Wednesday September 15th(Part 2) Another fall not avoided!

2 minute read time.

Well I got up when mum shouted on me at around 6.30am.  When I got into her room her back was on the bed but her bottom and legs were hanging out the side.  She just couldn't get up.  Each time I sat her up she just fell back again.  After a bit I managed to get her up and get her washed and dressed.  I got her safely into her chair and told her not to get out of it until I came back home.  I went off to work but arranged that I would leave just before lunch.  I phoned mum to tell her I was on my way home and there was no answer.  I put my foot down in a panice but a couple of minutes later she rung to say she had been in the kitchen.  So much for not getting out of the chair but at least she'd managed to go to the kitchen and make herself a sandwich and a cuppa.  When I got in I went to make a cuppa and found that the kitchen top where the kettle is was swimming with water.  She had struggled to lift the kettle and had spilt the boiling water all over the place.  I made up my mind then that I would stay at home for the rest of the day.

Next I went up to the loo and when I came down mum was at the kitchen sink washing her plate and tea cup so I left her to it just keeping an eye on her.  She came back into the lounge using her walking stick and all seemed well until she got to her chair.  She put her walking stick down, over balance and the next thing I knew she was on the floor on her knees.  It was a nightmare trying to lift her but I managed to lift her into her chair.  I promptly burst into floods of tears!

I had spoken to Christine this morning and she said something that might help would be for mum to go into the hospice for a few days to try and get things sorted with the low sodium and the weaning off the steroids.  However she said she knew from speaking to mum yesterday that there was no way she would entertain it.  She wouldn't even consider going to their day care centre.  Anyway through my tears I explained this to mum.  It was heartbreaking and I won't go into details as I have just stopped sobbing but the upshot is if Christine can arrange it mum will go in for a few days with a view to getting things stabilised so that she can come home and be safe.  I've left a message for Christine and I am praying that she goes back to the office today and pick up her messages.  If not I'll sleep in mums room tonight and, hopefully, speak to Christine this morning.  I am devastated.  I feel as if mum thinks I don't want her at home and she keeps apologising to me.  I don't want that I just want her to be better.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Caroline, I can see the terrible stress you are under. A few days respite would do you the world of good also. I so hope your mum gets stabilised soon.

It's a pity she won't consider the day hospice. I attended one after I finished my treatment and it was fantastic. I drove myself there, but all the other ladies got picked up by volunteer drivers. We had tea and toast when we arrived, then around 11am had a drink, soft or alcoholic, then had a lovely lunch followed by tea and cakes in the afternoon before going home.

We also had entertainment, we played bingo or had a sing song or painted and we could have massages, aromatherapy, reiki etc as well as having to access to a doctor who came in every day.

I hope you can persuade your mum to reconsider, as I'm sure she will love it. I guess the word hospice strikes fear into her as it does a lot of people.

Wishing you well, Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Read Christine's post to your Mum - I'm sure it will help. Hospices are not just a place to go to die and spending a few days there could make all the difference to both of you. We have a nursing home and work closely with the local hospice - good as our GPs are, they have a very limited understanding when it comes to treatment and pain control for people with cancer. They are only too happy to be guided by the experts there and once she has been seen you will have contacts in case there are more issues later.

I am absolutely sure your mum doesn't think you don't want her at home. She is probably terrified of the idea of a hospice - who wouldn't be! It is the implication rather than the reality. Once she has visited she will probably feel quite differently.

I don't suppoose the slight confusion combined with the falls is making her particularly sensible in the way she would be if she were feeling more herself.

I am so glad for both of you that she has agreed. DON'T feel bad about it - it is absolutely the best thing for your Mum and the fact that it will be good for you as well is a bonus!

A good cry will do you good and then you can start to look forward to having her properly diagnosed and sorted out.

Don't forget to investigate all the facilities on offer - maybe they have a web site - and make suree your Mum is booked in for manicures, aromatherapy etc. if possible. :) More like a luxury spa weekend away..........

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Caroline, you poor love, I'm thinking of you. Val XX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Christine phoned tonight to say that she'd been in touch with the hospice and it is being refurbished.  They only have four beds at the moment for around 350,000 people in the area.  She will make a referral but doesn't hold out much hope.  She suggested that maybe mum should be admitted to the hospital but I don't have much faith in the hospital when it comes to patient care and think mum would be safer at home with me.  She is going to arrange for a CT scan just to be safe, incase we're missing something.  She has also sorted out a prescription to deal with the low sodium.  I picked it up tonight and couldn't find a chemist who had it.  Boots are getting it in for tomorrow.  I won't be going to work tomorrow mum is not safe on her own so until we sort this out I will remain with her 24/7.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I hope you get this sorted soon Caroline, for you and mum.  Its a shame about the hospice, that would have been ideal, especially as your mum had agreed.  Its good that you are able to be at home with your mum; I bet you will find work so supportive; it is good to have understanding employers.  Your mum's safety comes first doesn't it and you would be no good going to work and worrying yourself sick.  

I hope a solution is soon found and your mum regains her strength.

Take care

Nic x