Friday September 24th - Another stressful day!

4 minute read time.

THIS IS ANOTHER OF MY RANTS SO PLEASE DON'T FEEL YOU NEED TO READ IT.

When I came away from the hospital last night I felt much happier leaving mum there but tonight I could have happily wheeled her out of there and brought her home.

This morning when I rung to see how mum was I was told that she would be having her CT scan at 11.20am and the results would be back by around 5pm.  I arrived at the hospital at 2.30pm to find that mum had been taken down for her scan but had been sent back to the ward without it being done.  There was a war going on between the ward and the scan department about a cannula the ward had put in mums hand ready for the dye.  Scan department said it wouldn't flush ward disagreed.  At around 3.30pm a Doctor came and removed the cannula from mums hand and insteadput one in mums foot.  We left at 4pm being assured that mum would go for her scan soon. 

Mum was quite confused when we arrived this afternoon and her nightie was covered in coffee and food although her face was clean.  I couldn't change her nightie because of the cannula in her foot and being afraid it may get knocked out if I attempted to stand her up.  On looking through her notes I found that she wasn't eating much, referred to as poor appetite.  Mum has been eating really well so I found this hard to believe.

When I got back at 6.30pm tonight mum was still sitting in the chair in the stained nightie.  She still had the cannula in her foot and had not been for her scan.  I spoke to the staff nurse and she rung the scan dept again.  I heard her asking when mum would get her scan and then saying the problem was that if mum didn't get it the family were going to kick off big time!!  To be honest the scan was the least of my worries except that they seem to need the results before we can move forward with mums care.  To me it is obvious what the results will say, it's back and it's aggressive, it's not rocket science! 

I was more concerned with how confused and out of it mum was.  I expressed concern and asked for mums blood results.  Sodium up to 112 from 110 but potassium low.  I explained that mum usually ate a banana every day and that I had told the nurse in the ward and left bananas for mum to have as this is what she was told to do by the doctor and it had worked.  Yesterday mums potassium had been fine, the sodium was the only issue.  I also expressed concern that mum was not eating according to her notes.  The staff nurse said more of the food went on mum than in her!  I asked should they not, then, be assisting her when she was eating and she agreed that that was something they needed to start doing.  I got a banana and fed it to mum, she ate every bit.  I had also taken up a muller rice and she ate every bit of that too.  They were making out mum had no appetite and was struggling to eat any food when in actual fact they were just leaving the food infront of her and then taking it away when she had only eaten a little bit.  She is so confused that once she had put down the sandwich, to maybe have a drink, she would forget the sandwich was there.

Mum was the worst I've seen her tonight.  I had her admitted so that she could get proper care and they could stabilise her sodium level.  I have had to fight to get the correct doseage of her sodium meds and she is so much more confused than she was when she went in on Tuesday.  The deterioration has been rapid.  She is on a limited fluid intake and her output has also to be measured.  I had a look at the chart today and found that yesterday some intake had been recorded but no output and today there was nothing on the chart at all.

All I want to do is to get her through this weekend when I don't have Christine around, or the family support at the hospice, and then get her into the hospice as quickly as possible.  I feel like staging a sit in on the ward as I feel that's the only way I can make sure she is cared for and monitored properly.  The fact that I can't visit until 2.30pm tomorrow afternoon is driving me mad.  I even found myself thinking tonight what if........?  What if she continues to deteriorate over the next two days?  What if she doesn't make it to the hospice?  What if she is even more confused tomorrow and doesn't know who I am?  I said something to her tonight and she told me Caroline had told her the same thing!  I am scared I'm going to lose her because of negligence after she has fought so hard against this b*****d disease!  To see her like that  tonight was devastating.  The only thing I would say is that she doesn't seem distressed.  If I go in tomorrow and find her with that dirty nightie on I will let rip!

I have now emailed PALS twice to ask for a their assistance in making a formal complaint against the MAU.  I have had no response.  Tomorrow I will try to speak to someone at the hospital as I noticed a PALS desk at reception on the way in tonight.

Another stressful day - what an understatement!!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Caroline, its a disgrace you mum is being treated with such indignity - of course she can eat - of course she needs help.  I don't know how you didn't grab your mum there and then and take her home with you to give her the final days she has left with your love, attention and care - I bet she wouldn't be confused then.  Of course, I am ranting too for you so I know you may be unable to care for her now.  Lets hope the hospice intervenes asap.  However much the nurses want to do their job to the best of their ability, unfortunately, there just are not enough of them and that's when the most vulnerable of us seem to fall by the wayside.  Horrendous.  I sincerely hope you mum is treated in a more respectful way from now on and I think its shameful you have to complain to get what is a normal requirement of care for your mum.  She must have been in a lot of pain with a canula in her foot - I had one too.  I hope if there is someone up there looking down they are able to wrap her in cottong wool and love/care for her as she so rightly deserves.  Best of luck and love to your mum.  Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My heart sinks to read this, how disgraceful to treat your mum like this. Is there really no one around for you at the weekend? I dont think I can add to what others have said but it seems whoever shouts loudest gets the attention. I hope you and your mum have a better day today.

Clare x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caroline, I am so sorry that you and your mum are having to go through this nightmare, it just isn't the way it should be.

I am quite worried about joining the nhs when i read things like yours and some others on here. I am going into nursing to give the patients the best care i care and it worrys me that i too could make people feel the way you do if i am too busy to give the time that is needed to each individual. It is certainly something i will raise at my induction.

Keep shouting and fighting for your mum, it is disgraceful that you need to do that but what else can you do she is your lovely mum. I too hope today is a much better day for you both. Lots of love to you. XXX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

my heart also sinks when I read this, big hugs and thinking of you x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am so sorry to hear how your mum is being treated Caroline. It brings it all back as to how my own dad was treated. I don't know what is happening in the wards nowadays. They need to bring back the old style Matrons I think!

Myself and my sister took turns at staying overnight with dad and he was very rarely left on his own. I dread to think how badly he would have been treated if we hadn't been there to speak for him. When he needed pain relief, which was often, we had to ask repeatedly until someone brought it. I wish I had spoken out more because some of the situations I found dad in were appalling.

I hope things get settled down really quickly for your mum.

Thinking of you and sending some love and hugs.

Christine xx