Thursday April 8th - NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE!

1 minute read time.

We've just seen the oncologist and as some of you will know mums nurse had given us a heads up on the scan result and we knew it was good.  What an understatement!  Dr Mehta came into the room and said to mum "How are you?'  She gave her usual answer 'I'm fine' and he said 'I'm sure you are your scan results are great.  There is no evidence of disease!'  Mum and I were absolutely gobsmacked and couldn't believe what we were hearing so he took us through to look at the scans. 

He put her October scan and March scans side by side and then explained everything to us.  We haven't known much about mums cancer other than it was terminal extensive small cell lung cancer.  We found out today that her lymph nodes near the original tumour were also affected and she had had a slight shadow that they thought was either a collapse or fluid (pulmonary edema).  He showed us how big the tumour was in the centre of her chest and the other stuff and then showed us the same view now.  It was incredible there was nothing there at all!  No shadow, no cancer on the lymph nodes and no tumour at all!

We know there's no guarantee it's gone for good but I can't tell you how ecstatic we are at the moment.  We never dreamt we'd get such good news.  She'll now have 10 days RT to her head and chest as a belt and braces/preventative measure and then follow up appointments every 6 to 8 weeks.  Thank you to everyone who has supported me through this journey so far.  Hopefully I will now be able to spend some time supporting others.

Anonymous