First Outing since coming out of hospital!

1 minute read time.

Today didn't start so well.  John was still in a lot of pain and I didn't go to my writing class as planned.  My sister would have sat with him but I couldn't bear to leave him as he gets in such a muddle over his drugs and my sister is none too well herself.  She still came to see us which we both enjoyed but John didn't get dressed until lunchtime as he didn't feel up to it.

The District Nurse came to call after lunch and examined his pressure points.  It did make me laugh!  She asked if she could have a look at John's bottom and I said that he would let anyone look at his bottom!  He duly obliged and she anointed him with cream - my special healing aloe vera moisturising gel.  I've kept a record of all the pain meds he's been having and she said that he's been having the absolute limit for the time being but they may be increased if the steroids don't have any effect after the week's trial.

Then, after she'd gone, John announced that he wanted to come out with me and Gemma (our little dog) to sit in the car and look at the sea while we went for a walk.  I was a little dubious but we loaded up the car with the sick bowl and tissues, etc and off we went.  Gemma was very reluctant to leave him sitting in the car but we did manage a little stroll before I gave up and helped him into our friendly beach cafe.  There we met our friends with their lovely bassett hound, Huckleberry (Gemma's boyfriend) and John really brightened up.  He managed to drink a cup of tea and had a lovely chat and he looks so much better now.  He's recovering on the sofa before I cook his tea but I'm so glad he managed to venture out.

I'm much more confident that we will make it to the hospital tomorrow.  John's daughter is coming to help out but John's not sure that he wants her to be there when the oncologist sees him.  I think she should be there because she is very involved now and might think of some questions that we overlook.  We'll see.  John can be very stubborn at times.

So, fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Madge x x x x x x

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm glad he managed a lovely trip out, he must feel worlds better for just having seen a bit of something different. I'll be thinking of you at your hospital appointment and keeping everything crossed for a bit of good news for you both xxxx