Getting Used to Dying

4 minute read time.

I don't know if anyone will even read this but I think it helps to spell it out. I have just spent 7 months on huge doses of steroids and a gazillion other drugs to counter the side effects after I was diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome in May 2022. Essentially my immune system got confused and attacked and almost destroyed both of my kidneys in a matter of weeks. At times the pain in my kidneys and ribs was horrendous. My nephrologist kept telling me I was 'atypical', that I shouldn't be in that amount of pain. He told me to go any buy Voltoral gel in the chemist! I was self medicating with paracetamol which didn't even scratch the surface. I tried everything from reflexology, a chiropractor, sports massage. Some days the pain was so bad I couldn't raise my arm, couldn't drive or even get into a car for weeks, I couldn't lie flat so I slept upright on the sofa for a few hours every night, my husband had to wash my hair, And nobody seemed to believe me. I saw my Nephrologist weekly during that whole time and his response was always 'yes, but you have no protein in your kidneys'. I couldn't have cared less about protein in my kidneys! So eventually in November, while he was on holidays, a junior, trainee consultant did a full examination and recommended a scan. I got it days later. 

On the 7th of November, my Nephrologist told me I had a 9cm mass on my kidney and the cancer had spread to my lung and 2 ribs. My first response through tears was 'I feel vindicated'. He finally believed I was in pain and immediately ordered the short and long tec morphine. But worse was to be revealed. When he saw the size of the tumour, he requested copies of any scans and results I may have had in the past. I had one in 2016 when I was admitted to hospital diagnosed with unexplained anaemia and in 2018 when I was getting my gall bladder out. He explained that he was not trained to read scans for cancer but immediately picked up on the small mass on my kidney on both earlier scans. He was horrified to read that both had been reported as 'unremarkable'. The 2016 scan showed a 3cm mass which could have been treated and I wouldn't be in the horror I am today. My Nephrologist told me I was 'facing a massive fight and that the days ahead would be extremely difficult'.

So he red-flagged me to a Consultant Urologist who I met on the 14th of December. Mr X was the coldest, unempathetic man I have ever met. I sat down with my husband, a nurse sat at the far end of the notes taking notes or something. He asked me did I know why I was here, I said 'My Nephrologist made the appoint after a scan showed I had a tumour on my kidney which ad metastasised (had to look that word up and when I did, I knew it was bad) into my lung and two ribs'. He said 'Ahh yes, did he also tell you it was incurable, terminal?'. At that minute my world fell apart, I couldn't speak, my husband and I were both in tears. He said there would be a team meeting on the 22nd of December to discuss a way forward and that I need a chest biopsy to determine what, if any suitable chemo was available. I asked him how long I had and he replied 'between a few months and two years'. I don't remember anything else about the meeting. My husband asked him who did this to me and he raised his hands, said it was nothing to do with him and that we'd have to take it up with the hospital's radiography department. I simply couldn't think or article any questions so the whole thing was over in less than 5 minutes. 

The nurse handed us a pack with a pile of leaflets and said she would be my key worker and away we went, both of us in shock and tears. Halfway up the corridor, I turned to my husband and asked him when do we come back, he whispered 'I don't know'. Same response when I asked him when I get a biopsy. We drove and cried for the next 7 hours. 

Next day I had to tell my family, all I can say about that is that it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. We are all still raw from my Dad's death at 62 after an 8 year battle with non-hodkins lymphoma. 

I'll tell you the next part of my saga later, this has totally exhausted me. If anyone reads this, thank you xxx

Anonymous
  • So sorry to read your story Crafty Caroline. Can I say you have given me strength today? I had a 'go straight to terminal. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200' experience this time last year. I had found a massive lump which has been hiding in my ample and normally lumpy right boob for long enough to make a whole army of friends who were having a great big party in my liver and frankly trashing the place. I nearly died So your title resonated with me. I turned to your post also because today after 6 months' stable cancer I have learned my liver function has been going off and I'm looking once again over the precipice. You have made me feel less alone. Thanks for being a friend from the Dark Side. X

• Sarah, I just want to hold you and we could cry and shout and scream and call our cancer the worst names we could think of. I'm so sorry, just sad that this is happening to other people and can't be stopped. You really aren't alone in this dark space. I'm rooting for you with everything I have and right now I'm hugging you and we're wiping away tears and calling it funny and rude names and we're laughing for a while. Don't give up or give in yet, you never know what's round the corner. Keep in touch xxxx

• So nothing really happened after this for ages. 22nd of December came and went and I never heard from the urologist or my 'keyworker' Only for Macmillan, I would still be on the floor. on the evening of the 14th of December, I got a call from a Macmillan nurse - my referral had landed on her desk at 5.45pm, she browsed through it as she didn't finish until 6 and they were on strike the next day. When she read the background she was horrified and immediately rang me. She talked to me for 2 hours and it became the most reassuring voice I have ever heard (and remains that way). She arrived out on the Friday afternoon and spent 3 hours talking me through how to manage my pain effectively, spoke to my GP, ordered morphine, listened to me, let me cry, put her arms around me, gave us loads of information and suddenly I didn't feel as alone in this. She came to see me on Christmas week too, talked me through pain management techniques over and over as she was going off for Christmas and wouldn't be back until early Jan. The came the severest heartburn and stomach acid I ever experienced - didn't eat for 10 days, had a miserable Christmas, couldn't take anything only milk for days. Doctor did blood tests on 27th of December and sent me to hospital where I was diagnosed with hyponatremia. I spent the next 13 days in hospital - neither the keyworker not the urologist bothered to take the lift up one floor to see if I was ok or living. During this time I was sent to the same radiology department that missed my cancer twice for a CT biopsy on my lungs. I had some kind of panic attack as soon as I was wheeled into the radiography room. I couldn't breathe and was crying as sound as I saw the sign. A really lovely radiologist told me he knew who I was, that he and his colleagues had been interviewed about my scans and that a Serious Adverse Incident Inquiry had been established about me. It was the first I had heard about it and left me more upset. Had the biopsy and he promised he would do everything he could to get enough tissue samples to that I wouldn't have to come back. He also told me he was at the 22nd of December meeting and I wasn't mentioned except to say that there was an Inquiry team established! We mulled over this information and in the New Year, after I got out of hospital, through Macmillan, we requested to be referred to the Regional Cancer Centre in Belfast. I just knew I couldn't bear to have any of them touch me. They hadn't even the common courtesy to inform me that and inquiry had been established into my case. 

• I never heard from my key worker again, even when I had been hospitalised for almost two weeks. I did phone her several times but she never returned any of my calls. But I am really glad they are good support for you xxx

• Thank you so much, I am a bit more settled now and things have moved on, so I will update if anyone is interested. Thank you so much for replying, I really did feel alone in all this x