Macmillan's Cancer Information Blog

• International Literacy Day

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today is International Literacy Day! In this blog, our intern Zahrah explains more about the day and what it stands for. She also talks about what we do to make our cancer information clear and easy for people to understand.

50 years ago, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) officially announced 8th September as International Literacy Day. The aim is to raise international awareness…

• Your stories - Jena

FormerMember
    FormerMember

September is thyroid cancer awareness month, and today we have a guest blog from one of our cancer information reviewers. She shares her experience of thyroid cancer, including her diagnosis, treatment and support.

Hey everyone – I’m Jena and I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer in June 2014. I am going to talk to you about my journey over the last two years.

My initial diagnosis
    In May 2014 I had…

• Life after cancer treatment

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Having a family member who has survived cancer, I understand that sometimes coming out the other side doesn’t always mean getting your old life back straight away. It can be a lot more challenging than that. You will most likely feel relieved when your treatment is over. You’ll probably be keen to get back to everyday life. But you may still have treatment side effects and be coping with mixed feelings. It’s often a time…

• Thinking about young carers on International Youth Day

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The UN’s International Youth Day takes place annually on 12th August, highlighting important issues affecting young people across the world. In this blog, our editor Matt talks about the effect of cancer on young people. 

Young people are affected by cancer in countless ways every day. Although cancer is sometimes seen as a disease that mainly affects older people, many young people are diagnosed and live with ca…

• Your stories - Diane

FormerMember
    FormerMember

This week we have a guest post from Diane, whose story is included in our ovarian cancer booklet. She shares thoughts about her diagnosis and the support she received, as well as what she’s up to now to raise awareness of ovarian cancer.

Being diagnosed
    I went to hospital in April 2010. The symptoms I had were: the whole of my right leg was swollen to about three times its normal size, I was losing weight, had lost…