Thursday June 24th 2010 - Another milestone!

1 minute read time.

231 days since mum was diagnosed with extensive small cell lung cancer and our world fell apart.  It was the day that the word terminal hit us like a bolt from the blue and the future looked bleak.  Since them mum has had 6 sessions of carboplatin and etoposide and10 sessions of RT to the head and chest.  Her life has been on hold as she has coped with the various side effects and extreme tiredness.  Having found out she was N.E.D. after chemo little did we know that the RT that would follow would really knock her for six and she would feel worse than she had felt throughout her journey.  The most recent issues have included confusion and shakiness due to MST and a terribly sore mouth which meant she couldn't really eat.  By yesterday she was feeling more like her old self and the only issue causing problems was the sore mouth but, thanks to my friends on here, she got Gelclair and this morning her mouth is great and she has been able to eat normally.

Having come so far it was with some trepidation that we went to see mums oncologist this morning.  We needn't have worried.  Dr. Mehta said mum had had a tough 71/2 months but had done amazingly well and now felt it was time for her to have a rest from treatments and hospitals for a while so her next appointment is in two months.  We know that's not that long but to us it is a sign that mum has won the first battle with this horrid disease and, therefore, another milestone in her journey.

We are now looking forward to our holiday in Spain.  We're all booked up and raring to get on that plane on July 31st with my uncle, aunt, cousin and her 5 year old daughter.  I can't wait!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi both, good news for you both, we are so pleased, you deserve it.  Mum is slowly recovering, although she has not been anywhere for 3 months, she is just so tired all the time and is aneamic also which doesn't help, she had an x ray, her only journey out, and we are waiting for the results.  She now has stomache trouble all the time, so that will be another round of tests ect.  Me, well I am past the point of being tired, don't sleep well and in fact sleep with one eye and ear open!!, but I am getting used to it.  Haven't had an ounce of help from nurses or helpers, so just have had to get on with it, our doc has been good, but could do with 5 mins to myself at times, sure many understand what I am on about.  Anyway both you have a great holiday to look forward to and hope you will post some photo's !!!, take care both, luv Lyn and Jess xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Lovely news Caroline l am so pleased for the both of you