sorted67's blog

• Karen's Catch-Up #15 - stem cell transplant part 2

FormerMember
    FormerMember

This is a major step forward for my brain so i'm not going to apologise for the length. Nope. I'm not...Hope it's useful for someone.

February 12th-14th

So got to stay at home from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. I now hate the thought of going to hospital and see it as a major interruption to my life - I think the fact that I’ve had just one week of being home and feeling ok since xmas eve might have…

• Karen's Catch-Up #14 - stem cell transplant part 1

FormerMember
    FormerMember

February 8th

My dongle’s not working in this room!

Wait for bloods to come back then 9.15pm start eating 12 simpsons ice poles to try and numb mouth before Melphalan. 20 minute infusion. Half dozed off after the 7th lolly for 10 minutes - wonder if I’ll pay for that lapse in concentration later…Then etoposide 8 x 3-hourly bags + ondansetron for anti-sickness. No sleep tonight then. 1st two ok then…

• Karen's Catch-Up #13 (now is NOT a good time to get superstitious!)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi guys - very long (haven’t checked it so hope it makes sense!)

January 19th

After 26 days, I was finally going home! Car was loaded before my final radiotherapy session. A ‘review’ with a doctor which lasted all of 60 seconds. “Any problems?” “No, but can you tell me if I’ll be scanned before stem cell transplant?” “No, I can’t” ”OK then. Bye”. Nurse said I might feel a bit nauseous for a couple of days and…

• weevils

FormerMember
    FormerMember

January 13th

Think I was a bit optimistic in setting my alarm for 10am…Up again at 5.30 so another 4 hours sleep. That’s not enough for me. Apparently it was enough for Margaret Thatcher which explains a lot - very tetchy…

Been here two weeks now and on my own for ten days. Pete and I have never been more than one night without seeing each other - and that only a handful of times in 20 years. Likewise…

• Karen's New Year Catch-Up #12

FormerMember
    FormerMember

New Year’s Eve - Monday 4th January

Antibiotics finished on New Year’s Eve, I was discharged and moved straight into my new home - the staff block at the hospital. Playing it by ear, but think this’ll be my new home til radio finishes on 19th. Too much hassle wondering whether we’ll get to treatment each day; can’t walk to my house from the car because of the snow; 2 hours a day travelling in normal…