Life without dad

1 minute read time.

It's been nearly 2 months since dad died. Now I can sit back and look at all that has happened. I can only describe watching someone you love with terminal cancer, die before you, as a hurricane hitting the house with everyone inside. We could see it coming but boy, it knocked us off our feet.

We clung on to each other scared, terrified, afraid at this monster that raged past us, destroying everything that was safe and secure. There were moments of calm. When we could talk even laugh and joke together, precious times. Then it would come back stronger more angry and then. BANG. Quiet. We looked around and dad was gone. It had taken him. So here we are picking up the pieces, getting on with life still stunned at what has happened.

I cried so much before dads death but hardly any after. I grieved watching my dad fading before my eyes. Having no control. I think I was afraid of dad dying. But at the end it was all I wanted. The truth was it wasn't dad. He had gone along time ago. After he died I felt relief and a release. I had said all that I wanted to say, done all that I could have done. I felt a strange peace.

I don't feel angry just really sad. The thing that gets me most is the silence. So much to talk about. Like my daughter learning to swim, starting her new year at school. That long silence stretching out forever it really unnerves me.

Is there a message here. I don't know. All I can say is. Say all you have to say. Do all you can do. Have no regrets and keep holding on.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi -- this is my first post on here, so please be gentle with me!

Selina, I was reading your post and it echos so much of how I am feeling right now.  I am really sorry about you loosing your Dad.  I lost my Mum 3 weeks ago, she had the same cancer as your Dad.  Mum had been in hospital for a couple of weeks, and they were talking about her coming home, then suddenly one morning we got the phone call, to ask us to come over, she went down hill very quickly in the space of a few hours and passed away.

I'm the opposite with the crying - before Mum passed away I cried very little, and when I did it was when I was alone, as I was trying to be strong for everyone else, plus afterall blokes don't cry do they!?

But since the funeral last week, I can't seem to stop crying. The world and most other people around me seem to be back to normality, but I am not. I'm like you, there's so many things I keep thinking that I'd pop and see Mum or ring her about - my little boy starting his new class at school and so many things. It seems worse when everyone else is at work and school, I work shifts and on my days off or before starting a night shift I would have popped to see Mum for a cuppa and a chat, and now she's not there I just feel so lost and don't know what to do with myself.

Everyone tells me that time is the greatest healer, I just hope thats the case.

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Smurf78

Firstly, I am so sorry you have lost your mum from this terrible cancer. Secondly thank you for getting in touch.

I understand completely about the fact that people around us are getting back to normal when we are in this sort of half life. Our bodies are there, but our brains are consumed in grief and thoughts of our love ones.

What I have learnt is that grief changes day by day hour by hour and we just have to ride it as best we can. Don't worry that you feel you can't stop crying. You will in time. Let it out. You will feel better for it.

Does time heal? I don't know. I think the best we can hope for is that this world we are in right now will become the norm and we can learn to live with it. Here's hoping.

Take care and hugs xx