Macmillan's Cancer Information Blog

• National Read a Book Day - Reading and reviewing books about cancer

Today is National Read a Book Day! In this blog, our Information Materials Researcher, Sue Hawkins, explains why and how we review books about cancer, what books have been reviewed recently, where to read the reviews, and how to get involved.

Why do we review books about cancer?
    Reading a good book can help people understand and manage their health and well-being. But you don't have to take our word for it. Here's what…

• Blood Cancer Awareness - Understanding the blood better

September is Blood Cancer Awareness month. We asked information development nurse Hilary to explain more about the red stuff flowing through our veins. After a few wise cracks about pinot noir she gave us her top facts about blood... and a great crossword puzzle word.

There’s much more in your blood than meets the eye
    In the 5 (ish) litres of blood pumping around the body, there are 3 main types of cell. Take a peek…

• Maintaining a healthy weight - Helpful tips

Maintaining a healthy weight after or during treatment for cancer can be tough, whether that’s keeping it off, or putting it back on. In this blog, editor Helena talks about ways to keep yourself at a healthy weight. It also includes some tips if you are trying to gain or lose weight.

Maintaining a healthy weight can be difficult at the best of times. But it can prove a real challenge when you already have a lot…

• Volunteering at a cancer charity in India - Staff stories

In this special guest blog, Macmillan Quality and Evaluation Officer Abi tells us about her sabbatical in India, where she volunteered with a cancer support charity. 

I look back on last year as one of the most special times of my life. After 7 years of working at Macmillan in the Cancer Information Development team, I was given the opportunity to take five months’ unpaid leave to fulfil a personal ambition of mine – to…

• Travel and cancer - What to know before you go

It's summer, and everyone loves going on holiday. A holiday can improve your mood, make you feel relaxed and allow you to spend quality time with your family and friends. This can be especially important if you have cancer. 

There’s a lot for anyone to think about and plan before a holiday. There can often be more if you have cancer. In this blog, information development nurse Richard runs through a few last-minute…