Thursday October 7th - Can I cope?

4 minute read time.

I really thought things would be that much better when mum came home but, sadly, I was wrong.  I thought I was strong and that I would cope much better with her here but now I'm asking 'Can I cope?'  I suppose part of the problem is that at the moment there is no care package in place and although I'm doing my best, lack of sleep and a well of emotions are rendering me useless in this crisis.  At 1am this morning I was crying my eyes out as I made my mum a cuppa in the kitchen whilst she watched CSI Miami!  Fortunately she didn't see me.

It was 2am before she finally got into bed and stayed there.  Most of the day she went from her chair to her wheelchair to her bed to her commode and so on.  She didn't really settle for more than 15 minutes.  She is extremely shaky and Nicola and Tony both felt she was agitated.  I expressed concern at my mum being taken off of peroxetine in the hospital and asked should these not have been gradually reduced.  These are an anti-depressent that were given to mum some years ago for anxiety and which she has continued to take 1 a day from then.  For them suddenly to be stopped by the hospital, even if they thought they may be having an impact on her sodium levels, may well have caused her problems with extreme anxiety and agitation. Having just been told her cancer is now in her liver and there is no more that can be done except keep her confortable and treat her symptoms would be good cause for being anxious.

Tony came today and has rung me tonight to say he has spokent to various colleagues and has done a considerable amount of research into the tremors mum has and the anxiety she is so obviously experiencing.  He called the GP and asked for the peroxetine to be prescribed again so we should get them tomorrow.  He has also said she can have 4mg of diazepam 3 times a day and if she still doesn't settle I've to give her 2.5ml of oramorph with a view to breaking the cycle and allowing her to settle.  He told me not to give her the whole bottle and then added to save a spoonful for myself!  He is going to be a Godsend, I just know it.  He was going to bring a consultant with him today but it wasn't possible so he told me tonight they're coming on Monday afternoon.

The social worker came today and from Saturday two carers will come in from 7am until 8am and at 7pm in the evening.  We will have to pay for this but don't know yet how much.  Seemingly it depends on mums pension and her savings.  Whatever the cost I'll pay it because I've realised just how valuable it will be for me to have an hour to myself at the start of the day and half an hour in the evening where I can disappear next door and have a cuppa with Gillian and the kids.

The lady from the hospice said she'd ring me tomorrow to tell me what they will offer and I'm hoping to get two nights 9pm until 7am and maybe a couple of hours during the day.  Nicola, the district nurse, is going to contact Marie Curie to see whether they can also offer something so maybe by next week things will become more manageable.

Mums mood, energy, mobility and tremors are all extremely variable.  There were points today when she was in quite good form but at others she was distant, vague, shaking from head to toe and holding her body tense, totally unable to relax.  I've asked her if she is anxious and she says she doesn't know.  Sometimes when I ask her a question she either can't answer or chooses not to.  When I say 'mum answer me' she says 'I'm thinking' but that thinking can go on for ages.  Gillian spoke to her tonight and she didn't answer, it's as if she is trying to process things but her brain is working too slow.

At about 7.30pm tonight my mums eyes were shutting and Gillian and I got her into bed.  She is now fast asleep.  I will have to wake her at 9pm to give her meds for low sodium and I'm praying that she'll settle back to sleep.  She only had 4 and a half hours of sleep last night and hasn't had a nap today so she is absolutely shattered.

So I find myself asking 'Can I cope?'  My answer?  I have to!  Tomorrow is another day, the weather forecast is good and if mum's up to it I'll take her for a wee walk mid morning as we are both going stir crazy, having not been out of the house since 10am on Tuesday.  My aunt and uncle should be here around lunch time so that will give me support until everything kicks in and we get a routine.  I will cope!!

Anonymous
  • like the others have said you are doing great, but you do need time to recharge and the MC nurses are great, a friend had them overnight and they were a great help and relief for his partner.

re the confusion or inability to answer it does sound as if it could be med related especially with the morphine and anti depressents.

I remember when I was on a morphine drip and tramadol and I thought I was answering after the question, I am told it was sometimes 10mins to the answer so try not to worry and I hope they get your mum settled.

take care   john

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline

I think that you must be totally exhausted and overwhelmed with everything that has been going on of late, and I think you need to stop being so hard on yourself! You are doing a wonderful job, no daughter could do more, but you are only human and need to grab some you time as well!! Hopefuly when the care package kicks in you will get a little more rest, it is not an easy journey and you need to  pace yourself!! Your mum is going to have good and bad days, coherent and confused days and days when she sleeps all day or not at all. You will cope, you are stronger than you know, and everything I have read makes me believe you and your Mum share the same determined spirit.

Take every offer of help, even if its just half an hour of someone visiting so that you can put your head down for 40 winks.

And mostly, try to find something that makes you and your mum smile every day, you are all each other needs just now, everything else will resolve itself. And know that everyone here is thinking of you both.xx

Love and (((hugs))) sharonxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dearest Caroline,

Don't be so hard on yourself. As everyone else has said - you are a wonderful daughter and could do no more for your Mum if you tried!

Your Mum needs that Care package in place and so do you - I know only too well how tiring it can be - and you both will benefit from others helping to do some of the basic things for your Mum and even just to give you some time, as you said to pop next door for a cuppa and see Gillian and the kids .

Also, I know that Hospice at home are going to offer whatever they can - and that may be a few hours during the day, rather than night cover as that's usually the Marie Curie nurses- take whatever they are able to offer you , but it may be a good idea to still have your Mum on the list to go into the hospice for a few days of respite care. That would give you a break and also allow them to sort out your Mum's medication properly. It may be worth asking the question, even a couple of days may make all the difference to you both.

Glad Tony's being there and so supportive! You take care of yourself Caroline, as well as your Mum. What you are doing is not at all easy . Thinking of you both and praying too. Much love, Rose x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Got mum up at 2.30am to the commode but she, unfortunately, didn't make it in time.  It seems the movicol has worked and I think with the diazepam and oramorph she was so fast asleep she just couldn't rouse herself.   However, the important thing is we coped and she is now clean, comfortable and fast asleep again.  The funny thing is I feel much more calm.  I got to sleep about 10.30pm last night and so had four hours sleep before having to get up.  Mum is sound asleep now and I will, hopefully, get another few hours.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Caroline, it has all been said already. Sending you hugs, thinking of you both, Val XX