Macmillan's Cancer Information Blog

• Get involved in an exciting online pilot by Macmillan

FormerMember
    FormerMember

An image of an audio track on the website
    Have you got some spare time to help us with a new pilot?

Here in Cancer Information Development, we’ve teamed up with the Digital Media whizz-kids to put selected audio information on the cancer information section of the website.

As you may already know, we produce audiobooks for people who have difficulty reading our written resources. These are all available to order as CDs for free on be.Macmillan

We understand…

• Breast cancer – How Macmillan can help

FormerMember
    FormerMember

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and with breast cancer already high in the public consciousness following Angelina Jolie’s surgery back in May, we are expecting high demand on our information and support services this month. We’ll be talking to people worried about symptoms they have, their family’s history of cancer, or their treatment and daily life if they’ve been diagnosed with cancer.…

• Make-up and beauty advice during cancer treatment

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Twelve days after my first chemotherapy session, I noticed that my lovely long blonde hair was starting to fall out. At 14 days, it was coming out in handfuls and I was completely distraught. This was one of the most traumatic times of my life.

One of cancer’s cruellest blows for many people is the impact that treatment can have on looks. At a time when you’re already feeling really low, changes to your appearance can seem like the last straw. Hair loss, brittle nails and dry skin are just some of the unpleasant side effects people may experience during chemotherapy. Hormonal therapy and targeted therapy can also result in changes to skin and hair.…

• Let’s get talking

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Not everybody knows what to say when it comes to cancer, and sometimes they choose to say nothing rather than risk saying the wrong thing. But that silence can be frightening and isolating.

These words are from a recent interview with Katherine Jenkins, in which the world-famous classical singer talked about her experience of supporting her best friend through her cancer journey. I think her statement echoes the thoughts of many who have been affected by cancer and struggled to find their voice.

My name is Elissia, and I am currently volunteering in the Cancer Information Development team at Macmillan…

• Getting active

FormerMember
    FormerMember

As we once again wave goodbye to the world’s best athletes following the Anniversary Games this July, it seems this year is becoming another one to remember for UK sport. Murray finally triumphed at Wimbledon, the Lions smashed their way to victory in Australia, cyclist Chris Froome followed Wiggins’s footprints (or tracks) into Tour de France history, and England’s cricket team retained the Ashes.