Life alone - only read this if you are feeling strong

3 minute read time.

It's 3 months since my lovely man died. Sometimes, it feels like yesterday & at other times, it feels like ages. The emotions swirl around and I switch from sadness to anger to guilt to misery. Some of the really gut-wrenching crucifying eviscerating pain has deadened but it wouldn't surprise me if it came swirling back like a whirling dervish and smacked me in the guts.

I know he is dead. I've visited his grave often enough, but still the tricksy little brain says, 'Perhaps he's gone away and he really is going to walk in the door at any moment and everything will be ok again.' No chance. Not one. Who are you kidding, brain? He is no more. Get a grip.

The reality of what that means is slowly starting to sink in. Think I've been numb for a long time. I see couples holding hands, reaching out and touching. I see men at the supermarket helping with the shopping. I see couples arm in arm. There are constant reminders of what it is to be a couple. And that has gone for me. 

I go home and the house is empty. The clock ticks very loudly in the kitchen.

'How are you coping? At least you have the dog." Excuse me? I have a list of totally inappropriate things people say. Yes, I know. They are trying. It's very difficult for them. Stand in my shoes and talk about difficult, though.

Anti-depressants? Chuck 'em away. There is only one way to deal with this. You just have to go through it, and work through it, take your time and GRIEVE. Nobody can do it for you. 

Friends? Well, I am learning. Some are great, worth treasuring. There are new friends too, who are prepared to bear witness, stand by me, listen, allow me to rabbit on about my man, cry etc. And I do realise, friends are the most important people to me. I need to look after them. I've noticed some of them are more careful with their partners, some are actually doing what they've promised themselves for a while, really Seizing the Day. So maybe that's my man's gift to them. Maybe they are learning too.

Family? Hmm. My kids are lovely, but other family members have disappointed me. 'Oh sorry we haven't been in touch for a while.' Yeah - like since the funeral. What do you imagine I've been doing? Having fun?

'You need to hold on to the good memories.' Well yes, but in order to get to those good memories I have a backlog of absolute s**t to work through. The diagnosis (just under a year ago), the never-ending treatment - chemotherapy, radiotherapy etc etc - with all its memories and last of all, the last 3 weeks in the hospice. And God help me, I wonder how it is possible to ever lose some of those memories. The misery, the pain, the helplessness etc

Now don't get me wrong, I have good moments. I joined a choir and actually found myself enjoying singing. I am planning for the long dark nights of winter, trying to put in place things to get me through all that. I have to try, to go through the motions, to pretend until one day, a very long way down the line, I may find I am actually living a life of my own and it's not too bad.

But the feeling of half of me being amputated is ever present. How can I be whole again when I have lost that part of me which is so entwined within my own being? My soul-mate, my best friend, the father of my kids, my mentor, my rock, my lover........

Ah but Life is cruel. And I STILL HATE CANCER.

Today I went to my doctor and they had no record of my appointment. No problem - they saw me, BUT the flipping NHS and all its inadequacies & incompetence drives me crazy. Particularly when I think of what my man went through. There are still a few people I would line up against a wall and shoot. (Tut - where is my compassion?)

So there we are. Bumbling along but still here. A crazy mixed-up old bat who is trying to stand up for herself and make her presence felt on this planet but finding it a bit of a challenge. 

Little Jen 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi colin, see from your updated status, that the blasted sneaky soul destoying [ i cud go on ] has attached itself yet again to your family.

i am so sorry, guess you will be able to offer lots of advice, but it really isnt fair, is it?

my mum, bless her, used to say to me " your shoulders will always be wide / strong enough to carry any problems that come to you, soon have to have doorways made wider like most of you on here!

anyway sending love and strength to you and  dil.  love kaitie xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Grieving is a terrible journey to have to undertake, but it is a road that all of us have to travel at some point.  Oh God Nin - stop spouting platitudes!

Jen it sucks.  I can't say I know what you are going through because I've never lost a partner in this way and it must be like a million different kinds of hell.  All I know is that since losing my kid brother my life has never, and will never be the same again.  It's almost six months since Gordy left us and it still hurts like hell so I expect you are spending a lot of time in absolute despair.

There is a tiny second when you wake up and everything is fine with the  world and then it whacks you in the gut like a bloody big breeze block.  It screams into your head like a boy racer screeching down the road in his souped up, decibel shattering toy.  Don't know about you but most mornings after this I cry.  My limbs feel like lead, my heart aches and my stomach feels like someone is in their operating a Kenwood mixer on full speed.  And that's as good as I'm going to feel for the day.

What I have learned over the last year is to stop thinking about 'what ifs'.  It does no good whatsoever and only makes me angry.  I am told (by those who love me and who loved Gordy) that a day will come when I don't see the nightmare images of his illness and his death but I think that day is a long way off as I know it will be for you.

All you can do is surround yourself with people who love and support you.  Forget the ones who haven't got the inner strength to be with you.  Be kind to yourself.  And never forget the love because it will always be with you.

Sending you much love and big squidgy hugs,

Nin xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Nin, what can I say?!

Sending the biggest hugs to you; they won't take away the pain, but at least you know we care about you.

Kaitie, thankyou.

Unfortunately life isn't fair and we just have to live it as best we can. When ole crabby's involved we fight like mad!

Love and hugs to all,

Colin xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks for your encouraging comments, Jackie, and good luck for getting through that anniversary milestone. (Mine is in 2 weeks - it will be the first of the 'firsts' to get through for me.)

Many thanks for the info about the bracelet, LM. I shall be saving my pennies for that one. At least the money goes to a good cause.

Big hugs to you both,

Little Jen X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Nin -

How I remember reading your story. It broke me up to hear about Gordy and what you were going through at the same time as things were going pear-shaped for my man. You wonder how you will ever come back from an experience like that.

Thank you so much for the lovely hugs. 

I can identify with much you write, but I cannot know what it must be like to lose your brother. Your description of the sheer pain and tearing apart is just how it is for me, though, but it does ease a little. The truth is I think I have been fighting and flailing around and refusing to accept the reality I know. After all, what is it I have been visiting every time I have been to the grave.  He is NOT EVER coming back. The reality of that and what it means is slowly but surely sinking in, and as it settles in my mind and I stop fighting the truth, I feel bereft and so very very lost. I love him still and always will.

But I have to keep fighting - this time to make a life for myself. I tell you, a widow like me can disappear off the face of the earth, slide out of people's awareness, drop off the list of many social invitations. You have to experience  it to believe it can happen. Becoming single in a couple world is s**t. I have been told to watch out - some women may find me a threat if they are in an insecure relationship. Excuse me - do me a favour. you cannot possibly imagine I am in the slightest bit interested in your partner. Don't insult me. I am grieving for my beautiful man who was all and everything I ever wanted in a man and nothing and nobody can ever match up to him.

I understand what you say about the 'if onlys' and 'what ifs' but must gradually in my own time work through some of those to come out the other side and let them go.

And I must also emphasise, it is not all dire. I try to keep busy, and give myself a good boot every so often, because as I said, my man wanted life so much, enjoyed it to the full and did not want to lose it. So how dare I, how absolutely dare I not try to make what I can of some sort of life.

The morphine stays in the shoe-box.

You take care of yourself, Nin. It is what Gordy would want.

Love and warrior hugs,

Little Jen X