It's been a tough week...

8 minute read time.

Wow...so I feel pretty drained this week. Dad has started on his erlotinib (tarceva)...him and mum went away last weekend just shortly after he had started taking them. It sounded like they had a lovely weekend away...everytime I spoke to Dad he sounded relaxed and happy. And so did mum...I think the break has done her the world of good too. Dad's appetite hasn't been great but when they were away he had a fry up every morning (his favourite so long as the bacon is burnt to a crisp!) and it was a carvery in the evenings so he was more than happy (he can eat a roast dinner even when he has no appetite!). I missed them both...it was the first time me and Marc (my hubby) have had to ourselves since last year. I don't mean that in a bad way...not in the slightest. We see Dad every day and if and when we are out I am always worrying and wanting to get to see him. But I knew he was having the most relaxing, lovely time so I felt more relaxed for the first time since this all began. Funnily enough me and Marc ended up having a really really lazy weekend & fell asleep on the sofa for 2 hours on the sunday...I think winding down actually made us realise how tired we are.

When Dad got home he was SO happy to see his boys (the two dogs!). We had been looking after them all weekend and been sending him picture messages of them snuggled up with us which made him laugh...they are such funny characters! I had dad in stitches on the phone one day when they were away saying how Ollie (one of the dogs) had fallen asleep in the bed with us with his bottom right near my face and he kept blowing off...the smell was AWFUL! Dad couldn't stop laughing when I told him!!!

On the monday that they got back Dad's face was REALLY red. We thought it could just be where he had caught the sun but when I kissed him goodbye he felt really hot. The next day I went in to see him after work and I didn't notice anything until he said "Look Sar..my face has come up a bit"..."don't worry though...it's just the tablets" he said...he ALWAYS makes sure I'm not worried...he'll tell me something then back it up with "don't worry though...I'll tell you what that is...all it is...". Bless him. His face was covered in spots...like acne. It upset me...I went out into the kitchen and pulled myself together...I didn't want Dad to think that I thought his face was THAT bad. It wasn't in all fairness...it just upset me that he is having to go through all this. His foot had also swollen up...his left foot/ankle. That night I really did sob to Marc...I just hate seeing Dad in pain/discomfort. And the thought that it's going to get worse just breaks my heart.

I told Dad he needed to ring the emergency number but Dad is one who never likes to complain, make a fuss etc. He doesn't want to use that number unless it's an absolute emergency. He said he would call the hospital on Wednesday morning which he did and they told him to book an appointment with the GP for his foot/ankle and also get a prescription for some steroid cream for his face. I was FUMING....of course Dad rang the doctors and there was a week wait for an appointment...I knew from my research that it COULD be a blood clot or swelling caused by his liver...the whole not knowing is AWFUL...Thankfully my mum rang the doctors and demanded that the doctor call my dad which he did and they sent him to A&E about his foot.

I was SO worried that day...I was at work and couldn't get home (I work in London and we live in Kent...) and he was going to A&E at 6pm. They then sent him for a scan on Thursday morning and thankfully it wasn't a blood clot but they don't really know what has caused the swelling...it could just be the chemo going through his body....dehydration making him retain fluid...I don't know. I have been forcing him to drink lots of water as he only really drinks tea and coffee! He proudly told me today how all morning he has only been drinking squash and fizzy lemon & lime water...bless him.

Today is the most upbeat I have heard Dad (not seen him yet...going to see him tonight!)...we were chatting on my lunchbreak and he was saying how amazing mum is being and how he thinks their weekend away did them good. Then he was saying how he had some of the chocolate I brought in for him last night and it's the first bit of chocolate he's had in a while and it was lovely....so he thinks his appetite may be slowly making a return. His skin is more flakey now than spotty which is good...he said it looks better than yesterday. The nurse also said yesterday that his skin won't stay like that throughout the treatment which was a relief as I think it's pretty itchy and uncomfortable.

Dad text me on Wednesday saying he was a bit fed up..I think lately this has all started to get to him a bit more...he said he felt like he was an incovenience to everyone...e.g. my brother had to take him to the hospital for his scan yesterday. I told him to not be so silly...we are all there for him and he is never ever an inconvenience to anyone...we are all more than happy to help and will do anything for him. We took him in an early father's day present too that night...the Status Quo album...he was sooo chuffed. It's the little things...but they really seem to perk him up :)

He just sounds so much more upbeat today. He did say that one side effect of the tablets can be depression...and he said he has felt a bit down this week. Of course he's still been laughing and joking around...even making a joke of his skin saying how he was going to wait until the spots got into one really big spot (they won't!) and then he was gonna squeeze it...haha yukkk!!! Then he said today "Marc likes really hot curries doesn't he....I'm going to smear loads of that on my ankle on sunday...that will clear the bastard up!". I asked him the other day how his "toilet" was looking...because I was worried his liver may be playing up (i really do worry with every single twinge) and he looked all serious and said "well....." and paused..."my appetite hasn't been all that good lately...so I haven't tasted TOO much of it"! I cracked up!!! His humour through all of this just amazes me. He's not stopped being my funny, dry sense of humour dad :)

It's fathers day Sunday and me, Marc and one of my other brothers are taking him for a curry. I cannot wait for that. That's one of my favourite things to do with dad...go for a curry. Sounds simple and nothing big but we love getting all the popadoms and dips etc. and I'm hoping Dad will eat a good size meal!

There have been a few family rows the last couple of weeks and I have found that hard to deal with so at times I've felt so drained and down about everything. At times it is really really hard to feel positive and upbeat...of course I am in front of dad but at times I just feel completely drained and panicky. I've had a few panic attacks during the evening and not slept great at times but nothing that I am too worried about at the moment. I have also realised who I have there for me & who I really don't. Some friends/family have been beyond amazing...others not so much & that is something I won't forgive easily...I expected it from some friends if I am honest and I think it does take something like this to make you realise who is there and who really isn't. In a few weeks me & 17 girls (friends and family) are doing race for life for Dad...those people and our other friends/family that have been there and not put any pressure on me (e.g. if i haven't wanted to go out or do something) are the ones who count.

I was talking to my manager today about it all...she lost her dad 5 years ago to exactly the same as what my dad has. She said how she was just very very grateful that she got to have 2 very good years with her dad (from diagnosis) and she spent so much quality time with him and did so much with him. This is how I need to be...grateful that Dad is still here and I am spending so much time with him...laughing, chatting, smiling, reminiscing. I really do treasure every second and feel the strongest bond with him ever. I have this time with him...no matter how long it is...to be with him and to make sure I am the best daughter to him that I can be.

Sometimes I get so upset...I beat myself up about not spending enough time with him when I was growing up...moaning at him for chomping on his food, sniffing etc. (I am VERY funny with noises...I do it with everyone!)...and generally moaning about silly things and causing him stress when I was growing up. But as Marc says...that was just me growing up...like any normal kid does. And EVERYONE moans about stuff that isn't even important...that is life.

He is right I know...and I know Dad is proud of me and I have this chance now to do everything I ever possibly can do for him. This year I have got married & passed my driving test....Dad got to see both and it made him so proud!!! Next on the list is to get insured on Marc's car and take Dad out for a spin :) Then it is buying our first house...Dad will be over the moon when we do that as we have been saving hard for years!

It's been a rough couple of weeks but positive and strong head on now. My mission this week is to keep Dad like he is today...positive, upbeat and strong! xxxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm glad your mum and dad had a nice time away, they certainly needed it!

chemo does strange things to the body, and everyone reacts differently.  I think we just sit and wait for something to go wrong and happen and worry ourselves stupid!  I think if in doubt about anything just ring either his chemo nurse of his GP, could you get his GP to give you his number for out of hours calls?  Dad's was very good like that.

Also chemo does affect the skin, it becomes thin and vunerable so it may be worth your dad wearing lots of moisturiers with a SPF in it, especially now it is summer (intermittently).  Maybe worth asking about an anti histermine (sp?)

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Molly,

How are you doing? Thank you for always reading my blogs and for posting such
    lovely & very helpful comments. Apologies for not replying to your previous
    comment on one of my blog posts...I need to come on here more!

Dad's skin is looking a little better...he has been given steroid cream which
    has definitely helped. He has bad spots on his face, chest, neck, arms but worse
    over his back. He spoke to the nurse on the phone & she said his skin should
    clear up...he never moans about it bless him...he just says it's a "small price
    to pay"! He did say he feels a bit self conscious but I reassure him that they
    are not that bad and who cares if people stare...they are marks to show he is
    fighting this evil disease!

He seems a bit more upbeat lately..it's so hard because somedays it feels
    like there is nothing seriously wrong with him...then it hits you and it's
    heartbreaking. But for now he is doing ok and we must just take one day at a
    time.

How are you coping hun? I hope you are ok. Sending a big hug. Thank you
    again xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sarah,

I'm ok, it's strange as time goes by the cancer memories fade which is nice in a way, but then I can't understand why he isn't here anymore.  As you say some days it's like all is well and I get days like that too, that dad could just be at work or at home and I'll see him at the weekend.  But then it's strange as I have never expected him to ring me, ever, and we spoke a few times a day and always have.  I am starting to look for him though, yearning to see someone who looks like him, not hoping it is him, but someone who looks like him so i can just stare at them.  In a little over a week it'll be two years since his diagnosis, I remember clear as day sat outside the pub after and thinking 'omg my dad has cancer' little did I know he would die before the year was out.

I'm glad your dad is upbeat, it really does help.  He's doing it for you, but it will help him also.  It's just absolutely amazing how much you learn from them during these difficult times, how gracious and brave they are, how utterly fantastic.  I know I would be an absolute wreck and would be crying at every opportunity!!

Dad developed some skin lesion things, they are liver spots apparently (nothing to do with his cancer or any cancer, just an aging skin thing I think) anyway he got a lot of them in the end, particularly on his head and he was conscious of them.  I remember once he was being hoisted and I looked at his head and thought, that's my dad.  I touched one of them and he asked what it was, when I said he was concerned there were loads of them and he was embarassed.  He needn't have worried at all.

As ever I think you are doing incredibly well and your relationship with your dad is so strong and that will really help you. xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Molly,

Your post made me well up :( I can't imagine how you must feel and it
    frightens me that I will lose my dad to this evil disease. I have good and bad
    days...sometimes I feel completely heartbroken and burst into tears
    constantly...and proper sob. Other days it doesn't feel like it's
    happening...then it hits me. It's hard to feel any sence of 'happiness' because
    I always think how can I be laughing/smiling when my dad is going through
    this...but then I know he doesn't want me to be sad and I know he wants me to
    carry on living my life as best I can and do things I enjoy.

I text my dad every morning...call him at lunch...text him in the
    afternoon..call him after work..then go and see him every night. When I write
    that down it seems a bit excessive but it doesn't feel like it to me. I don't
    want any regrets ever so I am doing all I can for him now and spending as much
    time with him and chatting to him as I can. When I look at him it's hard to
    accept that he is terminally ill...he just looks like my dad to me & apart
    from the tiredness & bad skin you would never know he was seriously ill.

I do think about the future a lot and I do feel so scared about how I will
    ever cope without him. He is like my best friend and I speak to/see him so much
    that I cannot imagine not doing that...

I feel very anxious all the time lately..tight chest, trouble sleeping, panic
    attacks...but I don't want to be put on anti-depressants or anything like that
    just now because i know things are going to get a lot lot worse and I need to
    just be strong now & only get something like that if and when I really need
    it.

You sound so incredibly brave...thank you again for your kind words xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sarah,

I felt exactly the same as you before dad died and I absolutely promise you will cope, you really will.  The feeling that was totally dominant for me was relief, watching dad suffer as he did was heartbreaking and when he got an infection it was a god send because he could go without prolonging the suffering anymore.  Now as much as I miss him I wouldn't bring him back for anything in the world if it meant he had to go through that again, no way.  But now he's gone, I can feel him.  I couldn't at first but it comes.  I know he's always there with me, I know he's looking after me.  I remember being in a meeting at work and feeling upset and I was on the verge of screaming that I couldn't cope and I just felt a warm sensation around me like his arms comforting me and it had an amazing effect.  I just felt at peace.  In a way having him as my angel means he is with me much more than he ever was before.  And if I ask him what to do, he will guide me.  Once I almost heard him shout at me to wait at the bus stop with mum, it felt so real, so overwhelming.

I hear you with the anxiety too.  I used to suffer with it (now I know for no reason!) and I was frightened how I would feel after, would I just have panic attacks all the time, become frightened to go out, how it would physically affect me.  Your body is extremely resiliant though and almost goes into protection mode to get you through.  I always had visions of myself screaming, crying and collapsing at his funeral, but it was a really nice service.  What I'm trying to say is don't fear what is going to come.  As awful as cancer is, it is deepening your relationship with your dad and you can only be grateful for that.  And the level of contact you have doesn't sound excessive, i think we talked even more than that.  I think dad would only go an hour before he was ringing me again! 

I don't think you need anti depressants, just make sure you have some relaxation time every day, deep breathing and clear your mind.  Have a glass of wine and soak your feet, anything to make you relax. 

Your dad will never want you to not be happy, so when you want to smile, smile. When you want to laugh, do so because he wants you too.  If you want a glass of wine, toast him.

Take care xxx