2 Years Later……

1 minute read time.
2 Years Later……

Exactly 2 years ago today I noticed a lump and since then life hasn't ever been quite the same.  Yes, I am through the regime of successful treatment and now just on regular preventative meds, but it's definitely not the same as it was before.

On the plus side, I have noticed I am a lot more relaxed at work. I don't get stressed or worried about important meetings or deadlines and I’m really rather chilled out when things go wrong, which they inevitably do from time to time. I no longer get frustrated at others if they make a mistake and I know that all of this is a consequence of my cancer diagnosis and treatment. Basically we all have bigger things to worry about than work!

I try to exercise regularly, keep an eye on my weight (not so successfully), watch my alcohol intake (also not so successfully) and try to mostly eat 5 fruit and veg a day. I'm still averaging 10,000 steps a day and quite fixated by closing the green and pink rings on my Apple Watch. I hope all this helps, otherwise I could easily slob around all weekend eating chips and drinking copious amounts of wine!

Do I worry? Hell yes, of course I do, I notice every little twinge in my boob, every pain, every time something feels different and I wonder…..is it back, is it spreading? From talking to others this is absolutely normal, but do I let it get in the way of life? Hell no, I do not.  I'm back working full time in a hectic global job, enjoying weekends with friends and family, travelling as much as I can and ticking stuff off the bucket list.

Cancer has changed the way I think and act in some ways, and whilst I talk a lot about my diagnosis, I hope I am not letting it define me. I've always been a glass half full kind of person and that's not changed, but I am even more conscious now of living each day to the max. So, that's another year gone, here's to year 3! 

Anonymous