Our meeting with the Oncologist

2 minute read time.

Well, we made it to the hospital by dosing John up with pain killers and anti-nausea pills.  He was retching again this morning because he was dreading the appointment and feeling absolutely wiped out by the time we got there.  His daughter met us there and we eventually went in only half an hour late.

The oncologist saw him personally although the appointment letter had stated that he was only seeing the registrar.  To cut a long story short, he didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, i.e that the chemo hasn't made any difference to the tumours.  The original tumour is still there and there is a 2cm spot on the liver that wasn't there before.

He said that they had been very concerned about him when he was admitted to hospital a couple of weeks ago with diarrhoea and that he had made a better recovery than they'd anticipated because of his debilitated state.  I'm not sure why they gave us all that 'bumph' about participating in a chemo trial because the oncologist doesn't consider that it would be of any benefit.  Nor does he think that John is up to any more chemo. 

So all we have to do now is try to build his strength up, control his pain and sickness and take great care of him, which is what we're already trying to do.  He is out of the care of the oncologist now and falls under palliative care, although the oncologist did say he would be available if we needed to talk to him.

I think I already knew what he was going to say but hearing the words spoken out loud makes it all so real.  We're all stunned at the moment.  I feel quite numb, John's daughter has gone home (to have a good cry I think) and John is lying down recovering from it all. 

I know the chemo has bought us a little time - the oncologist did say that John probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for the treatment - but at what cost?  My lovely, lovely man is a shadow of his former self.  He's gone down to 9st in weight, has no hair, no energy and little interest in life.  The chemo has affected his sight so that he can't read and can hardly bear to watch the television and his fingers and toes are numb.  He's also full of pain most of the time which the oncologist says is not down to the cancer.

So I suppose we're just playing the waiting game like many others on this site.  Well, if that's the case, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.  I never guessed when John retired that life would turn out like this and I feel very, very bitter about what life's dished out to him.  What has he done to deserve all this?  First a heart bypass, then sciatica, then a strangulated hernia and now (the worst of all the blows), this terrible, terrible disease!  I could write a few choice swear words right now but I'll keep them to myself.

All I will say is "Life's a BITCH!" 

A very bitter Madge x x x x x

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

So sorry the news could not have been better. I have said it to many and will say it again, take all the help that is on offer to you, be it family, friends, health care professionals, Mac etc. It is so very hard to play the waiting game. It is all still very raw for me but all can do is send you much love and let you know I will be thinking of you all. xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Madge,dont know what to say really,you never know if you build him up and get him stronger,you could ask again if there is a different chemo John could try.Our Dr asked pete 5 weeks ago if he wanted to carry on with treatment and of course Pete said lets crack on so he is on cetixumab to slow the disease down and to try to stop the spread,now he as got stronger been off the chemo so they will consider it again in the next few weeks,but as you know every case is different,i send you and John hugs. Chris xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Such sad news, as mummy'sgirl has said, take all help that is offered. I know the words you want to say Madge and ive just had a rant on your behalf to my hubby. We both send you lots of love and are  thinking of you all

Shaz & Dave xxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh Madge, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having to go through all of this.  It is some comfort that the palliative care team can be wonderful when dealing with symptom control: they seem to know more than hospitals about all that.  We were in your position only one week ago and now that we've had a week to think about it all it's still painful but we're able to think more calmly about the challenges ahead.

Two people have given me a piece of advice in the last week which has been hard to follow but is essential: keep your chin up.  So that's my advice to you, poor as it may be, but keep your chin up.

So much love and hugs, Loobee xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Madge my heart is breaking for you and John and I must admit I shed a tear reading this.  Having read your blogs recently and, having been through a similar time with my mum, I can't say I wasn't expecting it but I was praying so hard that it wouldn't be such bad news for you and John.  Like John mum was told that without the chemo she wouldn't still be here and that it had bought her time but, like you, I couldn't help but think 'at what cost?'.  I hope the palliative team get Johns pain and nausea under control quickly, mum's team were great.  Sending you both lots of love, hugs and prayers.  Caroline XX