Christmas day 2010 - A surprisingly nice day!

1 minute read time.

As you know I've been dreading this day and just didn't know how I'd get through it without mum.  I have spent the last week in tears but today, as yet, I haven't shed any. 

The reason I've had such a nice day is because of all my lovely friends, family and, of course, my adopted family.  I have had so many lovely texts and phonecalls throughout the day.  People taking time out of their day to let me know they were thinking about me, how wonderful's that?

At 8.30am Kieran, Charlotte and Gillian came bursting through the door armed with a bundle of presents.  At 9.30am we headed to Naomis where I was greeted with big beaming smiles by my three beautiful Godchildren, Thomas, Joseph and Freya.  Once again I was bombarded with gifts before we sat down to breakfast together.

After breakfast Paul and Gillian headed of to Southport to see Pauls dad while Kieran, Charlotte and myself remained with Naomi, Dave and the kids.  I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to go as I was worried I would spoil the merriment but I found the happiness of the children was infectious.

We came home at around 2.30pm and I came into the house and had some time to myself.  My other Godson, Jamie who lives in Aberdeen, phoned me at 4pm and I then had a number of phonecalls in quick succession from my cousin Fiona and her wee girl Rebecca, then my auntie and uncle and finally my friend Suz. 

Paul, Gillian and the kids had gone to Gillians sister for Christmas dinner but I had declined all dinner invites as I don't like Christmas dinner.  I had a lovely king prawn makhani followed by Christmas pudding and extra thick cream.  Paul and Gillian came in when they got back from Janets at around 7pm and have just left after a couple of Christmas drinks.

The love and care I have felt from people today has been overwhelming and I have really felt that mum has been with me.  I can't explain why I feel that I just do.  I know the tears will fall again and will probably hit me when I least expect it but today has been a surprisingly nice day!

Anonymous