Reflections On My Journey With Loving And Losing

• Time To Say Our Goodbye

Today I would like to share some thoughts I had back on the evening of Paul's death when I was allowed to return to the room where the nurses had washed Paul, had put a white sheet over him, had put a small bunch of flowers between his hands that were now folded over his chest and had lit a vanilla scented candle on the table beside his bed.

The room felt so peaceful.

This was the room in which, less than one hour…

• The First Months On Chemotherapy

"You see," the oncologist said calmly, "what has happened here is that your cancer has spread into the liver."

I can still remember the shocked silence in the room. Even though we had been expecting to hear this, when we actually heard it, we felt really shocked.

I don't know what Paul was thinking, but I know that I thought: Once cancer has metastasised to the liver it is really bad.

The oncologist…

• A Time Of Fear And Then Relief: Learning To Cherish Each Moment

In 2013, Paul's PSA level began to rise. He began to feel unwell too with weakness, nausea, vomiting and lack of appetite. He lost a lot of weight in a very short period of time.

In the spring of 2014, CT and bone scan revealed that the cancer had spread to bones and lymph nodes. Looking back on it now, I cannot understand why the scans were performed as late as spring of 2014; I mean, the PSA had been going up and…

• A Word On Love

Before I continue sharing Paul's and my story, I thought I would briefly comment on love and our relationship.

I suppose most people would say that their relationship was something really special; and yet, when I look at many relationships around me, I feel that Paul's and my relationship was truly something very special and different from a lot of relationships I know.

Firstly, when Paul and I met, it felt…

• When To Love Means To Let Go

This time last year, I was sitting by my husband's bedside in the hospital and I said the words that were the most beautiful and the most heart-breaking words I would ever say: It is okay if you want to let go now."

Those words were the most beautiful and loving words I could say to him. I knew how courageously he had been battling with prostate cancer for 15 years. I knew how sick he had become, particularly…