I am then shitting myself, he’ll give me a new bag and a better stoma that won’t prolapse and won’t leak poo. He’ll do a bit of ‘stretching’ too while doing the op… I don’t want to know how thank you very much! I’ll be asleep and that’s all I care about! So we didn't actually talk balloons- sorry you lot, no big puns to be had.

He did say that the damage I have is quite a lot and it will probably get worse over the years as the radiation can cause the tissue to start to thin and grow new blood vessels and that can cause colitis and bleeding and other nasty things and I may end up needing a bag again in the future… but this way I should get a good few years at least bagless. They don’t tell you all this at the time, do they?

So, why not I guess. He’ll dilate things a bit when he does the operation and he thinks that will do the trick. (so I don’t have to go ballooning beforehand.. phew!)

He said that cos of the way the wound is, they have to leave it open after the op and allow it to heal over itself.. something to do with not being clean or something and that involves having daily dressing changes for 6 weeks afterwards!! 4-5 days in hospital for the op or longer if I don’t do a poo… That made me laugh that they won’t let you go home until you have done a poo… wish hotels did that- pre-hefty I could have stayed in for weeks! As I am at the moment, I will be in hospital for about 2 minutes!

OK, I’ll book you in he says. Do I have any choice of when? Asks LM hopefully….

Oh go on then, he says . January was pretty much booked up he thought and then proceeded to tell me all the ops he had to do and how many a week he does and blah blah (my god this man can talk the hind leg off a donkey!) , February I am taking my class on a trip and have this course thing in Canterbury so I plumped for mid March so I can have the Easter Holidays to recover too. If I do it all in term time, I will be worrying about going back possibly earlier than I should so this way, I get 2 weeks off and then 3 weeks hols to recover.  Plus they have booked a teacher for 3 weeks in March to cover some of my lessons too. He said March it is, I’ll get the secretary to book you in and he wrote on it Do not cancel!!!! Hahaaa Get in! I think I am very very lucky with my doctors. They are both very helpful and nice.

Then It’s see if you shit yourself or not! If not, all is ok for a few years at least. If I do, then back in to have another permanent one done.  Hmmm. Was hoping they would be able to tell a little bit more before hand but hey ho. Don’t want to stay as I am so I guess it’s worth a gamble of one op or two.

He then blabbed on and on about chemistry and his medical training and how rubbish all the new doctors are now cos they don’t get the training and you can’t even leave them to do an appendectomy on their own and how few hours they work compared to what he did in his day and all about radiologists and breast cancer and had I ever seen a boob years later, cos that was what my bum would look like... eh???? what??? and what he got for his A levels and what board of exams he did and what college he went to and and and blah blah blah!!!

Blimey… felt sorry for the woman after me cos she was kept waiting ages!

Oh and the op is in the other old hospital and not the shiny new one. Still, ems lives down the road so she might come and visit if she’s not off having her stem cell at the same time! P doesn't drive and all my friends live quite far north of me so I don't get many visitors when in... don't mind actually really but it'll be niice if ems comes along :)

The nurse gave me a head tilt when he told her I had cancer… guess most of the others there are just there for other bowel conditions. Different to the cancer hospital.  (well, durr LM of course it is!) We had a joke that I got a bag from him for my birthday last year, so this year, I get a Dyson (Tim’s awful pun of bagless) He seemed to think if  made it to a year without it coming back, there was a pretty good chance it wouldn’t… so fingers crossed eh? Half way there!

Anyway, then went into Abergavenny and met Odin for lunch!!!! He had saddled up Sleipnir for his x ray. Ems was also in the other hospital having her R stuff or she could have joined us too.

So Little My had lunch with Odin the Allfather  aka Colin.  It was lovely to meet him (but a bit weird same as when meeting ems for the first time) I wasn’t blond and he wasn’t 7ft tall… hahaaaa BUT he did give me chocklit and a little shiny thing too Yay!Noce to have me you, Odin.  How cool to have met 2 of warped and how weird that some of us actually live near enough to each other to meet… Ooooh who’s next???  haha.

And back home. Going to take Max home tomorrow morning and stay in our swanky hotel for the night Get In!!!!! Might sneak a photo of it to make you all jealous! Or, I’ll find the name so you can look on the internet.

Hilary, I will wave at the sea for you as I drive past it.

I think I wrote something soppy on my last blog that got attacked by the moderators… anyway, thanks all you lovely lot for your support and love this year. For someone who doesn’t have much of a family, you are bloody wonderful!

Bernard the Brandy carrying St Bernard is trawling up and down the blog with reviving Brandy for you. Help yourselves.

Little My xxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

What an eventful day.....and all the balloons are in Warped don't ya know!

So you got to meet Odin.....what is he like????

Youngest bought LB a book of Greek Myths and legends...what a book to start his/her library....and on Christmas night we were having a daft conversation about what LB would be called, as we have been given no clues. We rather fancied the name Andromeda, but then I suggested Pandora and we all fell about laughing when mother to be said "No Pandora, you can't open your toybox, NO!"

Think consultants only give a little info because they know what awkward buggers we are. Mine was constantly having to think on his feet, and all the West Midlands haematologists were familiar with my case.

Oooooooooh! Spa, swimming and spoiling. Hope you have a safe journey and a lovely time with Max. I'm enjoying time with my special bundle. Can't believe he will be 21 next week. The two of us are enjoying time together while G is out with his best mate. I made us a mean Highland Coffee....and M has left a note by the empty whisky bottle saying that I hit the hard stuff in a big way!

Oh Joycee I believe that P bought the midguard serpent as a pressie...or perhaps he didn't take the hint of the catalogue open on the page and LM drooling over the pic

Hopefully you won't be too far behind in the reversal stakes Tim. Hurrah for Dysons!

Chilling

Louise xxxxx

• What a day and what a sight it must have been to see Odin riding up the high street on a six legged horse carrying a bunch of balloons oops sorry no more balloons YAY. I mean chocklit and shiny things how lovely.

So you beat Tim to the op so you get all the secret missions too. Here's to March and everything going to plan.Posh hotels wow hope you can send us some pics take an empty suit case to load up all the freebies swim like a dolphin and be pampered I am sure you will enjoy it so well deserved .Been a tough year so a nice way to end it some good news and time with your son doesn't get much better than that.

Thanks for the brandy hic

big hugs

Cruton xxxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi you lot, thanks :)

lesley, I am sure I will enjoy the hotel :)

Joe, I have developed a fine art of sitting slightly sideways these days and have to confess I did do a sneaky eye up of the chairs in the cafe hoping they were not plain wood! Better than I used to be when I could only go to places that had squishy sofas or take big cushions with me! Glad you enjoyed the brandy. Give Ruby a kiss from me and have a hug yourself and one for Bev xxxxx

Joycee, the serpent was a bit big to fit in the cafe (I wondered where all the sandwiches had gone!) so he was out the back with Sleipnir! P didn't get me it for Christmas cos they didn't have it in the shop, but he did get me the ice bear one which I love even more and is very very expensive (he told me he walked out the shop when he saw how much it cost but then went back and relented hehe)

Annie, don't apologise for being brief... one of us has to or me might use up all the words hahaaa.

I have to say I am a little nervous about March cos what if it doesn't work.... and 6 weeks of dressings and wounds etc but as long as Hefty stays away, that could be the last leg in this journey which is weird! good, but weird! Hmm so much to get one's head around... and all the what ifs cos it might still come back of course and then that's another operation and baggy for cert (unless it spreads elsewhere of course) Oh imagine if I had the op in March and then the scan 2 months later and it had come back and I had to have an op and baggy put back! Actually, lets not imagine that one.. hahaa.

Tim, you might beat me yet! I haven't got the actual date set and its nearly 3 months away so you may well beat me! Hahaa is there a prize? You should be first by rights... and do you get this open wound thing or is that just me? And yes, your Dyson joke was a classic (wouldn't use it otherwise, though I usually preface it with my friend has this joke... hehe just to negate responsibility for the groans!)

Stinker and Cruton- your reply is mixed in up there  with the others. except Cruton, I thought you were going to say take an empty suitcase to smuggle you in hahaaa. Oooh I bet they don't have a naughty step either hahaaa. And Stinker, nowt wrong with Little My as a name! OR you could call her after my other  heroine Pippi Longstocking. Please read her those books as well as Greek Myths cos Pippi has the right attitude to see a girl through life.... x

Love to you all and gotta get up and take Max back to Devon now and stay the night in our posh hotel (better had be posh!)

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hiya little my....

I'm sure you'd make it the poshest hotel there...!!

have a good one

jackie xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh, I remember Pippi Longstocking well. Perhaps reading R those has given her the get on with it attitude. Don't know if we might be having a little boy....Odin, Hercules and Theseus were mentioned!

Talking of attitudes, I'd always joked that I was not worried about R coming home from Uni to tell us that she was pregnant as she was more likely to get arrested. This came back to bite me on the bum, when 2 terms in she paid us a visit to say that she had been arrested for sitting in a road at a demo. She thought we'd go ballistic and looked so worried, but I just burst out laughing! She spent the night in a cell with a 70yr old woman who was a veteran of such protests, and was fined £100 which she had to pay herself. She's her father's daughter!!!

Hurray for P being brave enough to go back into the shop and spend on your trollbead. Is he still having a lie down to recover?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX