Macmillan's Cancer Information Blog

• World Mental Health Day – 10th October

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today is World Mental Health Day, and we are taking the opportunity to share some tips on dealing with difficult emotions. In this blog, written by editor Elissia, we explain some positive steps you could take to help you cope with the emotions cancer can bring.

This image shows four quotes from people affected by cancer. They read: 'You can experience just about every emotion a human being can feel.' Iain. 'I often just want to hide under the duvet.' Alwyn. ‘People kept telling me how strong I was, probably because of my positive attitude and me putting on a “brave face”. But there were times when I felt anything but strong.’ Catherine. And ‘When something is outside your grasp and you so desperately want to control it, it’s really difficult. It’s frightening. It’s scary.’ Jayne, who cared for her husband Paul.

Cancer can bring with it many different emotions. This is true whether you have cancer yourself, look after someone with cancer or if someone close to you has…

• Breast Cancer Awareness Month – Breast cancer in men

FormerMember
    FormerMember

As part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month this October, we are taking the chance to raise awareness of breast cancer in men. In this blog, written by editor Elissia, we explain more about how breast cancer can affect men.

Breast cancer in men
    Many people don’t know that men can get breast cancer. They probably don’t think that men actually have breast tissue.

But men do have a small amount of breast tissue behind…

• World Teachers’ Day

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today is World Teachers’ Day! With the new school year fully in swing, our Editor Lauren highlights the invaluable information and support we provide to teachers and schools to support young people affected by cancer.

We understand that cancer is a big subject and can be difficult to talk about, especially with children. But we want to make sure cancer isn’t the elephant in the (class)room. We have information,…

• Celebrating older people in 2017

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yesterday was the United Nations International Day of Older Persons. This year’s theme was the talents, contributions and participation of older people in society. In this blog, written by editor Maya, we celebrate the role of older people in society. We also highlight the problems that may affect people as they age, including older people living with cancer.

Older people in the UK
    Is age just a number? For many…

• The cancer information team celebrate World’s Biggest Coffee Morning!

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today is a big date in the Macmillan calendar. It’s our annual flagship fundraiser: World’s Biggest Coffee Morning! Our incredible supporters have been holding Coffee Mornings all over the country today, and we’ve been out and about lending a hand and saying thank you to the generous hosts. In this blog, senior editor Tess gives a round-up of what we’ve been up to for World’s Biggest Coffee Morning 2017.…