Macmillan's Cancer Information Blog

• Cancer Prevention Month - What you can do

FormerMember
    FormerMember

February is National Cancer Prevention Month. In this blog, written by editor Liza, we take a look at seven top things you can do to potentially reduce your risk of developing cancer.

Many people think that getting cancer is genetic, or that it is due to ‘bad luck’. While some cancers can be linked to genetics, we don’t know exactly what causes  many others. However, we are able to identify some potential…

• Cancer treatment and your heart

FormerMember
    FormerMember

If you are having cancer treatment (or had treatment in the past), it’s important to understand the possible impact on your heart. Here are some of the questions you might have, with answers from cancer information development nurse, Hilary.

I’m having cancer treatment. Should I be worried about my heart?
    Cancer treatment doesn’t always affect heart health. But for some people it can cause:

• temporary…
  • Young Carers Awareness Day

FormerMember
    FormerMember

A young carer is someone under the age of 18 who helps look after a family member or a friend who is ill, disabled or misuses drugs or alcohol. There are about 700,000 young carers in the UK, so there are likely to be young carers in every school and college. In this blog, written by information development nurse Teri, we explain what can help young carers and how they can feel more supported.

Being diagnosed with cancer…

• Cervical Cancer Prevention Week 2018

FormerMember
    FormerMember

This week is Cervical Cancer Prevention Week. In this blog, written by editorial assistant Amy-Louise, we explain what cervical screening is and why it’s important. 

In 2017, a few days before my 25th birthday, I went for my first cervical screening test. Once I’d received my letter with my invitation to attend screening, I put it to the back of my mind for a few months before I made an appointment. However, I’m…

• Can cannabis oil help with cancer?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Can cannabis oil help with cancer?

Cannabis oil is a hot topic at the moment. In this blog, written by our senior information development nurse, we explain more about cannabis oil and cancer and try to answer some questions you might have.

What is cannabis?

Cannabis has many names (marijuana, hemp, pot, grass and hash) and has been used medicinally and recreationally for hundreds of years.

The cannabis plant produces substances called cannabinoids. Some…