Hospital experience

6 minute read time.
Well, thought it was time to tell you all about my continuing experiences at the hospital out of my area. Operation day came and set off to be there by 8am as requested (an hour in the car so a really early wake-up call!). Was walked down to Nuclear medicine dept with my legs shaking because I knew how painful these injections were going to be. Ended up having 8. They didn't lie, it was VERY painful! Went down for Op at 2pm and finally back up on ward by 6pm. Surgeon told me they had removed the Sentinal Node plus two more that were showing 'hotspots' from my groin. I had a back slab of plastercast on my foot to keep my ankle immobile for the skin graft to take and told on bedrest for 48 hours (oh, the indignity of the bedpan lol). Surgeon came back later and said I could go home the next day, but the nurse standing behind him was shaking her head no. When he had gone she came over and said that there seemed to be some confusion as they had me down for 48hrs bed rest and if I went home it would be less than 24!! I was happy to go but they persuaded me to stay another night so I did. On the Friday morning the surgeon came around again and said to me "why are you still here? I told you to go home 2 days ago". I said come off it, I only had the op two days ago and he admitted then that would have been too early. I told him the nurses had said no and he wanted to know who was in charge of his patients, him or the nurse? I said obviously the nurse as I was still there! I then asked him if I could go trick or treating (as it was Halloween) and he looked at me in shock. I said I thought I would continue the bandage theme and go as the Mummy lol! Luckily he laughed and told me to give it a miss this year. That afternoon the physio came and showed me how to use the crutches properly and then my friends came to get me and take me home. I realised a few days later that no one had told me how to take care of the groin wound so I rang the ward but was told that skin glue would have been used so to just keep the area clean when washing and it was ok to use Aloe Vera gel. I then returned a few days later to the Plastics Dressings clinic. The nurse was horrible, tutting when I was taking so long to get into the treatment room on my crutches. She then started to cut away the bandages and plaster but was using her scissors right over the site and it was getting painful so I had to ask her to approach from the opposite side so I assumed she hadn't actually read my notes to see where the wound was. Then to my astonishment the melanoma Nurse made an appearance! I asked her if she had got my message to ring me but she said she had but by that time I had already had my Pre-Op clinic appt so didn't think it worth while ringing me back (I had left the message over a week before my appt). She looked at the site and was pleased with the graft and said to come back in a week but she wouldn't be there then and not sure if her colleague would be either (so consistant with her behaviour towards me all the way through!). Well, when we went to make the appt my friend asked if the follow-up with the Consultant could be made at my local hospital as he has clinics there you would have thought we had asked for the Earth. The receptionist got all irate and said it would have to be "sent upstairs" as if this was a big deal. My friend quietly informed her she didn't care where it had to be sent as long as we could get an appt convenient for US for a change! I had to go back for a further dressing this week and both my daughters came with us. My eldest insisted on coming in with me because she wanted to take a photo on her phone so she could show her sister what I had done. I had the same nurse as before and she muttered "I don't know why you people want to keep memento's of this sort of stuff" as my daughter took it. She then dressed it again but with a dressing that was a bit smaller than it should have been because she didn't have any of the right size. Then she went off to write the letter for my further dressings. When she came back she said "here you are, take that to your Practice Nurse". I explained that I would not be able to get to my GP as it was too far to go on crutches and I couldn't drive for 6 weeks. She didn't believe me when I said there was no one available to take me then said "oh well, YOU will have to arrange a District Nurse". She then checked my donor site, left off the dressing and squirted some E45 cream on and said to me "you can do this, go on then do it". It was said as if she expected me to refuse! My daughter was fuming when we came out from there and when she told my friend how the nurse had been towards me she said she was glad that my daughter had also been a witness to the way I was being treated by staff at this hospital as she was beginning to think that maybe she was imaginning it lol. The girls took my letter to my GP's on Thursday and I phoned the District Nurse who arranged to come and see me Friday. When she arrived I had to show her that the dressing was wet and I had fluid seeping out from it. She asked for the dressings pack from the hopsital and was not happy when I said I wasn't given one. She did the best she could with what she had on her but when I told her what had gone on at the dressing clinic she made a note of it because she said the nurse should have given me a proper discharge letter with instructions and packs for what was needed and I SHOULDN'T have been the one to organise ,it should have been that nurse. She came back later with a treatment plan and other info and said that she had phoned the clinic at the hospital but this nurse had refused to speak to her so the District Nurse made a complaint to that nurse's manager about how badly she had managed my discharge! Let's hope I don't have to go back there again in a hurry lol. So, here I am with an oozing skin graft sore groin and trying to get about with my crutches but at least I can now put my foot down to the floor! Oh, and in the post today I have had a letter from Housing Benefit to say that they are stopping my benefit as I no longer have a dependant living with me and I have an interest in the marital home in Essex. Not sure how I'm supposed to pay my rent now as that interest is in bricks and mortar and my estranged husband still living there and refusing to sell. AND a letter from Council Tax Dept and Court Summons for non-payment of Council tax demand for 4th Dec. Take care pheonix xxx
Anonymous
  • Hi Phoenix,

Some good nurses and some downright nasty nurses by the sound of it! You do wonder sometimes at the nasty offhand manner of some medics. I mean, I know we can all have an 'off' day but they should still be professional about the way they treat others. I had similar problems with the 'wrong' dressings. I picked up a dressing pack from the hospital pharmacy as prescribed by a CONSULTANT (who obviously didn't know her bandages from her elbow) but only discovered they were the wrong type when I got home. It was the usual 'everything happens on a Friday syndrome' and I only discovered the mistake after the hospital pharmacy had closed for the weekend. I ended up going and buying some from my local chemist.

As regards your financial problems - can your McMillan nurse point you in the right direction? You certainly don't need all this hassle on top of everything else.

All the best,

KateG

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you all for taking the time to read my lengthy missive and for your support. Situation as it stands now:

Contacted local CAB but all the lady said was that was the rules for benefit, no offer of a home visit to tell me what to do next or point me in the direction of who I need to talk to!

MacMillan Benefit advisor who was acting on my behalf also saying the same thing, suggested the house be put up for sale which will 'buy' me 26 weeks of more HB to allow a sale to go through. Unfortunatley this is not going to happen.

Have emailed my local MP and written to my local Councillor, I mean how can someone be left in this situation without any safety net or back-up, regardless whether they have Cancer or not!

Rang the Council's Homelesness Dept and explained my situation.  Said I could just pay next month's rent (due 11th) but that would put me well into my overdraft and January there will be NO money to pay it. She is sending someone out to visit me but also sent me paperwork to fill in to go on Housing List (what chance have I got to get something from them when so many families are waiting?).

So, all support seems to be taken away and I am wondering if this means the Universe is telling me to 'detach' from material things, trust that all will be well and prepare for yet another major change about to happen in my life??? One thing I have never been able to say about my life is that it is boring lol!

Take care one and all

pheonix  xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's just not fair for him to be sitting there with no worries all warm and cosy in your house.  Was the house bought in joint names, as "Tenants in Common in Equal Shares" or just in his sole name?  Did you contribute financially to the bills?  Is he aware of your plight - this is not the time to feel sorry for him being lonely or whatever - YOU need looking after.  This is NOT Fate telling you to let go, this is a flipping unfair extra burden for you to have to struggle with whilst dealing with your cancer.   This is appalling and I really feel for you caught in this horrible situation.  I think you need a solicitor.  Get a friend to have a look and see which firm is offering free initial consultations.

Sending (and feeling this is inadequate) hugs xxxxxx Penny

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hey pheonix

when i was in hospital getting my surgery,The night shift nurses were sooo noisey!it didnt help that their work station was right beside my room,anyway on the first night when i was in bed i over heard them calling another patient a "weirdo" i could not believe my ears!i mean how unprofessional??Looking back i really should have complained but was anxious about the surgery the next day and feeling a bit vulnerable about even being in hospital!As i actually work in the same hospital i might very well still put in a complaint!