My Bowel Cancer Journey

• Radiotherapy & Chemotherapy

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The time has now arrived to start my treatment and having so far had 7 consultations, 2 Colonoscopies, MRI & CT scans and several lots of bloods taken, my 25 sessions of Chemo/Radio are just around the corner…..however there is one more thing that I needed to consider before I start….fertility.

The position of my tumour was rectal, which means that radiotherapy  will  targeting my tumour from behind…

• Telling The Family

FormerMember
    FormerMember

If we go back to my earlier blog “My Diagnosis” I discussed how I was not ready at that point to tell my family…...My dad died on the 16th August 1991 from Cancer at St Gemma’s Hospice Leeds and to try and explain to my mum 20 years later that her son now has the disease that her husband died from was not going to be an easy feat.

Its now the middle of April 2010 and my plan for treatment…

• Research

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So its about 10 days since the second Colonoscopy and its time to visit my consultant to discuss my treatment plan. I first receive the test results from the biopsy and it is confirmed that I have Colorectal Cancer. My consultant then explains the location of the Cancer and my world crashes upon for me for a once again, when it is explained to me that due to its location it will mean that I will have to have a permanent…

• Diagnosis & Colonoscopy

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thursday 4th March 2010 and it’s a dry and chilly morning with frost on the ground.  Early rise and I am starving….my last meal was lunchtime the day before as I have to prepare for the procedure by ensuring that my bowels were clear. This involved a light meal at mid day and taking two sachets of a laxative during the day. The first was not too bad, but wow the second was lets say very effective.So once showered…

• Symptoms 'The Summer of 2009'

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The summer of 2009 is probably a good starting point and my birthday Friday 5th June. There is a group of us heading out for a drink starting off in Street Lane Leeds.

From what I can remember it was quite a warm evening and having not been at work that day (I try not to work on my birthday) out we went early doors. I remember going to the bathroom before leaving the house and the only reason I remember this, is…