Balloons and Parties

11 minute read time.

Part one: Balloons aka Check up day

Normally GC keeps everyone waiting for hours (I think it’s cos we all swoon at his lovely shiny face and he takes ages to shovel us up off the floor and out. Today I go to get my coffee and she’s just pouring it out when...

“Little My to be weighed please...” booms the tannoy

Oh that’s me.. I’ll come back in a mo... save my coffee please...

Get weighed, get coffee and put in blood form and sit down to wait for blood tests.

“Little My to Room 7 please.”

Blimey! That’s me... sorry gotta go to GC Will come back. It was exactly my appointment time. Wow. Unheard of...

I walked past the office and there were GC and FC and the other sidekick all sitting at their computers and they just looked like school boys doing their homework and it made me snigger. Sit in room and wait and wait and wonder GC or FC...

FC comes in. He is sporting the beginnings of a moustache. It looks funny and doesn’t really suit him and I want to say OMG, FC  what have you done to your face... but think it’s best not to pee off your consultant just before he’s about to ram his finger up your arse... so smile sweetly and say Hi.  

We went through all the symptom checklist stuff and they are still using euphemisms that make me laugh... waterworks, motions, front parts... that did make me snigger and he remembered it was me and stopped it.

He started frowning which is never a good sign in my book when your consultant frowns and asked if I had had my bloods yet... Well, I was about to, when you called me in early for once says I...   So I get every lymph node he could find prodded, and my chest listened to and my blood pressure sitting and then standing and all kinds of weird and wonderful things and then to the main action...

Curtain drawn.

Can I have a chaperone? He bellows out

Are you going on a date? Oooh he’d better shave off that moustache first... or you've got no chance...

Oh no, the chaperone is for my bum....

Nice nurse comes in and says Do you like his moustache..? he’s doing it for Movember (prostate cancer awareness thing) and we’ve been taking the piss out of him for looking silly.

OH!!! Thank God for that!!! Screams Little My I thought you looked silly but didn’t like to say... My mate did it last year but did a droopy Mexican one.

I thought of that said FC but I thought I needed to look serious being a consultant so just did this one...

Snigger. And how does that look serious? Sniggers Little My...

Want to sponsor me he says? Well, you gave me a laugh says LM why not.. and Prostate cancer is worthy enough cause I reckon especially now Odin is my dad...

So, groin feels ok prod prod. They always squeeze my bag too and I think you weirdo why do you want to feel my poo? Are you a scatowhatsit? I guess you must be to do this for a job...

And roll over.... gloves on...

OUCH sorry, are you ok? Yes, ouch, sorry, are you ok?

You know how this one goes by now...

He stops and asks if it still hurts as much as last time (yes) and says there is loads of scar tissue and fibro something.. (forgot what they call it) where the tumour was (did you hear that???? PAST TENSE!! Tumour was... not is!!!!!) and its very very  tight and then he stops and says

“I’m a softy and I don’t want to hurt you. So I might ask  Mr D (the surgical consultant at Em’s hospital) to examine you under anaesthetic cos I don’t want to go further in.. “

Hmmm. That sounds like a lot of fuss thinks Little My and I’d like to know what ‘s there or not sooner rather than later....

I’m a tough girl says Little My. If you want to have a go, I’ll shout stop if it hurts too much. Assuming you are not going to pop anything, I can deal with a bit of pain...

Pop? Snigger says he.. don’t worry I won’t pop anything  Are you sure? Yeah, why not... so he  gets gloves number 2 out.. Ok here goes...

Are you ok? Yes. Are you ok? Mmmhmm Are you ok?

Stop asking and just do it... and I’ll scream if I’m not...

Oh ok....

OUCH!

So, I escaped an anaesthetic ha ha!

No new Hefty growth Hooorah!

After wiping my bum, he leans over to the nurse with the cloth and says is that red or brown?

Ewwww. thinks Little My what a strange question to ask a nurse...

Red she says. Are you sure? He says... Yes, there she says pointing to something (I can’t see cos they are behind me of course)

He leans over to me and says I’m colourblind.

Oh ok. Can’t tell shit from blood then it seems... possibly something you might like your consultant to be able to do, but... hey if a nurse is willing to say red or brown to him, I guess that’s ok...

He is bothered that it is so scarred and tight and shows me his finger. He says I got that up there about an inch.. not even to the  joint and it hurts you. How are you going to poo out of that? How should I know thinks LM, you’re the doc...

We need to talk to Mr D about it and I don’t know if we want to talk anal dilators.....?  says FC.

Ooooh Neither do I. Tell you what, lets not says LM. Can we talk about the weather instead? Snigger snigger.

How many dilators can a girl have? Don’t want to be greedy and I don’t like the sound of doing both bits.. can you do them both at once I wonder... and then I thought I bet Hilary knows someone who would pay good money to have that done to them... but in my book double dilators is a  bit greedy eh?

(I think you all know I have a little blue bag of vaginal dilators I already have to use)

I wonder if the anal ones come in a brown bag.......  and actually that is one thing I would be happy to have remain a mystery...

Or, We could see if Mr D can stretch it....

How do they do that? Just out of interest.... asks LM.

I think they use balloons. Says FC.

BALLOONS?

I am now laughing out loud and he starts to giggle too.... BALLOONS???

So, we don’t get very far on that one cos we are both laughing.

As long as doesn’t expect me to blow them up says LM...

And then I have this image of Little My the Blimp being pumped up with a footpump stuck up her arse and floating round the ward tethered to a bed....

Once he’s stopped laughing, he makes me wait for my blood results to come back just in case...

Of what? Thinks LM but doesn’t ask out loud...

I didn’t quite get to 3 monthly as he said let’s try 6 weeks this time instead of 4... as long as you promise to phone if you bleed at all... Ooooh I guess we are inching in the right direction.

He asks for my email address so I can sponsor his moustache growing attempt. If you are a loony and you want an internet company and there is one called madasafish, how can you refuse?

He giggles and says “Say no more...”

I like FC and I think he might just be my new fave cos GC is gorgeous to look at, but FC makes me laugh... and that’s pretty cool in my book.

So he tells me to nag Mr D and the hospital myself and he’ll do the same cos it will take months to get to the op stage (so Tim might beat me after all now) and off I go for blood tests and more waiting. Nurse shouts round the corner he’s seen them.. you can go. So whatever the ‘just in case’ was, it was obviously ‘not the case’ so off I go!  

So, I have to wait now to see Mr D about whether I can get  the reversal operation or not and balloons and possibly dilators and possibly not being bagless if it can’t be stretched... or maybe I just do poos the size of pencils... or who knows... wait and see I guess and then I also have to see if I can also still hold stuff in too... fun fun fun! And a Christmas treat of a giggle with FC or a swoon with GC on the 23rd December.

Oh and baggy had got jealous of bum getting all the attention so he filled up stupidly loudly in front of FC so had to go and change him in the loos afterwards and then sausages thought they would come out too so had to lie on the floor cos they just would not pop back in standing up....  I am getting a little impatient with my sausages at the moment but no sign of Hefty ha ha!

interval...  canapés and snacks and wine/vodka/cider/ whatever....... interval

Part 2 Party aka the ‘do’

So back home cos I was out earlier than usual, get changed and off to school.

If you remember yesterday, we were having a posh reception thingy with mingling, canapés, wine and dignitaries including MPs and Estelle Morris.

I HATE THINGS LIKE THIS! You have to stand there making polite conversation and blah blah wearing uncomfortable clothes etc. I’ve never managed ‘smart’ I always end up getting it wrong somewhere and look scruffy and silly cos I don’t have those sorts of  shoes and dresses and that. I usually volunteer to do something so I don’t have to be polite and mingle but not a lot of use these days and wasn’t 100%  sure I would go cos if FC had not said nice stuff, I wouldn’t have gone...

This is another occasion where I forgot that of course lots of people would be there who ‘had heard’ mumble mumble euphemisms cos no one ever just says Oh I hear you got cancer... do they? And the head tilters were out in force... aaaarrrggghhhh!

The most disappointing person was a bloke who also has cancer. I saw him and thought Oh goody we can have a giggle... but he came up to me and tilted his head massively and said Oh I am so sorry... and um... well,  and um... how is your son managing? Oh no! He was the worst of the lot. So we had a conversation where I tried to cheer him up a bit by saying it wasn’t that bad really and my son was fine about it all etc and managed to make my escape... so disappointing. He ought to know better.

I ran off and found Simon. He is wonderful. He works in the office so I don’t see him much during school time. But when I do, I am silly with him. I shout “Save me from the Head tilters”  and he says have you seen  the canapés ? and opens his mouth to show me them chewed up... I ask him if he wants to see what I had for lunch and go to lift up my top to show baggy... He snorts his wine all over the floor and I know the fun can start...

His boyfriend apparently knows Estelle Morris and we see him talking to her and decide it’s not fair that we haven’t got to talk to her yet so we tried to get introduced but she gets pulled off just as we arrive. I get introduced to Simon’s boyfriend as Hey this is Little My, she’s the one who’s got cancer and a bag... Oh her... says BF. Better than fat and ugly I guess.... anyway we then trawl around trying to get Estelle to see us and trying to show each other food in our mouths without getting seen by sensible people and Simon keeps tilting his head at me and saying Awww Bless whenever anyone walks past and looks at me. He then asks someone to get up so I can have their chair and I try to keep my face straight and have to accept it even though I didn’t want it.

Speeches and the MPs and Estelle say Nice Things about us. My sausages have been popping out all day today for some reason and it aches a lot so do now want a chair so I can recline a bit and I am feeling a bit dizzy by now. . (funny I can get dizzy these days without any alcohol or drugs or fags or anything ha ha) Doesn’t help when Simon is making you laugh by tilting his head at you all night... Never did get a word with her in the end, but it was fun trying!

I am officially Very Tired now and looking forward to a lie in. What a day...

Bug hugs and cwtches all round to all my mac mates and thanks for all the crossed appendages and good wishes... and the bar is open for whatever you fancy on a Friday night... and you probably need it if you got this far!

Little My x

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Whoop and yay and Whoohoo!! Glad it went so well :-) it's 2am and I'm not sure why I'm up so this will be my shortest reply ever- love you lots - catch up properly tomorrow!! Big nig cwtchs xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good morning LM,

Simply love and hugs to you, as always a good read.  That's another appointment ticked off, hurray.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

oooh hi you lot! :o)

Nin, I have to confess that it was me that introduced him to the idea of showing your food to people. I suspect there is no hope for me in growing up now... lots of love to you xxx ps you didn't mention cake... are you ok???

Drew, the only one did go straight in no messing was the lady GP I first went to... not a gender thing then I guess... glad you enjoyed your drink x

Hi Paddington, teach that Chrisie some computing skills eh? Hi Chrisie... hope you are ok? you'll be glad to hear your little baby boy has recovered from his man flu!

Mind you, P just said to me.. you've gone from being a pain in the arse to a tight arse... Ha de Ha. Remind me why I am marrying him....?

Hi Odin Dadsy... I saw the Ravens this morning in the field behind my house... wondered why you had summoned them. I love Ravens and Crows and Rooks. I always think they look like gangsters and naughty which is why I like them I guess... . As long as they don't peck at my sausages... ewwww.  Thanks for the crossings and cwtches :o) and I didn't manage posh shoes and dress. I think my bizarre attempt to look posh which failed miserably due to me wearing a posh dress and then my felt clogs and wooly tights (don't ask) probably had her steering well clear of the mad looking woman in the corner who was showing her canapes to people...  Swedish Viking cwtches back to you xxx

Now then Amanda... firstly, tickle your mum. Or get her to read some of my blogs... I recommend tickling unless you want to keep her quiet and out the way for a few days....

secondly, how am I going to keep my face straight with Dr D now when we have to talk balloons.. actually that was never going to happen anyway was it? Thanks for the funny image of the caterpillar ones, but in my memory, they were quite big wince wince At the moment you be lucky to get one uninflated up there ha ha.... The blue bag has white and grey contents(very attractive) the full funny account is on a past blog called euphemisms and psycho codes if you want to read all about it)  Quick fit? errr I hope not... big hug to you and hope you can get your mum to stop her poker face in time for Christmas xxx

Ems!!! Hi my fabby gorgeous cariad... oooooh so much love to you for next week.... I will be thinking of you everyday. ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Ems)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))  and young lady, what on earth were you doing up at 2am eh? Naughty girl... I'll have none of that! xxx

Hi Jan... have you got a hnagover this morning? After your Friday night relaxation...? snigger. Hugs back to you too. xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have to admit, I am a little offended. Did not Estelle Morris realise that she was in the presence of greatness? Of a Living (hurrah!) Legend, no less?

... evidently she didn't, silly woman, so forget about her.

I have the same problem with dress-up. I never look dressed up, whatever I wear. My dear Mama used to say that, whatever I wore, it always looked as if I'd stood at the bottom of the stairs and my clothes had fallen on me. (Ah, my dear Mama. How I do not miss her.) All you can do is go with it and wear Doc Martens with your party frocks. Or ... not ever do anything I suggest at all, that would be better.

Simon sounds nice. Cultivate the non-headtilters, I say! Although I do have some sympathy with the head-tilting brigade, because it's not like anyone issues a 'tactful and not-stupid things to say' phrasebook, and anyone can put their foot in their mouth without meaning to. Not literally, that requires more bendiness than I have at my disposal.

I quite like FC, too, although you would think that even if he couldn't tell poo from blood by the colour he would be able to do so by the consistency and the smell. But eh. I will forgive a lot for a man with a sense of humour and a vestige of intelligence - this is why I fell in love with the anaesthetist at the Churchill when I had my lapa-thingy done.

I guessed when you said he had a moustache that he was Movembering. Movember is a bit of a sore point with me, because my brother did it last year, and I plugged it all over my various social networking sites, and only one person responded. Call me childish ...

... ah. You did.

... but my reaction was 'okay, that's the last time I put my hand in my wallet when any of you ask!' Because, when I was still getting a monthly paycheck, all anyone had to say to me was 'good cause!' and I'd cough up a tenner.

Coughing up tenners would be such a useful skill, wouldn't it?

Back to the point, which I lost somewhere along the way: better a poobag than a poohole you can't poo out of. That's my opinion, and a wise one too, I say. But I shall look forward to your adventures in bum ballooning nonetheless.

*hugs*

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi LM,

From experience of MP's you did well to avoid speaking to the right honourable (hmmm) Morris. Remember the do I went to in Houses of PArliament back in July, the MP doing the hosting never turned up and never sent a message of apology, think he was busy in the bar....

Well good news about the hefty going missing, but bad news about you being a tight arse. I don't know I seem to opposite to you, every time they shov something up my back door it seems to go in much too easy. So if I do beat you in the reversal race (and I know seem to be 4/1 favourite) I might not be needing balloons but butt plugs. Well whatever does happen LM I'm sure you'll take it in your stride and have some giggles along the way with FC!

I like the idea of coughing up tenners Hils, and know what you mean about getting money out of people. I had so many headtilters on facebook and well wishers, and then I said my wife is running the race for life, here's the link to her page please give what you can. Tumbleweed and a few moths were seen. Then there is my youngest duaghter, she is doing a badge at Guides and had to organise fund raising as part of it. She came from guides and said here you are Dad, I raised £22 and said I wanted it to go to Macmillan. Sob, hold back tears and big hug for her.

Tight Lines

Tim xxx