scattering ashes

4 minute read time.

It's been ten months, nearer eleven, since my father died and all this time his ashes have been sitting on a shelf in the undertaker's cupboard while my mother decided what she wanted to do with them.
My mother and I do not have an easy relationship: we don't 'do' feelings, for example, never have. This week, sherang up and announced that she and her large and weirdly-behaved dog were coming to see us. Oh the deep joy that filled our hearts.

After I had invited her to stay in our house (she suggested a hotel...) and the kids frantically tried to think of escape plans, she rang again and said she was going to collect the ashes and scatter them herself at a place in the Scottish Borders where she and my father had spent time together in their youth. She wondered if I would mind...

I think she should do whatever she wants with them and told her so. I wonder if I should have asked to be there too, but that seems intrusive. They were an intensely private couple (not a happy pair) so it makes sense for her to do it alone. I can't decide if I'm being tremendously altruistic or just copping out of an uncomfortable experience. If I were in charge of the ashes (as in, if she were no longer alive) I would organise some kind of little ceremony with readings and things that my father would have liked.

He was a very bookish man, and latterly became a rampant atheist, which fitted in nicely with all his other assorted bigotry and prejudices. His funeral was organised by my mother, as quickly as possible, and with a 'random' minister of the Church of Scotland (upon which father had decidedly turned his back years ago) and what was worse, a minister from EDINBURGH, father's most hated city. (God knows why. He hated innumerable towns, people, foods, countries, races, religions, authors -- mostly the female ones --, politicians, music, feminists. It was hard to keep up with all the 'forbidden' topics of conversation. Most of all, he detested my mother's parents (long since deceased) because they had failed to show him due reverence and hospitality in 1956. Or 1957, I can't remember as I wasn't yet born. But It Really Mattered.

He treated my mother like a punching bag: though not a hand was raised to her. Ems has written on here at length about domestic violence: that was my experience of life with my parents from early childhood until he was so doped up on morphine in the hospice that he could no longer speak. He was a cleverand highly-educated man, but with a very cruel side, and a vicious tongue. My mother put up with him, colluded with him, allowed him to treat her appallingly, and at various times defended him to me if I attempted to criticise or side with her against him. They seemed to feed off each other: miserable together, never apart.

She is bereft without him. I think she feels her life is over. I had wondered if perhaps she would discover a new lease of life, but that hasn't happened. Not yet, anyway.

I should add that his verbal and emotional abuse towards her seemed to escalate after he took early retirement: his 'power' and authority in his workplace was gone and he didn't have a captive audience for his 'wisdom' and opinions.

Intellectually, I want to feel sorry for my mother, and have frequent contact with her by phone, but on an emotional level, I don't like her as a person. She wasn't warm and loving towards me as a child, or as a young adult when I lived at home. I think, with the nenefit of my magnificent powers of 20-20 hindsight, that she resented me and was jealous of me because I deflected her husband's attention from her. She was very free with her hands and feet: lots of hitting, nipping, the occasional kicking... a lovely lady. Father once knocked me down so my head was cut open: she took me to the doctor and said I had fallen. I was about six or seven, and can remember being indignant that she was lying. There were bloodstains inside the red, tartan hood of my school coat. That was useful as another girl had the same coat and we could tell them apart!!!!!

Rambling on a bit now. Father's ashes? Weird sense of loyalty to his memory? What's that about? Ghastly people but blood relatives. As an only child with no other blood relatives I feel a sense of resposibility and duty towards my parents, but more than that? I don't think there's much else there. My children have some good memories of their grandparents. I think they made better grandparents than parents.

They belong in another world from mine and I would prefer if they stayed there.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Odin, you are just the sort of man I wish I'd had as a dad! I was born in 1961 so you're way to young for what you propose!!! But you can be my surrogate dad if you like...

I admired my father's intellect and his love of language and books and poetry and history, but he was more of a teacher, all my life, than a parent. And everything he did for me had a cost, financial or emotional. A very muddled relationship, but I did draw something from it that was good and have passed on his love of reading to my children. In fact, the best of my father was seen when my children and I would escape from their Alky dad with me and spend the summer with my parents. Then, he was kind and cheerful at least some of the time, and established a ritual of reading them a bedtime story. First with one child, then eventually all three. Rider Haggard and Sherlock Holmes and John Buchan and Tolkien...as he did when I was little. 'That' father I do miss. But the man in the hospice was a stranger, and I am still processing my feelings from his death, as they were muddled up with the illness and death of my father-in-law.

As for accompanying my mother with the ashes, she wouldn't like what I would do if it were up to me, so I'll let her have her privacy. She is an extremely private person, the opposite of heart-on-my-sleeve me.

Thank you for your lovely comments. Being on this site has been an enormous help to me: it's like discovering a family I never knew I had.

Lots & lots of love to you (and to you son and DIL too. I keep you all in my thoughts and hope for better news from you soon).

x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Minima,

Not been on Mac in a little while but saw this and thought I’d write, not sure if I will be very helpful…

I for one don’t think that you are copping out, if your mother is a very private person then its probably for the best that she does something by herself, but if you would have liked to do a ceremony with readings etc is there any reason why you can’t do that too?

As you know I can relate to the domestic violence side of your story, my father was very cruel as well, he was a bully, particularly to me and my sister, sometimes to my mum as well, but she always put up with him and just carried on with the way things were despite us trying to persuade her that it wasn’t normal for a father/husband to behave that way.  I'm so sorry that you went through a similar thing! My father  was always a very angry man, but alcohol fuelled it and made it worse. He eventually died in an accident whilst drunk abroad. My sister and I didn’t quite believe it. His mother (my grandmother) decided to take charge of the funeral arrangements the way she wanted, and miles away from where we live (and where he had spent the majority of his adult life) and when I discovered that they expected my mum to foot the bill, I waded in and put a stop to it.  She was his husband and after everything she had put up with, I think she needed the closure of arranging the funeral and attending it with her friends to support her. In the end I think it helped me to get some sort of closure too. I think my point with all of this is that you should do whatever YOU feel is best and that if that is your mum going to the Scottish Borders on her own then that’s what should happen. But don’t forget about your need for closure too if you want it.

Sending you lots and lots of love and hugs

xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you, Clairlybel. I'm in a bit of a strange state of mind with all these ideas and memories swirling around in my head. I'm thinking that after she has done the deed, at some future point I may go to the place myself, either with my family (ie husband and kids) or on my own. But it's a place that's special to them, not me, so I don't really know why I would...
    As far as I'm concerned, he's not there to say goodbye to and my closure will have to come from somewhere else and at some later time.
    Thank you for replying, too. I know you have certain pressing concerns of your own and hope life is a bit better for you.
    lots of love and a big hug
    x x x

• Hi Minima there isn't much I can add.I guess your mum deciding to finally scatter your dads ashes brings lots of memories to the fore.Ive said before that my dad wasn't a very nice person and that's being generous.If your mum wants to scatter his ashes alone and in a way that was relevant to them then I guess she will.Perhaps as has been suggested you find a way for you and your children to do something in his memory that is relevant to you and them.I did post on warped what I did with my dads ashes but wouldn't advocate anyone else doing that.Im sure you will find your own way perhaps ask your children if they need to also have closure and if so how would they like to do it.Maybe it could be in the form of something cheerful sorry if that sounds insensitive rather than maudlin like a family meal sharing stories/memories and maybe reading out favourite passages from books he used to read to them.Whatever you decide I am sure it will be right for you love and hugs Cruton xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lovely,

Sorry, I am tired. I can't actually focus and I couldn't qork out what you wanted help with, but reading the replies, I'm with Cruton... do something nice with your kids. Leave your mum to do her thing, if you go along, it will only upset you as she'll do something to annoy or upset you and probably vice versa. Mothers and daughters seem to do that.

Sorry, I can't be more use tonight but you've got lots of good advice already so probaly wouldn't add anything useful anyway.

The more i read of you lot and your families, the more it makes me glad mine are not here.

Big hug

Little My x