Get the Balloons out, I passed my Pre- op!! Oh no, not the bum balloons....!

7 minute read time.

This should be short (yeah right, heard that before.... you say)

So, last night I spent a long time fathoming out how to get wee in a bottle. I know for blokes it's pretty easy and most women manage somehow, but since my RT, my wee has no direction I think due to loss of fatty tissue or something and it goes absolutely anywhere and everywhere....

Funnels, buckets, cones of cardboard, jugs you all suggested....I never knew you lot were such wee collection experts! Eventually, after several gallons of tea, a big mug strategically placed and a bit of spillage and lots of washing up---a bottle ready for pre op assessment today of strangely luminous wee.... It was a little bottle cos for some reason I find it embarrassing turning up with wee in random bottles with labels still on etc. Next time, I think I may get over this fear with a bit of aversion therapy and turn up with it in one of those giant water cooler bottles... Hahaaa. Can you imagine it... 'did you bring your wee sample?' Yeah here it is... wheels in a trolley with it on hahaaa.

I got weighed on a chair which made me giggle and the nurse was a giggler too so that was good. She said she came from a family of teachers and rebelled and went into medicine. I said I came from a family of medics and rebelled into teaching (which isn't strictly true as it was less about rebelling and more about studing booze instead of maths) I digress what already? I hear you cry... so sooon? Usually you digress on the first sentence...)

Anyway, she is getting her phd soon and said you can't have a nurse called Doctor and I said she HAD to call herself Dr Nurse cos it would be funny. I then got the giggles when she was feeling my glands cos it tickled... and I coughed Oooops bad plan!

She said OH you have a cold. If its on your chest, we have to put your operation off for 6 weeks(!!!!!)

Bloody hell!!! Said Little My. Ooops sorry for swearing,Dr Nurse...  better not put it off.

I'll listen VERY carefully to your chest she says... Eeeeek says Little My.

So, a million silly questions about my house and how many steps in it and what kind of shower I had and then she said

'Do you do your own laundry?' No says LM (cos P does it)

Do you do your own cooking? No says LM sniggering cos P does it. She started sniggering too and said 'stupid questions'.

We decided I was able to look after myself and P could do the rest so all was ok and I didn't have aids or hepatitis or MS and wasn't a 100 years old and didn't get meals on wheels.

The family history bit was funny cos my family had died of everything on the list... cancer, heart attacks, diabetes etc etc you name it, we did it... There wasn't space on the form for them all, so I just said 'I'm bucking the trend (not sure how,exactly cos getting cancer kind of goes with the trend but  for being alive still  is a good buck I guess)

She was so polite and kept saying 'Do you mind if I ... feel your tummy,Do you mind if I feel your neck, etc etc. Eventually I said, I reguarly get my arse out for all and sundry so you prodding my belly and ankles is fine by me... I have no shame.

Ok I forgot to wear a bra. Actually that isn't true.. I don't own a bra cos of the fried eggs I own don't fill a bra except for the teen ones that are pointless and I have to wear long vests to cover baggy. Of course I then get the Listen to your chest... down to your bra. Haven't got one... will a vest do? I'm not shy otherwise so up to you. Always an awkward moment and sometimes I think I should go and buy a bra for hospital appointments but I'd forget or be uncomfortable and who cares anyway...

Breathe in and out etc etc (How else could you breathe I wonder??)

Your lungs are clear HOOOOOORAH!

She said " I've tried and tried but I can't find anything wrong with you" Hahaaaa!

So, I am fit to be operated on AND she said that GC had said he was surprised and very very pleased with my progress so far :)

They want to put me on this thing called an Enhanced Recovery Programme.

I think there is a god up there somewhere that never wants me to have a rest.... cos this is full on!

I have come home with a carrier bag stuffed full of stuff... drinks and fortisips and another pre-op drink and I have to drink loads of these things  for 3 days before my operation. The night before, I have to wake myself up at 3.30am and drink 2 cartons of this pre-op stuff! After the op, they give you more drinks as soon as you wake up and then send up physios and nurses to get me walking straight away and eating soup and have to sit in the chair and do special breathing etc. I should then only be in for 3-5 days whoo hooo so maybe worth it....?  She said they give you really strong painkillers and probably an epidural so you can start moving without feeling the pain. Means you get to go home earlier and heal much much quicker and less chance of thrombosis or chest infections etc.

I have to confess that a bit of me was looking forward to having a rest and lying around for a few days... no rest for the wicked it seems!

No chance of transport at 6am so just have to fork out for a taxi to take me the 20 odd miles there cos I can't ask mates at that time of the morning...

I then get the district nurse coming round everyday for 6 weeks to change dressings as she confirmed the surgeon's thing about leaving the wound open and allowing it to heal from the inside up as it were.

She mentioned the stenosis ( or more commonly known as a tight arse haha) and said" It looks like we will become friends as you will need to be coming in after the operation most likely to have your bum stretched"....

Oh no, not the balloons said Little My... I thought I had got away from those!!!!!

Oh yes, the balloons!!! says Dr. nurse....

So, wait and see how much the surgeon can break up  during the operation and how bad it is afterwards and then how much I need to see her for bum ballooning!! harumph.

And the famous words you don't want to hear ...

" I would be lying if I didn't say that there was a chance you will be incontinent afterwards"

Great. Fancy lying? Ok, that'll be a No then.

"Its also hard for your bum  to tell the difference between a fart and a poo for a while but we keep an eye on you and have nappies if you need them... "

Remind me why I am having this operation?

Off for a blood test 'You have weird veins she says, they go sideways... wiggle wiggle ouch!

probably trying to hide from you lot says LM... WIGGLE OUCH !!!

So, next Friday is GC check up and there had better be no cancer there or all this will be scuppered and I can't think of a use for those drinks...  If that is ok, then back in on the Wednesday for more blood tests and start drinking gallons of millions of calories weird drinks and then Friday operation! Then jogging up and down the ward for a few days with boot camp orders and home for a rest haha. I bet they send the district nurse round to shout at me to get out of bed too!

Oh, after all that fuss with the wee, she didn't ask me for my urine sample. I was just leaving and rummaged for my car keys and saw the bottle in my bag. I'm not going to all that trouble for nowt thought Little My, so she turned back round, went back in to the room and said to the nurse -she didn't ask for my urine sample. Here it is. (Not letting a good pot of piss go to waste, and it was luminous!)

I stopped off at Ems's house for coffee and a natter :)She has a lovely house and I met her ducks and dog and kids... All lovely.  Won't see her again till after her transplant and my op... weird feeling and a bit sad...

Felt like crying on the way home cos even though its nothing like what Ems and others are getting done, I get a bit scared of operations and hospitals and the unknown of incontinence and sore arses and open wounds and balloons...

But, I am sure I see the funny side of it as always! Cos lets face it, bums and poos are still funny even when you are over 5 years old...

Bernard St Bernard trawling the blog for exhausted victims of TooManyWordsitis.

Little My

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Howdy LM!

You do make me laugh you silly sausage! The way you can sit on a chair to be weighed and I find it funny, are you a xmas pudding short of a sixpence?

Well done for getting a GCSE for your pre-op, full steam ahead now. I was put on the ERP for my last op (and again for the reversal), make sure you put those Fortisips in the fridge as it makes them more bearable. The ones I have will be out of date if my op gets cancelled, and as yet I have no date for a pre-op, if nothing comes in the post this week then I'll be on th dog and bone to the hossy again.

I wish I could have gone in before you LM, just to have given you a little boost of confidence, but then again I am sat here smug at the stuff I have learned from your visit. Just hoping that you and I both have bums which will work again, not really looking forward to working out the difference between a fart and a poo. I mean imagine being a fisherman on a river in the middle of no where and getting a farty feeling, what do I do?  Still we will both be going through it together and can share some more poo bum humour I'm sure.

I will say it plenty more times yet, but good luck for the op LM, don't be scared you loon, just stay near the toilet for a while!

You've got it tougher than me, I have no ballooning or stretching to look forward to, just the fear of incontinence. So in sympathy I wondered if you liked the song 99 Red Balloons by Nena?

Tight lines

Tim xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hahaaa Tim, here's to comparing bums!! I suspect I am some sort of pudding... and glad I make you laugh cos you make me laugh... :)

What is it with the ERP thing?? Are they sadists or something? I was remembering the 'Only when I laugh' days when you could lounge around for weeks... first time, was a bit of a rush job- didn't even get a pre op test or anything, just GC getting on his mobile phone and  booking me in there and then with the surgeon... This time, I should easily be back home before you go in, what with the boot camp approach and all that...and I can tell you what fun it is hahaaa. Do you want me to lie???

Thanks for the song. So kind. And if I had to be having a reversal op with anyone, you would be my first choice! So many bum jokes to be had.... 

Will be interested to see if they are doing the same to you as we had different cancers and different treatments... and different ostomies of course too!  Are you getting this open wound thing too? or are they stitching you up?

You get on the phone if you don't hear from them (though you had a pre op ages ago didn't you? so maybe that counts) cos I am not doing this on my own!!!!  Mind you, I've still got to pass GC's no tumour test first next week so be warned... there is still a chance you may be first !!

xxx

ps maybe you should keep a few bags to stick to your arse for when fishing.... ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh LM stop, I'm blushing!

I think my op is just going to be a bit of "nick", not to sure. Consultant said a small cut, I think, and that it would be a walk in the park recovering from the op (compared to removing lumpy) just a bit like having a hernia op. Had my pre op in November, normally they make you have it again if it's more than a month before your op, that's why I'm half thinking this won't happen.

I have a good feeling about GC's test next week, this is one race I'll let you win ;-)

ERP means more bums on seats I think, they'll be pushing me out of the hospital ward as soon as gravy is running down my legs.

Tight lines

Tim xxx

ps I have been thinking about inventing a portable bidet that I could fill with river water in emergencies.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi LM,

Sorry I'm late, but my internet was down again.

Whatever happens LM you will deal with it because that is the sort of person you are. With the whole of warpland having eye incontinence for you there's no need for tears from you!

A taxi from Home to Hossie (Ebbw Vale?) will cost an arm and a leg; is there not a better way? I suppose the 6am start will put off many offers.

Sending you lots and lots of hugs and cwtches and stor stor kram,

Odin xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hahaaa Tim,The gravy comment made me snort my coffee out heheee.

I think the gravy might be running down my legs too :D eeek. If you invent the portable bidet, send me one, cos I reckon I might need it!! On the other hand, if they are saying my arse is too scarred for anything to come out, I might have the opposite problem and swell up like a balloon !

I have a good feeling about your operation happening too so we are both sorted eh?

Hi Odin,

Of course I will deal with it cos I will and I don't want anyone else having any eye incontinence on my behalf....! So, you'd better sort them all out eh?

I'm at Nevill Hall this time, so not so far to go and I'll save the taxi fare in food and petrol I reckon.. and I don't really think its fair to ask anyone at that time of the morning! The joys of living in the middle of bleedin nowhere eh?

Starting to get my head round it and sort of looking forward to it happening now... to be honest, work is so busy, I am kind of looking forward to the rest hahaaa!

xxx